The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Let's hope management goes out and spends some real money to get a legit scorer and some additional veteran leadership up front.

Seconded.  

The Caps have a good goalie.  They have a good defence.  They have an adequate midfield.  But they have to get a legitimate scorer (or two).  

If only the Whitecaps have some legit scorer.  Octavio.... so streaky and not a 100% effort player.  Still don't understand how he gets to start ahead of Earnshaw.

I don't think effort is the issue with Rivero. On the contrary, I think he works his tail off to try to cover too much area. He comes back really deep and tends to go wide maybe too much.

In terms of being streaky, of his 10 goals, I think he had 5 in his first 7 or 8 games, so technically, he scored the remaining 5 over the remaining 25 games or so.

And half his goals were on penalty kicks to boot so just not good enough.

If only the Whitecaps have some legit scorer.  Octavio.... so streaky and not a 100% effort player.  Still don't understand how he gets to start ahead of Earnshaw.

I don't think effort is the issue with Rivero. On the contrary, I think he works his tail off to try to cover too much area. He comes back really deep and tends to go wide maybe too much.

In terms of being streaky, of his 10 goals, I think he had 5 in his first 7 or 8 games, so technically, he scored the remaining 5 over the remaining 25 games or so.

Agree with MJDDawg. Octavio is a high effort player. He's also a very smart player. Finishing definitely needs to improve.

His hold up play is excellent but players around him need to play around that. Manneh played a bit smarter this year, but still dribbles straight into defenders most of the time and is definitely the worst passer in our starting 11. 

More than a striker, I'd like for the Caps to sign two influential midfielders who can hold possession and make plays. 

Agree with MJDDawg. Octavio is a high effort player. He's also a very smart player. Finishing definitely needs to improve.

His hold up play is excellent but players around him need to play around that. Manneh played a bit smarter this year, but still dribbles straight into defenders most of the time and is definitely the worst passer in our starting 11. 

More than a striker, I'd like for the Caps to sign two influential midfielders who can hold possession and make plays. 

More than players it's time to bring Carlo Ancelotti home!

Not saying he doesn't battle, but he seems to be trying equally as hard to draw a foul too.  Perhaps it's just the way he plays back at home, but I don't see Earnshaw, Mattocks, Manneh just flopping when they're inside the penalty area.  Although, Octavio really did have a legit beef yesterday. 

At times, he just doesn't chase the ball when it's nearing the edge.  I get that you don't want to spend effort wastefully, but if he just tried to slip to pass/retain the ball, it would be a 50/50 scoring chance.  I'm not saying the Caps should get rid of him, but man... he's just so frustrating to watch.

Great season Caps! You have made soccer much more relevant in this market. I watched every game I could and found myself enjoying this team despite all of the gripes listed above. This team is headed in the right direction and just needs another piece or two to take them over the top.

I hate beating a dead horse but it sure would have been great to have Camilo this season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2015-11-09, 5:34:48, RonMexico said:

Great season Caps! You have made soccer much more relevant in this market. I watched every game I could and found myself enjoying this team despite all of the gripes listed above. This team is headed in the right direction and just needs another piece or two to take them over the top.

I hate beating a dead horse but it sure would have been great to have Camilo this season.

Wasn't Camilo's new team having financial trouble a while back?  The Whitecaps should lowball them for the transfer fee, lol.  A "take it or leave it" type situation. 

As much as people hate Camilo for what he did... should he come back and win another Golden Boot (a Morales and Camilo combo would be magic) and help the Whitecaps to reach the championship round, watch out Lenarduzzi for being the most popular soccer guy in town. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

FYI.... the Portland Timber are MLS champions

Worst final ever?

I mean 30seconds into the game then an awful goal happens. 2nd goal for portland was clearly out of play and sideman wasn't even looking. Play goes on, the cross goes in and bingo 2-0. 

Can't say I remember a team winning on such awful goals.

Anyway Congrats to Portland Timbers from going missing the playoffs to winning it all! Awesome team, awesome fans, awesome bearded dude, and isn't this their 40th year or something special? What a year for the mls!

Toronto FC has acquired right back Steven Beitashour from the Vancouver Whitecaps for a draft pick, according to TSN soccer analyst Kristian Jack.

The deal is expected to be announced officially on Friday.   

"Beitashour fills an area of need as the club struggled throughout the 2015 season to find a suitable and reliable right back," said Jack.

The 28-year-old has two goals and 24 assists over 141 career MLS games with the Whitecaps and San Jose Earthquakes. 

http://www.tsn.ca/tfc-acquires-d-beitashour-from-whitecaps-1.407416

wow