The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

10 hours ago, Qwags said:

This might be me being morbidly curious, but what is being in an earthquake like?

Granted the one we had the other night was very mild, I still felt it and it was very unsettling. Because you have no control over what is happening, and surprisingly, I found myself being more afraid of the possible aftershocks than of the actual quake

Northeast India hit by 6.7-magnitude earthquake:

GAUHATI, India -- A 6.7 magnitude earthquake hit India's remote northeast region before dawn on Monday, killing at least four people, injuring 100 others and causing damage to several buildings.

The death and injuries were caused by falling debris in and around Imphal, the capital of Manipur state, police said.

The powerful tremor left large cracks in walls and a portion of a popular market building collapsed in the state capital.

A newly constructed six-story building also collapsed in Imphal, the police control room said.

India's Meteorological Department said the epicenter of the quake was in Tamenglong region of Manipur state. It struck before dawn on Monday at a depth of 17 kilometres (about 10 miles) in the India-Myanmar border region.

The epicenter of the earthquake was 35 kilometres (20 miles) northwest of Imphal.

People panicked and rushed out of their homes in Gauhati, the capital of neighbouring Assam state, as they felt massive shaking at least twice within 60 seconds.

In Imphal, residents said furniture was knocked over and books fell off shelves.

"The ground swayed for almost a minute, jolting people awake in their homes," said one resident, Apem Arthur.

The area is dotted with small houses. There are few tall buildings in the region, she said.

The tremors were also felt in Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal state.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/northeast-india-hit-by-6-7-magnitude-earthquake-1.2722033

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-

On 2016-01-02 at 0:01 AM, Qwags said:

This might be me being morbidly curious, but what is being in an earthquake like?

I've been in 2 that I've been able to feel.  First one was years ago in Langley.  Didn't feel like much just knew something had happened.  The one the other night felt like the floor shifted below me sideways.  Only felt it once though. 

On January 2, 2016 at 0:01 AM, Qwags said:

We felt the big Alaska shaker down here in '64.  I thought a truck ran through the house, and then turned around and ran through again.  It went on like this for some time too.  We did own a trucking company, and my dad was a horrible driver, but I was always told it was a quake.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

There are reports of 40,000 ppb(parts per bill) carbon monoxide from the Canadian west coast, right down to California. This amt is unprecedented, & apparently quite dangerous. Satellite data is provided by Nullschool-site.

Some scientists are suggesting it's evidence of major tectonic/earth crust activity. I'd like to suggest to all you guys to be careful next few days, & keep a kit organized, in case.

Please go to RobertScribbler.com for info

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thanks JYD. Pretty severe pic, huh? Have you heard anything in local media?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/newest-earthquake-technology-could-have-forewarned-2001-nisqually-shaker-1.3467001

Nothing really regarding this.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

On 12/31/2015 at 8:11 AM, Electro Rock said:

I've got 4 month's supply of food, a gravity water filter, a manual laundry, a portable pump shower, a portable solar array, etc etc.

If disaster strikes I'll hopefully be able to spend most of my time busily "recieving donations" from crooked local businesses instead of flailing around awaiting outside help.

Do you have the weapons to protect all of that?  

5 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

theres lots of stuff going on in this area regarding weather, ocean conditions, odd gas levels , Ocean PH levels, mass die offs in the pacific.   The Kelp from Alaska to Mexico has basically disappeared in 2 years.   the star fish along the pacific coast have been wiped out.    strange independent warm waters sitting idle just off our coast..    Unexplained mass mammal die offs from Kodiak island to the baja peninsula in the last year.   Shellfish in our strait dieing off in masses.    Great White Sharks observed in our inside waters all last summer

Bad stuff for sure.  

Fukushima radiation. As expected. 

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

That definitely can't be discounted as , soil, water , seaweed , fish were all tested for Cesium 137 which all showed up in alarming numbers.  Many past measurements of same tests were negative  Federal Government increased overall allowable amounts of radioactive iodides in canadas drinking water basically overnight last year with out even mentioning it publicly as well stop measuring radiation levels along the Pacific coast at or near that same time

I'd like to know if the un-muzzling of Canada's scientists will have new information begin to trickle out over the next little while. I think it's laughable that the response of our Government was to raise the allowable toxicity limits, but I have asked myself on numerous occasions what it is I would have expected them to do. I didn't get an answer. 

• 1 month later...

2 Canadians among 238 Ecuador earthquake victims:

Two Canadians from Quebec have died in a magnitude-7.8 earthquake that killed more than 200 in Ecuador, Global Affairs Canada confirmed on Sunday.

The department has not released any other information regarding the identity of the victims, but said it is offering its support to their families.

The quake, which struck Saturday night, was the strongest to hit Ecuador in nearly three decades. It was centred about 170 kilometres northwest of Quito, the capital.

A man walks amid the debris of buildings destroyed by an earthquake in Pedernales, Ecuador, Sunday, April 17, 2016. (AP / Dolores Ochoa)

Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion issued a statement on Sunday, extending his “deepest condolences to the families, friends and loved ones of the victims” on behalf of the Canadian government.

“I am saddened to learn of the tragic loss of life stemming from Saturday’s devastating earthquake near the central coast of Ecuador, which has already cost the lives of at least 235, including two Canadians,” the statement said.

Dion said officials at the Canadian Embassy in Quito are reaching out to Canadian citizens known to be in the country.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also responded to the crisis, taking to social media to offer his support.

“The scope of the devastation in Ecuador is shocking,” the prime minister tweeted. “My condolences to the families of those who lost their lives, including 2 Canadians.”

Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa said in a tweet that at least 233 people had died in the quake. Rescue workers are still trying to reach survivors trapped in the rubble. Officials earlier reported that 580 people had been injured.

Correa, who flew back from Rome to deal with the crisis, has declared a national emergency. Ecuador’s Vice-President Jorge Glas Glas said 10,000 armed forces and 4,600 national police have been deployed to help.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/two-quebecers-killed-in-ecuador-earthquake-global-affairs-canada-1.2862684

38 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

mother  nature be like respect me, Humans be like nah we going to frack $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

conclusion - don't screw around with mother nature, but we humans do.

The dinosaurs didn't mess with the old grand lady, yet they were wiped out?  Read "The Mote In God's Eye".  Our destruction is inevitable.  Just so long as our Favorite team wins a Cup before the end.  Hell, maybe the end will come during our Cup parade?  

• Upvote 1