The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LA Noire

The Ghost of Tom Joad

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am enjoying it so far it is not exactly what I expected, I figured there would be some extras to do. Overall it is a great presentation I'm not finished but the story has been captivating enough. But I guess that is most peoples problem though that it was hyped up to be so much more than it is, oh well I'm happy I bought it.

Finished the game last night. Definitely a story driven game, do not expect lots of action. It's more verbal dialogue with bits of action in between. With that said, I found the story very Compelling and loved the twist halfway through the last mission. Could have used a different ending, sucks how they wrapped it up but I understand why they did it like that. Got a few more cars to drive and reels to find. Might play through again in a month or so.

8/10

UGH! beware LA Noire or the new 3.61 firmware bricks your PS3 it happened to me a few days ago hard to say whats to blame but its happening on Xbox 360 too. I have the older fat 60gig a lot of people are having the same problem with the older systems beware!

I haven't had any issues thankfully!

I'm around halfway through this game, and still have a bazillion cars to find.

Yeahi it sucks :( great game from which i played i wish i knew about it before i installed it, im not sure what ill do but sony should give me a new ps3 if you search the net the 3.61 firmware is giving the red light of death to a lot of the fat old 60 and 80 gig and is causing them to over heat, i just want to spread the word so anyone else doesnt have to go through that.

A tip on getting the cars. As youre playing the game, just stop and take Random peoples cars stopped at lights. You don't need to drive it, just get in and then take the one behind it etc. Also, do the same in parking lots as you come across them. When I finished the game I had 5 more cars to drive which took me about an hour to find.

So I finished the game the other day. After listening to so many people rail about the ending, I was expecting it to be awful but it actually wasn't bad at all. Solid game, not as good as I imagined it would be overall, but nevertheless, something different from most games out there.

• 4 months later...

As a heads up, this game is finally going to be released for PC in 3 days. Don't really know if that effects anyone here at this point, as I'm pretty sure whoever wanted to play it, probably already has for console.

Personally, I think the 6 month wait was ridiculous, but I guess late is better then never, like with the Red Dead Redemption no show. The fact that it's coming with all the DLC included is probably incentive enough for me to buy it.

As a heads up, this game is finally going to be released for PC in 3 days. Don't really know if that effects anyone here at this point, as I'm pretty sure whoever wanted to play it, probably already has for console.

Personally, I think the 6 month wait was ridiculous, but I guess late is better then never, like with the Red Dead Redemption no show. The fact that it's coming with all the DLC included is probably incentive enough for me to buy it.

I'll get this game eventually when the price drops further.

RDR is a decent game (and I wish Skyrim's graphics would have the same quality), but for me it got a little bit too repetitive halfway through the campaign. I barely finished the game, if it weren't for the story. I don't think the PC players are missing much.

I've only played a bit of RDR, but I've heard much of the same thing. As I mentioned in the GTA thread, GTA IV was a bit of a drag like that for me. Still wouldn't mind going through RDR because of the fact that I'm a huge fan of Westerns. Would agree that I'm not likely missing much, but I guess it's existence at least would be appreciated.

As for LA Noire, it sounds like they put an actual effort into this port. If they did, it'd be a welcome change from the GTA IV PC port, which was both ugly and buggy. Also hope this time they don't make you jump through a hundred hoops to install and load the game.

I think you'll enjoy RDR if you don't spend too much time on side quests and other quirky stuff Because if you explore too much, you'll find the environment rather dull since you spend a significant portion of time traveling back and forth on horseback. Combat is also quite uninteresting thanks to the slow-mo ability and aim assist. Did I mention health regen and healing potions?

I do explore a lot, and don't really consider a game complete until I do most of the sidequests. So I guess that's not a good thing, lol.

I'm not bothered about things like getting achievements, or gathering hidden items and the such, but I try to make sure that every NPC in the town/country/world/galaxy has their problems sorted out. It can sometimes stretch the game to very tedious levels, but at the same time those quests can sometimes offer their own sense of satisfaction. If a game has to be described with a tag like "It's fun, but you have to try not to distract yourself with it's sidequests", then I don't know that I could call it a good game to begin with.

For the people here that called LA Noire boring and repetitive, what is it that makes it like that? From what I can gather is, it's that it plays less like an actual game, and more like a "choose your own adventure" story. The more recent trend of games being 50+% cutscene has annoyed me to no end, but I would think it'd work in a game like this. You know, letting the story play itself out, while paying attention to all the details, and making informed decisions based on them. I appreciate film noir, and love those hard-boiled detective tales. I even more so love the idea of being able to solve mysteries like those through my own investigative work. Is there a specific reason it doesn't work. Are the cases you're given bland? Is it the gameplay so procedural that there's no satisfaction in closing a case? I guess I'll probably find out for myself when I play the game.

I do explore a lot, and don't really consider a game complete until I do most of the sidequests. So I guess that's not a good thing, lol.

I'm not bothered about things like getting achievements, or gathering hidden items and the such, but I try to make sure that every NPC in the town/country/world/galaxy has their problems sorted out. It can sometimes stretch the game to very tedious levels, but at the same time those quests can sometimes offer their own sense of satisfaction. If a game has to be described with a tag like "It's fun, but you have to try not to distract yourself with it's sidequests", then I don't know that I could call it a good game to begin with.

Straight up both games are good just don't expect to much from either. RDR is an awesome western setting I personally love it and of course the side missions get a little tedious and the map isn't quite as big as I'd like it to be but that is a common problem with lots of these type of games. LA Noire is different that way as the map is pretty huge but there is not much to do on it besides find cars you haven't driven yet, so as far as the map goes it is very nice but not much interaction and no side quests(unless you include the car thing) so I'd give RDR the edge that way. But how fun the game play can be is up to each person I compare LA Noire to playing a season of CSI or something, lots of stuff is going on and you basically sit back and make key decisions and there are multiple ways to solve each case and you can go back to redo single cases as well if you screw up or want to do it a different way. Lots of the people who complain about LA Noire imo are just expecting to much it's a game and gaming is an evolution and this is step #1 for this genre, if you expect major action and to run around causing GTA like mayhem the your going to be disappointed but this is a good game if you take it for what it is. The only drawback I might give it is I would rather have waited and gotten it used but the game looks terrific and I enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Archived