The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

A magnitude 4.5 earthquake struck southern Maine shortly after 7 p.m. ET and was felt in Boston:

7:31PM EDT October 16. 2012 - A magnitude 4.5 earthquake struck southern Maine shortly after 7 p.m. ET and was felt in Boston.

The U.S. Geological Survey says the quake, about 17 miles deep, was centered near Lake Arrowhead.

No reports so far of any damage.

The USGS says the New England region has "felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from infrequent larger ones since colonial times. Moderately damaging earthquakes strike somewhere in the region every few decades, and smaller earthquakes are felt roughly twice a year."

http://www.usatoday....41/?sf6651777=1

There's 100s of earthquakes a day, you don't have to report them all :bigblush:

Well if it's like in Montreal, Boston, California (Major cities) or near by Vancouver then I just post 'em.

If it's outside of North America then no, unless it's over 7.0 magnitude.

lol

You post everything for your post count.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Magnitude 7.7 just hit in the Queen Charlottes region

A tsunami Warning is now in effect which includes the coastal areas of British Columbia and Alaska from the north tip of Vancouver Island, British Columbia to Cape Decision, Alaska (85 miles SE of Sitka). - Event details: Preliminary magnitude 7.1 (Mwp) earthquake / Lat: 52.863, Lon: -131.942 at 2012-10-28T03:04:11Z Tsunami warnings mean that a tsunami with significant widespread inundation is expected, or occurring. Warnings indicate that widespread dangerous coastal flooding accompanied by powerful currents is possible and may continue for several hours after the initial wave arrival.

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=e03a6e895721fff1&source=pa&hl=en&gl=US

Felt it here in Quesnel, whole house shook, light fixtures swinging, broken glass wind chimes all over the floor and then got the after effects from the one in Montana as well. Hope all the family on the island is on their way down the tsunami evac route right now........

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe

Felt it here in Quesnel, whole house shook, light fixtures swinging, broken glass wind chimes all over the floor and then got the after effects from the one in Montana as well. Hope all the family on the island is on their way down the tsunami evac route right now........

All the way in Quesnel? Wow. Amazing.

Yikes. Be safe BB!

Even some people in PG say they felt it.

I swear I HEARD the earthquake in Langley. I heard something that sounded like cracking while my light over my head shook. Never felt anything and figured a heavier than normal train went by on the local tracks.

Found out an hour later from my wife that there actually was an earthquake.

Oh, so it's Haida Gwaii when everything's peachy, but "Queen Charlottes" when something bad happens? Nice.

Just re-typing what I read in a tweet lol

But if it makes you feel any better: A magnitude 7.7 earthquake just hit Haida Gwaii

5.8 aftershock being reported as well

Hope all our CDCers and everyone else in the affected areas are safe