The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

5 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

clutch win for sure. Bolanos and Techera were solid and delivered nice balls in for Montero to volley and head home respectively. almost let it get away from them late after the Sounders scored a consolation goal but good defending sealed the 3 points which was crucial for the Cascadia Cup standings which is good to have an edge on early since it could be the difference in winning it at the end of the year. Montero was masterful today for sure. his positioning was brilliant and his finishing was spot on as well. Waston impressed me also clearing a couple balls in from the Sounders that helped us win the match. great to see us get going as hopefully it should spark a hot stretch for the Caps. Go Caps!

Let's hope.  The Caps go on the road for four straight games - Portland, Montreal, Colorado & Houston.  12 potential points.  They have to come back with at least 5 or 6 points to stay in the mix of things.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, canucks3322 said:

Do you think it would be better for Davies to play a year or two here and be cap tied to Canada, and then have him go to England to further his development?

I'd send him out on loan to a English giants like United, City, Arsenal, etc so he can develop and get a feel for what it's like playing in a top quality league like the Premier League. He would be a huge help for the Caps now but he could use the experience to become an even better player

25 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

A good win on the road.

I like this more offensive approach the Caps have been using.  With a bit more finish this game could have been over in the first half.

Good game all around. Jacobson with a good volley off Bolanos' cleared free kick. Then Mezquida set Techera up for the winning goal. Ousted stole this game for us today. Good performance

A deserved win by the Whitecaps.

Granted, wins over bottom feeders Montreal and Colorado isn't something to get too excited over.  But back to back wins are still nice.

Colorado's stadium sure looked good.  But, man, there was hardly anyone there.  Sometimes I wonder about the financial viability of the league.

On to Houston.

On April 26, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Beary Sweet said:

I'd send him out on loan to a English giants like United, City, Arsenal, etc so he can develop and get a feel for what it's like playing in a top quality league like the Premier League. He would be a huge help for the Caps now but he could use the experience to become an even better player

Tbh United and Arsenal would be the only top club's that would benefit Davies development however I think if he went to Southampton he would develop into a top player. Also saw online that United and Liverpool were monitoring Davies, so there is a chance that they might come for him.

Sad news for the 'Caps family:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/teen-killed-in-cloverdale-crash-identified-as-a-former-whitecaps-youth-player/ar-BBAP0uC?li=AAggFp5

A teen who was killed in a multi-car crash earlier this week in Cloverdale has been identified as a promising Whitecaps FC residency player.

On Wednesday evening, Surrey RCMP responded to 64th Avenue, just west of Highway 15, for a report of a collision. Early indications were that a black Cadillac had been involved in an accident on 64th Avenue and 168th Street, before allegedly fleeing the scene eastbound on 64th.

The Cadillac then struck the rear of a grey Honda Prelude, trapping the driver and the passenger. Both occupants of the Prelude were taken to hospital, with the driver in critical condition and the passenger in serious condition.

The driver of the Cadillac, a 22-year-old Surrey woman, was found at the site of the second crash and arrested. Police then announced Friday that the 17-year-old driver of the Prelude had succumbed to his injuries.

Travis Selje, 17, has since been identified as the driver of the Prelude. The teen was a star athlete and had been playing for the Caps’ youth programs since 2012.

Late Friday and early Saturday friends had left a makeshift memorial of flowers for the teen at the intersection where the fatal crash occurred.

According to his bio on the Whitecaps’ website, Selje was a “versatile player” and had captained the Caps’ pre-residency squad in 2012-13, and joined the Under-16 residency squad in 2015-16.

The defender/midfielder was in grade 11 at Lord Tweedsmuir Secondary School, and had been in three league championship teams with Surrey United SC in 2009, ’11 and ’12. He had returned to playing with the Surrey club this season.

Police and collision investigators continue to probe the accident. Anyone with information about the incident who hasn’t already been in touch with police are asked to contact Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502.

Heartbreaking re: Selje ^^^

But to hopefully segue into something more positive, VWFC may get a transfer done before the window closes today:

Early goods on Ibini-Isei (based on what I've read) is he's a RW (LW/CF) with pace similar to what we lost in Manneh but in a package about 5 inches taller than Scooter.

Considered a "supersub" in Australia's A-league (lower level to MLS) and has come off the bench as a relief striker.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

On 2017-05-07 at 8:22 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

The Southsiders will be leading a tribute with applause at the 35th minute during the May 20th match vs. SKC.

http://vancouversouthsiders.ca/forum/discussion/5838/rip-travis-selje-35th-minute-tribute#Item_9

Selje wore #35.

More confirmation of the Bernie Ibini-Isei transfer (pending a physical) from the Australian press (Daily Telegraph): http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/sydney/bernie-ibini-sydney-fc-fan-favourite-headed-to-major-league-soccer-club-vancouver-white-caps/news-story/3b3c7c19f4f5c62bddf21b2edefe3f05

Bernie Ibini: Sydney FC fan favourite headed to Major League Soccer club Vancouver White Caps

TOM SMITHIES, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only

WINGER Bernie Ibini has brought his second spell with Sydney FC to a close, and is poised to sign a deal with MLS side Vancouver Whitecaps.

Ibini, who has been on loan at Sydney for the past season from Club Brugge, will join the Canadian team pending the passing of a medical and the lodging of the relevant paperwork before the MLS’s transfer window closes late on Tuesday (AEST).

ca51d79677f29ae0741b815f58dd5eb2?width=650 Bernie Ibini has been a favourite with Sydney FC fans. Picture: Getty Images

However it remains to be seen when the medical will happen, as it’s believed the hamstring injury that kept him out of the Grand Final victory on Sunday is worse than believed and may require another two months of rest.

Sydney had nursed him back to fitness after he suffered an horrific training ground injury immediately upon joining Brugge from the Sky Blues in 2015, breaking his leg and rupturing ligaments.

f5a52109a6b109540a840e2b8b9025a8?width=650 Sydney FC's Bernie Ibini tore his hamstring in the semi-final against Perth Glory. Picture: AAP

He has been used almost exclusively off the bench this season, but is said to be keen to complete the move to Vancouver.

Sydney have agreed to release him immediately, with Brugge due to receive a transfer fee from the MLS side.

On Tuesday Sydney coach Graham Arnold said he anticipated only two or three changes to the squad that won the title on a penalty shootout from Melbourne Victory on Sunday night.

Originally published as Sydney FC fan favourite Ibini off to MLS

And again, confirmation now locally from the Province newspaper: 

https://www.google.ca/amp/theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/report-whitecaps-add-strike-bernie-ibini/amp

EDIT: per reports, it sounds like the hamstring injury may be worse than expected and keep Ibini out for up to two months. However, this looks like a long term addition and, once healthy, should provide VWFC with a good young player who brings plenty of pace and skill, some versatility of positioning, and a set of natural gifts that could very well make him a very nice addition to the squad, assuming medical and paperwork issues are resolved and the transfer goes through. 

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Official: https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/05/09/whitecaps-fc-acquire-wingerforward-bernie-ibini-belgian-club-brugge-kv

Ibini has agreed to a contract with VWFC through 2018 and with a 2019 option.

I like the move personally. Young kid with nice upside, has some good speed and pace, and is very versatile being able to play multiple forward positions in center forward and winger. Looking forward to how he fits in the team

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

I like the move personally. Young kid with nice upside, has some good speed and pace, and is very versatile being able to play multiple forward positions in center forward and winger. Looking forward to how he fits in the team

Agreed. Should be a nice addition. He's very highly rated and still young. Has had some terrible luck with injuries (which should make him fit in really well with VWFC ;)) but still has a ton of potential.

His highlight reels suggest he could be a real asset to the team once he's healthy.

EDIT: also good to see Robbo make use of the injury relief money before the window closed

Problem is he's coming off a fractured fibula in 2015/2016 where he missed a full season and now we hear he might need surgery for a shredded hammy.

Hope it works out, but we all saw what a couple of serious injuries ended up doing to Manneh as he's never been the same since.