The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

HONOLULU — Officials say a tsunami watch has been issued for the entire western coast of the United States and Canada from the Mexican border to Chignik Bay in Alaska.

The Tsunami Warning Center in Alaska issued the watch after a massive earthquake hit Japan.

The watch alert came after the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii issued a tsunami warning for a large swath of the Pacific including Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and Central and South America.

Tsunami watches are issued as an advance alert to areas that could be impacted by a tsunami. Tsunami warnings are issued due to the imminent threat of a tsunami.

Russian authorities on Friday evacuated some 11,000 residents from Pacific islands in anticipation of tsunami waves.

The regional emergency officials said that the tsunami could hit several coastal towns and villages on four Pacific islands, which the Soviet Union seized from Japan in the final days of the World War II. The islands lie as close as 10 kilometres to Japan's Hokkaido island.

The first tsunami wave was 50 centimetres when it reached the village of Malo-Kurilks, the Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said. There were no immediate reports of damage.

Authorities on the Kamchatka Peninsula further north said the tsunami posed no danger to the area.

Kamchatka, which juts into the Pacific, is studded with active volcanoes, some of which were spewing gases to a height of up to 5,800 metres Friday, prompting authorities to issue warning to planes in the area.

Kamchatka volcanoes are part of the "Ring of Fire" string of volcanoes encircling the Pacific.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110311/tsunami-warning-pacific-110311/20110311?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Japanese TV talking of problems with two nuclear reactors.

I don't know what this means but I hope the situation doesn't escalate anymore than it already has.

Tsunami watch for Haida Gwaii, Bella Coola, Bella Bella and parts of Vancouver Island's west coast has been upgraded to an advisory.

Govt declares state of emergency regarding possible radiation leak at Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Crap.

Edit: I hope the Japanese government can get this under control ASAP. I'm no expert but radiation leaks can be just brutal for the long-term aftermath.

Edited by Sacha Michel

you are correct.

No, he's not correct. An advisory is a downgrade from a warning.

The Tsunami Warning continues in effect for the coastal areas of California and Oregon from Point Concepcion, California to the Oregon-Washington border.

The Tsunami Warning continues in effect for the coastal areas of Alaska from Amchitka Pass, Alaska (125 miles W of Adak) to Attu, Alaska.

The Tsunami Advisory continues in effect for the coastal areas of California from the California-Mexico border to Point Concepcion, California.

The Tsunami Advisory continues in effect for the coastal areas of Washington, British Columbia and Alaska from the Oregon-Washington border to Amchitka Pass, Alaska (125 miles W of Adak).

A Tsunami Warning means that all coastal residents in the warning area who are near the beach or in low-lying regions should move immediately inland to higher ground and away from all harbors and inlets including those sheltered directly from the sea. Those feeling the earth shake, seeing unusual wave action, or the water level rising or receding may have only a few minutes before the tsunami arrival and should move immediately. Homes and small buildings are not designed to withstand tsunami impacts. Do not stay in these structures.

All residents within the warned area should be alert for instructions broadcast from their local civil authorities. A tsunami has been recorded.

A Tsunami Advisory means that a tsunami capable of producing strong currents or waves dangerous to persons in or very near the water is expected. Significant, widespread inundation is not expected for areas under an advisory. Currents may be hazardous to swimmers, boats, and coastal structures and may continue for several hours after the initial wave arrival.

http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2011/03/11/lhvpd9/04/messagelhvpd9-04.htm

Has anybody heard any news about Midway, Wake, Guam or the Marshalls? They are right in the path of the worst part.

The Guam beaches have been evacuated about 20 minutes ago.

California expected to have 3 foot waves and strong currents around 8am PST.

The Guam beaches have been evacuated about 20 minutes ago.

California expected to have 3 foot waves and strong currents around 8am PST.

I would think that Guam can't be too long off getting hit.

Midway and Wake have a highest elevation of 6m apparently so if they get hit at all they are in serious trouble. The islands might not survive.

I would think that Guam can't be too long off getting hit.

Midway and Wake have a highest elevation of 6m apparently so if they get hit at all they are in serious trouble. The islands might not survive.

Unfortunately the reporters were saying that the waves had higher elevation than some Pacific islands. There have been conflicting reports though so hopefully they're in the wrong- or only going with the worse case scenario.. :(

Edit: Don't mind my ignorance but who/what is Gadhaffis?

Edited by Sacha Michel

Unfortunately the reporters were saying that the waves had higher elevation than some Pacific islands. There have been conflicting reports though so hopefully they're in the wrong- or only going with the worse case scenario.. :(

Edit: Don't mind my ignorance but who/what is Gadhaffis?

The soon to be ex-leader of Libya?

You know, the guy who likes killing his own people for sport?