The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's time to end the "Loudness War"

BurnabyJoe

I can guarantee just about every user on here has an iPod or an mp3 player. When you put it on shuffle have you ever noticed some songs being WAY louder than others and thus having to adjust the volume all the time to prevent your ears from bleeding?

This is what has now been dubbed the "Loudness War" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

This effects EVERY genre, what's the point in spending hundreds even thousands on good sound equipment if the source sucks?

I bring this up because as a person who loves music, and cares what it sounds like, I want to share this information with you.

Some of you may already know about this phenomenon, but a majority of the population doesn't, myself included up until a few months ago.

Watch this youtube video first:

I'm no audiophile myself, but this video explains the loss of DYNAMIC RANGE. The punch of the snare disappears, they louden up the quiet parts of the song to match the snare's loudness. If you we're to crank the beginning of the video real loud it would sound PERFECT but the end of the video does not.

Why do record companies do this? Similar to extremely loud commercials on TV, when you hear a song on the radio the louder one is supposed to catch your attention, but you are losing tremendous sound quality just because of this cheap marketing scam.

Big difference in punch and clarity eh?

When you look at the audio in a visual like that it looks so absurd, when you think audio you think of those peaks and valleys not a big wall of sound in this loud cuts.

Another great example is this video, comparing the dynamic Guitar Hero tracks (yes the video game) to the ACTUAL CD which is a pile of crap, and you can hear it:

<<<< BEST EXAMPLE

This effects mp3's, CD's, and even new Vinyl LP's. It effects all genres. The record companies think we all want loud garbage quality and don't care. There is nothing wrong with LOUD! the key is YOU have the volume nob, and turning up great quality music sounds amazing! Turning up this loudness crap just cripples your ears.

If you have any CD's or LP's before say 1991 you are generally clear of this. I have G'N'Rs Appetite for Destruction on CD and it is mastered very good. But many CD's I currently own are mastered horribly. Even bands like Metric, who aren't heavy and loud to begin with.

***Another good tip!! Don't assume "Digitally Remastered" means better! I have both copies of Nirvana's first album Bleach on CD. The one released in 1989 and the recent re-release from 2010. Yes believe it or not the 2010 release sounds WORSE!

We need to end this loudness war and GET WHAT WE PAY FOR. Even if you don't pay for music you have to be pissed off, what happened to listening to your favorite music in good quality?

http://www.dynamicrangeday.com/

The only time when I actually enjoy something being 'loudened' is with DVDs/TV/Movies.

I hate when I rent, buy, or download a movie, have to set my speakers to maximum volume in order to hear the quiet parts, and then face a thundering explosion of loud when the loud parts come in.

If I was going to watch on a home theater setup, it would be great to have the peaks and valleys all over the place, it does sound way better. However, if I'm on my laptop at 3am and want to watch a movie, it pisses me off to no end. My Lord of the Rings Extended DVD collection is the classic example. I literally cannot hear any of the whispering or talking, even with laptop set to max volume, yet the music and shouting and fighting is way too loud to be played in my apartment (my laptop speakers are actually fairly loud). Its like dynamics gone mad, and its really frustrating.

Most DVD players and computer movie players don't have a normalize function to fix this either (I can do it myself with Vdub and Audition, but its really time consuming).

Loudness is very useful for late night movie watching, particularly in an apartment. Its also good for music, people like to set their headphones, car stereos, etc. to a certain volume. With great dynamic range you can't set a particular volume, you are not in control of how loud your music is.

But the good, ol fashioned peak/valley does sound awesome. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is a great album, complete with a massively dynamic range that just oozes musical goodness from every orifice.

It's annoying to me in that there is no consistency between old and new music. A standard should've been set long ago.

However, i believe new music is louder partly because there is way more sound being generated, period. By computers. All those vocal effects and background loops didn't exist in the past.

Even the ridiculousness of sampling and looping Public Enemies "Fear of a Black Planet" is quiet by today's standards. And that's kinda sad, considering the effort that went into Fear as opposed to most albums today.

What you said makes sense, but it's interesting to note... the wiki article includes albums like Appetite for Destruction by Guns n Roses, Dirt by Alice in Chains, Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA, and Angel Dust by Faith No More - those are absolute CLASSICS!

It's annoying to me in that there is no consistency between old and new music. A standard should've been set long ago.

However, i believe new music is louder partly because there is way more sound being generated, period. By computers. All those vocal effects and background loops didn't exist in the past.

Even the ridiculousness of sampling and looping Public Enemies "Fear of a Black Planet" is quiet by today's standards. And that's kinda sad, considering the effort that went into Fear as opposed to most albums today.

Guest Voucer

I usually buy the remastered disc if my old copy was transferred from an analog source. I sometimes hear hissing when I turn the volume up. I do agree clipping is a bad thing, though. I used to normalize my audio to -95.0 dB, but now I set it to -92.0 dB. The audio on the actual discs, however, should be set to a lower volume to prevent clipping. There certainly should be some regulations in place.

My old Trooper album has this disclaimer on the back side.

allcdcoverstrooperhotsh.jpg

I am a audio engineer myself and I cannot help but shake my head every time I get a client who destroys their song by asking me to master it as loud as possible...great example of a horribe mastered Album is Eminem's latest one, great cd but man did they do a crap mastering job..too loud!

I am a audio engineer myself and I cannot help but shake my head every time I get a client who destroys their song by asking me to master it as loud as possible...great example of a horribe mastered Album is Eminem's latest one, great cd but man did they do a crap mastering job..too loud!

It's like night and day listening to a recording from recently and a recording from back in the day. I don't know about this loudness was but you don't have to be a genius to recognize that sound quality's been going downhill. I mean, I love loud music but that's to be achieved by better equipment on the part of we the listeners, not on the recording end where it's got to be about quality.

How did I not know there was another Audio Engineer on these forums?!

If we get a few more we can start our own sub-forum with topics like:

Pre-Amps - Who makes the best?

and

Digital Consoles - No longer a total pain in the butt

Archived