The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

I was able to get a flight out of Japan Tuesday evening, and I am now safe. I am very concerned for my friends and all people in Japan.

I think that japanese TV is doing a very good job of keeping people informed. My problem was that my Japanese is not good enough to understand

the much (they have news in English, but not in my specific situation). The situation is very tense, but people appeared to be calm. The situation is

confusing for everyone, especially regarding transportation,power cuts, and supplies. After I was able to get a flight, I didn't know if I could get to the airport.

Very glad to hear that you are safe and that you were able to make it out. Its definitely confusing times, for sure. Hoping for things to settle down, SOON!

Latest Updates out of Fukushima.

No. 9

Status of Fukushima #1 power station as of 11:40, March 16, 2011

The chief cabinet secretary reported the status of Fukushima #1 power station at

the news briefing 11:15 as follows.

Report from the chief cabinet secretary (Summary)

<Unit-3>

White fume has been observed from unit-3.

Radiation monitored at the border of the site is increasing. It reaches an order

of mille Sv/hr around 10:00, today.

It is possible that radioactively contaminated steam is released from the

containment vessel. Now, investigating cause is going on.

<Unit-4, Unit-5 and Unit-6>

Water injection operation is being prepared.

Water temperature in the spent fuel pool is increasing also at unit-5 and unit-6.

We would like to deal with the issue in a proactive manner.

End

Anderson Cooper just reported that the 50 workers have suspended operations. He can't confirm if that's old news and the original 50 that evacuated, or if it's the 50 that returned and have again evacuated.

Cooper just said that a press conference has confirmed that it's too dangerous for workers to remain in the plant. Not good.

What press conference?

CNN, LA Times, etc.. many US news sources are just trying to scare people. They don't give a crap about people who are directly effected or people who are connected to those who are effected, etc... They just don't care about accuracy or responsibility. They just report news for the sake of shock value.

If I were a Japanese Government official or Japanese media liaison, the LAST people I would give sensitive information to is the Americans.

read this for a better understanding of what's actually meant by 'radiation' since the media's just throwing it around like a new buzzword

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2011/03/fukushima_crisis_radiation_exp.html

Still, the two main elements of concern from a radiation leak would be radioactive iodine and cesium, [the latter of] which has a half-life of 30 years, so it stays around for a little while.

By contrast, alpha and beta radiation cannot penetrate far beyond skin or clothing. These latter types are completely harmless if you're properly protected, but if you ingest or inhale some of the material, it has the potential to make you very ill. That is because once you have taken on alpha or beta radiation, there is no way to escape its effects. It's a bit like carrying an x-ray machine in your chest. Iodine-131 is particularly dangerous because it is readily absorbed by the thyroid and can cause cancer. (It's worth noting that caesium-137, though a gamma emitter, can also be absorbed by the body).
Edited by Terran

What press conference?

CNN, LA Times, etc.. many US news sources are just trying to scare people. They don't give a crap about people who are directly effected or people who are connected to those who are effected, etc... They just don't care about accuracy or responsibility. They just report news for the sake of shock value.

If I were a Japanese Government official or Japanese media liaison, the LAST people I would give sensitive information to is the Americans.

I don't know which one, just reporting what I am watching on TV. Which reminds me, wherever Anderson is right now is snowing.

Why isn't the international committee, IAEA or something like that, getting involved in efforts to control the damage? I think the government needs to bring in some extra help.

The time for that was 5 days ago, but instead they opted to save face.

There's not a lot that can be done at this point.

There's one video they keep showing of a Tsunami making it's way in and people at the bottom of a hill. The water comes right up to them and they don't seem to make much of an effort to get away. Scary stuff.

where? i've watched so many videos but i don't think i've seen that one yet (unless you're talking about the one where people are at the bottom left corner of the video)?

where? i've watched so many videos but i don't think i've seen that one yet (unless you're talking about the one where people are at the bottom left corner of the video)?

Yeah, that one. People are quite far from the filmer and at one point an SLR gets in the way. Same one ?

There's one video they keep showing of a Tsunami making it's way in and people at the bottom of a hill. The water comes right up to them and they don't seem to make much of an effort to get away. Scary stuff.

oh is it on YouTube? damn man...