The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

If the earthquake happened in the middle of some godforsaken uninhabited nowhere with little or no human casualties or damage, do we at least get a tsunami out of it that we can sit glued in front of our computers watching CNN and reading every tweet about in anticipation?

If the earthquake happened in the middle of some godforsaken uninhabited nowhere with little or no human casualties or damage, do we at least get a tsunami out of it that we can sit glued in front of our computers watching CNN and reading every tweet about in anticipation?

YOUR HURRICANE HEADQUARTERS!

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/weather/0805/hurricane.tracker/

I just read that there was an earthquake in New West on Facebook. Can anyone comfirm? I'm not at home right now :P so I just wanna know if everything's okay, since I'm half way around the world right now.

Edited by warmplate

No idea about New West. I checked usgs earthquake site, but i didn't see anything posted yet.

There was a 4.2 at 2:37 am north of vancouver island though.

Could the Big One be coming soon? mellow.gif I'll give it a couple of days.

I was thinking about it. Wouldn't the recent 6.4 and the countless aftershocks release a lot of the pressure off the plates, meaning the big one would be held back even longer.

Or what if the big one doesn't even hit Vancouver but maybe more north or south from Vancouver.

I was thinking about it. Wouldn't the recent 6.4 and the countless aftershocks release a lot of the pressure off the plates, meaning the big one would be held back even longer.

Or what if the big one doesn't even hit Vancouver but maybe more north or south from Vancouver.

That's what some people seem to say, but you never know. Back in july 2004, northern vancouver island had two earthquakes 4 days apart with an almost identical epicentre. The first was a smaller 5.8 and the 2nd was a bigger 6.1. The 2nd waspretty scary. Felt like thunder from below in the middle of the night. Who knows. I'll be wearing my helmet full-time for the next week and staying out of highrises. :P

Edited by The Brahma Bull

That's what some people seem to say, but you never know. Back in july 2004, northern vancouver island had two earthquakes 4 days apart with an almost identical epicentre. The first was a smaller 5.8 and the 2nd was a bigger 6.1. The 2nd waspretty scary. Felt like thunder from below in the middle of the night. Who knows. I'll be wearing my helmet full-time for the next week and staying out of highrises. :P

I hear the highrises are pretty safe :P

I think it was a different fault line, wasn't cascadia.

Does anyone have any information on British Columbia's Building Codes in regard to earthquakes? Any links would be appreciated. For buildings now being built, what earthquake magnitude are they designed to withstand? Are they forcing them to build to a magnitude of a megaquake 9+'ish?

For older buildings, what that are they generally designed to withstand? I'm mainly interested in hospitals, bridges, highrises.

Edited by The Brahma Bull

Does anyone have any information on British Columbia's Building Codes in regard to earthquakes? Any links would be appreciated. For buildings now being built, what earthquake magnitude are they designed to withstand? Are they forcing them to build to a magnitude of a megaquake 9+'ish?

http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/hazard-alea/zoning/haz-eng.php

http://www.bcbuildinginfo.com/display_topic.php?division_id=2&topic_title_id=47&topic_id=212

• Upvote 1

For older buildings, what that are they generally designed to withstand? I'm mainly interested in hospitals, bridges, highrises.

No, they aren't built to withstand a 9.0, it won't be that big when it hits us, the fault line is off the coast.

It works both ways.

From the US Geological Survey, on the 9.0 earthquake that triggered a tsunami on March 11 in Japan:

The March 11 earthquake was preceded by a series of large foreshocks over the previous two days, beginning on March 9th with a M 7.2 event approximately 40 km from the epicenter of the March 11 earthquake, and continuing with another three earthquakes greater than M 6 on the same day.

It works both ways.

From the US Geological Survey, on the 9.0 earthquake that triggered a tsunami on March 11 in Japan:

The March 11 earthquake was preceded by a series of large foreshocks over the previous two days, beginning on March 9th with a M 7.2 event approximately 40 km from the epicenter of the March 11 earthquake, and continuing with another three earthquakes greater than M 6 on the same day.

Contrary to popular belief, foreshocks are usually relative to the size of the earthquake. The 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake had a 7.3 forshock in 2002. Also, the most destructive types of Earthquakes are megathrust (like the one in Japan this year) which is what the big one will be. It depends on where you live really, Richmond should be worried about drowning, Vancouver should be worried about crumbling and the valley should be worried about suffocating from Mt. Baker erupting.

Edited by Comfortably_Numb

Contrary to popular belief, foreshocks are usually relative to the size of the earthquake. The 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake had a 7.3 forshock in 2002. Also, the most destructive types of Earthquakes are megathrust (like the one in Japan this year) which is what the big one will be. It depends on where you live really, Richmond should be worried about drowning, Vancouver should be worried about crumbling and the valley should be worried about suffocating from Mt. Baker erupting.

We should all be given mandatory jetpacks. Seriously, if this was harry potter, we'd just be able to hop on our brooms and escape.