The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

There was:

An earthquake struck off the west side of Vancouver Island early Thursday morning, the second temblor to hit the area in less than a week.

However, the U.S. Geological Survey said the magnitude 4.0 quake was unlikely to do any damage and there are no reports of the earthquake being felt.

"This is likely an aftershock of the magnitude 6.3 earthquake of Friday, Sept. 9. There are no reports of damage, and none would be expected," said a statement from the USGS.

The quake struck at 4:02 a.m. ET, 91 kilometres west-southwest of Gold River, B.C. at a depth of 25 kilometres beneath the Earth's crust.

It was one of six quakes that struck between midnight and just after 4 a.m. along the Pacific Coast, from Baja, Mexico up to Alaska.

On Sept. 9, a more powerful magnitude 6.3 quake struck in the same location off Vancouver Island. That temblor was felt across southwest B.C. and Vancouver Island, in the city of Vancouver and as far away as Kelowna. It spawned more than 100 aftershocks, ranging from magnitude 4.9 down to as low as magnitude 1.

That quake was the most powerful to hit the area since Nov. 2, 2004 when a magnitude 6.6 quake occurred.

http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110915/quake-bc-earthquake-vancouver-island-110915/20110915/?hub=MontrealHome

Tremor swarms occur about every 14 months along the cascadia fault, the last one ended in September of last year, the next is due soon. Scientists believe that these swarms may be the catalyst that sets off the big one, as in a swarm begins and then it all lets go. So, if it's going to be this year, it could be anytime now and those quakes running right up the coast of North America could be precurser quakes, hard to say.

Tremor swarms occur about every 14 months along the cascadia fault, the last one ended in September of last year, the next is due soon. Scientists believe that these swarms may be the catalyst that sets off the big one, as in a swarm begins and then it all lets go. So, if it's going to be this year, it could be anytime now and those quakes running right up the coast of North America could be precurser quakes, hard to say.

The ETS (episodic tremor and slip)? Is that what you're talking about? Some earthquake blogger said it may have started sooner than normal (august). I remember posting it somewhere a few weeks ago, but i don't know how much credibility that person warrants. Still interesting.

I believe that this is the show that has the mud core data, very new information.

http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/discovery-presents/monster-quake-are-we-there-yet/

If your new to this thread and haven't seen this program on discovery channel, you should watch it here. It's the latest earthquake data mainly from the Canadian & US Geological Survey Scientists and the data is mind blowing.

Edited by aliboy

OK, so that was for last year, ending in September, so this year we could start anytime between now and the end of November, which makes those quakes up the coast last night a little more interesting, as the timing is just about right.

sorry, i found the blog from this year. http://www.pnsn.org/WEBICORDER/DEEPTREM/summer2011.html

They've been saying that ever since the San Fransisco quake of '89. And I'm sure long before that one as well. It could happen, it may never happen in our lifetimes.

Very, very high chance that it will happen in the next 200 years. I'm super dramatic so I buy into this whole 4 corners earthquake thinger. It's coming!! emot-parrot.giffrantics.gif