The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edmonton determined to be last?

Yeah Jones has played great, I didn't know he had been picked up off waivers until someone mentioned it( just started watching this year b/c of Eberle but I cheer for the whole team now, well after the nucks). He kind of reminds me of Burr when he first got called up/1st full season with the canucks. If he could get goals on even 1/4 of his short handed chances he'd probably lead the league in that category. I think it would be stupid for the Oil to let him go, but from everything I've heard about contract talks sounds good so hopefully he'll be back next season. He also seems to have a great attitude which is important.

It's mind boggling just how bad Edmonton's team defense and goaltending is. I've seen Dubnyk play reasonably well on many nights, but wow does he ever get hung up to dry sometimes. Edmonton's top 6 needs to get a guy like Shea Weber in the offseason, and draft Adam Larsson with that number one pick. Whitney is a solid dman but I'd put him at no.3 on most good teams. Smid is a decent bottom pair guy, maybe even 2nd pair. Other than that, that blueline needs to be gutted because it is pretty ugly. Guys like Peckham and Macintyre and strudwick for chrissake... season was mailed in a long time ago.

In my view, they have 4 decent D, Whitney, Gilbert, Foster, and Smid. Their defense (and team as a whole) has played more poorly than should be expected. Foster's production dropped 50% compared to last year, which is huge.

Whitney is not that far under a point per game and +13, he's showing he's a top pair guy in my view.

The team itself is simply a shambles in every way.

The most any player on the team has in power play points is 11. They are far and away the league worst in goal differential at -73.

The Oilers have forwards with good offensive possibilities, I'd think they should go for the defenseman (if they do win the lottery).

And then once they fail some more, it will be time to can Renney and get a coach that will build something other than a collection of picks.

I personally believe they are not trying on purpose just so they can chose 1st again. There's no evidence on it, and Oiler fans can say what they want, but I do believe thats Tambellini's plan, which is build the team with 1st overall picks and early draft picks. Pretty much the "loser" way, or the "easy way" out, cause he's not a skilled gm as Gillis. A method any plug can do, even I can do that with the team.

I do believe they did try to win as much games, (make the playoffs) early on in the season, then the injuries happened again, (what a coincidence) they fell behind in the standings, then probably decided that they will probably not make it anyways, might as well go down all the way, and get the 1st pick again. Anyways, let them do that. I don't give a crap about that sad Organization. They have a lot of good prospects, MPS, Gagner, and Eberle doesn't scare me, Hall and Nugent Hopkins scare me though, but what ever. Not afraid of them, and their future. I will bet against them ever becoming as good as Chicago in their prime. because I don't believe Tambellini is a good gm at all.

I personally believe they are not trying on purpose just so they can chose 1st again. There's no evidence on it, and Oiler fans can say what they want, but I do believe thats Tambellini's plan, which is build the team with 1st overall picks and early draft picks. Pretty much the "loser" way, or the "easy way" out, cause he's not a skilled gm as Gillis. A method any plug can do, even I can do that with the team.

I do believe they did try to win as much games, (make the playoffs) early on in the season, then the injuries happened again, (what a coincidence) they fell behind in the standings, then probably decided that they will probably not make it anyways, might as well go down all the way, and get the 1st pick again. Anyways, let them do that. I don't give a crap about that sad Organization. They have a lot of good prospects, MPS, Gagner, and Eberle doesn't scare me, Hall and Nugent Hopkins scare me though, but what ever. Not afraid of them, and their future. I will bet against them ever becoming as good as Chicago in their prime. because I don't believe Tambellini is a good gm at all.

There is a difference between players trying to lose, which I do not think is the case, and management putting the players in the situation to make it harder to win. Giving them a coach who has never succeeded? Not the players fault. Expecting a coach who couldn't win with stronger rosters to win with this weaker roster doesn't make sense, unless it's to stick to the plan and scrape out the losses, get picks, then jettison the coach for a winning coach once the losing coach has led the team to great draft positions...

It's mind boggling just how bad Edmonton's team defense and goaltending is. I've seen Dubnyk play reasonably well on many nights, but wow does he ever get hung up to dry sometimes. Edmonton's top 6 needs to get a guy like Shea Weber in the offseason, and draft Adam Larsson with that number one pick. Whitney is a solid dman but I'd put him at no.3 on most good teams. Smid is a decent bottom pair guy, maybe even 2nd pair. Other than that, that blueline needs to be gutted because it is pretty ugly. Guys like Peckham and Macintyre and strudwick for chrissake... season was mailed in a long time ago.

There is a difference between players trying to lose, which I do not think is the case, and management putting the players in the situation to make it harder to win. Giving them a coach who has never succeeded? Not the players fault. Expecting a coach who couldn't win with stronger rosters to win with this weaker roster doesn't make sense, unless it's to stick to the plan and scrape out the losses, get picks, then jettison the coach for a winning coach once the losing coach has led the team to great draft positions...

I doubt that the Oilers are trying to finish last, but for tonight at least, I'd be more than happy to see them take another step in that direction. ;)

BTW: I'm already on record saying that I think Tamby has to take a stud defenseman in the draft. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take a run at a FA as well.... (just not another Sheldon Souray :P )

Archived