The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

Pretty screwy if you ask me...we spend time and money bringing up these kids in the residency program...if they turn out good they are scooped up by the big teams for the big bucks...makes no sense...it means we keep theaverage players brought up through the system   anything more is gone...thats why this league will always be second rate.

Yup.  That's why the big Euro leagues are so popular; they have the best players.  Those big clubs know they need to grab these boys as young as possible, so they can develop them in their system, against top players.  It's not a good system, but money talks. Didn't Christiano Rinaldo play for ManU at 17? 

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Pretty screwy if you ask me...we spend time and money bringing up these kids in the residency program...if they turn out good they are scooped up by the big teams for the big bucks...makes no sense...it means we keep theaverage players brought up through the system   anything more is gone...thats why this league will always be second rate.

Thing is, there's no way the MLS can compete with the major European leagues dollar-wise.  At least, not yet.  The best they can do is to develop some good young talent, make a bunch of money when the young talent is transferred to Europe, and then spend that money on better players for the home squad.  Thereby improving the team and improving the league.  Hopefully, that increases attendance and viewership and the league improves financially, allowing it to sign even better players.  

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

Thing is, there's no way the MLS can compete with the major European leagues dollar-wise.  At least, not yet.  The best they can do is to develop some good young talent, make a bunch of money when the young talent is transferred to Europe, and then spend that money on better players for the home squad.  Thereby improving the team and improving the league.  Hopefully, that increases attendance and viewership and the league improves financially, allowing it to sign even better players.  

Whitecaps dont do that though.

2 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Whitecaps dont do that though.

Right now the Caps have the tenth highest payroll in a 21 team league:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/2016/05/19/mls-player-salaries-2016-released-major-league-soccer-players-union/27671/

So they're mid-pack.  

If Davies is transferred for big bucks to a European team, let's see what the Caps do with the money.

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rapids/2016/05/19/mls-player-salaries-2016-released-major-league-soccer-players-union/27671/

So they're mid-pack.  

If Davies is transferred for big bucks to a European team, let's see what the Caps do with the money.

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

So they're mid-pack.  

dont they have money they didnt use from a previous transfer...cant think of the player.

3 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

dont they have money they didnt use from a previous transfer...cant think of the player.

Offhand, I can't recall such a transfer.  

But if Davies is transferred and if it involves a lot of money going to the Caps (both big "ifs") then, yes, I think Caps fans have a right to expect higher spending next season.

48 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Offhand, I can't recall such a transfer.  

But if Davies is transferred and if it involves a lot of money going to the Caps (both big "ifs") then, yes, I think Caps fans have a right to expect higher spending next season.

I think it was Rivero..he was sold to Colo Colo and never replaced by a DP.....he was the second highest salry on the team.

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

I think it was Rivero..he was sold to Colo Colo and never replaced by a DP.....he was the second highest salry on the team.

Sure.  But they also had to pay a transfer fee to O'Higgins (!) of the Chilean league when they signed him back in 2015.  I'm not sure what the respective numbers were but it's possible that the two fees cancelled out each other.

That they didn't sign another DP after losing Rivero doesn't bother me that much.  They should take their time trying to find a scorer who might actually be able to score.

But if they do make a chunk of money off Davies, it should make an already interesting off-season even more interesting.

• Upvote 1

Just remember, Manneh was supposedly highly scouted a couple of years back.  Nothing came out from that.

Most likely if some EPL team wants to pursue Davies, they're not gonna be offering enough money to make it worthwhile.  Unless they're gonna go all out and really gave the Whitecaps a couple of million for some teenager... it'll be better for Vancouver to market Alphonso as a homegrown, next up-and-coming star. 

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just remember, Manneh was supposedly highly scouted a couple of years back.  Nothing came out from that.

Most likely if some EPL team wants to pursue Davies, they're not gonna be offering enough money to make it worthwhile.  Unless they're gonna go all out and really gave the Whitecaps a couple of million for some teenager... it'll be better for Vancouver to market Alphonso as a homegrown, next up-and-coming star. 

I'm not sure it would actually be better for the Caps to keep Davies. Let's just say for example that Liverpool offered $5M for Davies that is a 1/4 of the Caps revenue from the past year. Obviously it would be nice to keep our up and coming talents but the MLS isn't the PL/La Liga/Bundesliga they can't offer the same type of money and exposure. 

Edit: this is all moot because Davies can't be transferred to Europe until he's 18.

Edited by CaptainCanuck001

9 hours ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Lol nobody is offering millions because a 15 year old made 2 MLS appearances

On the contrary, but the big boy teams in Europe are willing to pay big bucks to get young phenom's into their academies as early and as young as possible so they can begin to groom and integrate them into the club. United don't have a scout here to specifically watch him if they don't think he could be a special player. They want the best of the best in their academies. Davies is more valuable to them now at 15 because of it and I wouldn't be surprised at a seven figure transfer fee.

Celtic has a 13-year old who made his debut on their U-20 side recently. Check out his moves from youtube:

Edited by MJDDawg

• 2 weeks later...
  • "Tempers flared at Whitecaps practice Wednesday morning as captain Pedro Morales and goalkeeper David Ousted exchanged shoves and words during training at the University of B.C."

• "Morales, who’d been on Ousted’s team during the scrimmage in question, didn’t speak after practice. Coach Carl Robinson claimed he hadn’t seen the kerfuffle, which apparently began when Ousted questioned Morales’s interest level while he was down on the ground after a tackle."

• @aftncanada claims that when Morales and Ousted got in each other’s face, Ousted said: “If you want to fight, how about fighting on a *bleeping* Saturday.”

This last one is just gold. Can't get rid of him fast enough. Yet for some reason Robbo favored him over others who were clearly playing better at the time.

• Upvote 2

On 10/5/2016 at 9:45 AM, MJDDawg said:

On the contrary, but the big boy teams in Europe are willing to pay big bucks to get young phenom's into their academies as early and as young as possible so they can begin to groom and integrate them into the club. United don't have a scout here to specifically watch him if they don't think he could be a special player. They want the best of the best in their academies. Davies is more valuable to them now at 15 because of it and I wouldn't be surprised at a seven figure transfer fee.

Celtic has a 13-year old who made his debut on their U-20 side recently. Check out his moves from youtube:

Haha Celtic?  Wasted talent.  Next Freddy Adu for sure

19 hours ago, MJDDawg said:
  • "Tempers flared at Whitecaps practice Wednesday morning as captain Pedro Morales and goalkeeper David Ousted exchanged shoves and words during training at the University of B.C."

• "Morales, who’d been on Ousted’s team during the scrimmage in question, didn’t speak after practice. Coach Carl Robinson claimed he hadn’t seen the kerfuffle, which apparently began when Ousted questioned Morales’s interest level while he was down on the ground after a tackle."

• @aftncanada claims that when Morales and Ousted got in each other’s face, Ousted said: “If you want to fight, how about fighting on a *bleeping* Saturday.”

This last one is just gold. Can't get rid of him fast enough. Yet for some reason Robbo favored him over others who were clearly playing better at the time.

I guess David Ousted is the real leader of the team.  

He's pretty much the Roberto Luongo of the Whitecaps, lol.  Emotional guy (always trying to pump up the fans for support), one of the best goalkeeper in the league, can outright steal games for you... but his abilities masks major deficiencies on the team.