The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In light of the Manny Malhotra injury should eye protection be mandatory in the NHL?

Babych65

Should eye protection be mandatory in the NHL?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are not a lot of eye injuries in the NHL but in light of Manny Malhotras injury I believe that eye protection should be mandatory. The Sedins are very productive while wearing visors and if it was mandated there would be a level playing field. I own a business and on construction sites safety equipment must be worn, including steel toed boots, hard hats and eye protection. I do not believe the employees of a business should get to decide in matters that concern safety, what do you think?

Guest AriGold

Yes it should be a rule instituted going forward. All entry level contract players must wear them and within 15 years all players should be wearing them.

Its tough to force the Vets to wear something they havent ever worn.

Start in 2012, and going forward all skaters have to wear visors. Players drafted before hand have the option to wear them, or not. Just like helmets back in the day.

Of course if players were taught still to keep their sticks below their waist maybe less incidents would happen?

the visor debate is much like the debate about seatbelts in the car

i've never understood why cops have to do seatbelt checks to ensure that people are buckling up. it's for our own good to wear a seatbelt so why do we need other people to force us to do it?

it's the same thing with visors. they shouldn't have to be made mandatory. the players should just have the sense to put one on!

I, personally, think that they shouldn't be mandatory. I know everyone's making these threads in spite of Manny's injury, but I just don't think the NHL should force players to wear them. It's a safety issue, yes, but I think the players should choose whether or not they get to wear visors. Many players would not be happy if the NHL set in this mandatory rule.

Yes.

And it's not the vision issue either because as far as I know the effects of the visor on your game are minimal to non-existent. I seems like all that's required is a "getting used to" period.

IDGAS about what Cherry thinks about visors and your relative weakness/strength.

Yes.

And it's not the vision issue either because as far as I know the effects of the visor on your game are minimal to non-existent. I seems like all that's required is a "getting used to" period.

IDGAS about what Cherry thinks about visors and your relative weakness/strength.

the visor debate is much like the debate about seatbelts in the car

i've never understood why cops have to do seatbelt checks to ensure that people are buckling up. it's for our own good to wear a seatbelt so why do we need other people to force us to do it?

it's the same thing with visors. they shouldn't have to be made mandatory. the players should just have the sense to put one on!

I don't see the issue with wearing visors. It's maybe a bit of an inconvnience when they fog and get spray on them but losing an eye/vision is much worse. I wear a visor and don't have an issue with them.

remember that guy who died when his head hit the ice after a fight, then everyone got in cahoots because they thought fighting was bad for the game? it's stupid to think that "issues" are only brought to light AFTER THE FACT. yeah, it sucks when we lose someone to a freak injury (every other day it seems), but visors have been a player's decision since helmets were made mandatory. they know the risk. this shouldn't be a thread.

Archived