The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Since the Jays are getting their lunch mney taken away by the Astros, it's nice to have some football to watch.

Canada up 3-nil against French Guiana, with Davies getting his first goal in a Canadian kit. Ballsy play by the kid....going 5-hole on a breakaway....:towel:

That could have been disastrous - almost blowing a 3-0 lead.

But they recovered.

So it's probably going to be a loss against #26 Costa Rica on Tuesday and then a showdown for second place on Friday against #72 Honduras.

Alphonso scores again.... making it 3 goals in 2 games for Canada. 

This kid is electric.  He's not only becoming a star for the Whitecaps, but would potentially an all-star in the MLS and maybe an impact player in Europe. 

So excited for the young guns on the Whitecaps.  Davies, Ibini, Reyna.... then the less flashy young guys like Parker and Nerwinski. 

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Alphonso scores again.... making it 3 goals in 2 games for Canada. 

This kid is electric.  He's not only becoming a star for the Whitecaps, but would potentially an all-star in the MLS and maybe an impact player in Europe. 

So excited for the young guns on the Whitecaps.  Davies, Ibini, Reyna.... then the less flashy young guys like Parker and Nerwinski. 

At least we can enjoy watching him live for a couple more years. 

I'd be very surprised if he's not with one of the big clubs in the BPL once he's 18.

Just now, MJDDawg said:

At least we can enjoy watching him live for a couple more years. 

I'd be very surprised if he's not with one of the big clubs in the BPL once he's 18.

Definitely.  Now I can kind of understand the feeling of European hockey teams and those in the AHL..... their best players will eventually move on. 

The bright side is that if the Whitecaps develop Davies correctly, he'll be fetching a huge cheque for the Whitecaps, who could potentially use that money to get some (relatively) declining and aging star from Europe. 

A draw with Costa Rica is a pretty good result. (Even if they had a lead that they couldn't hold) In the "Glass half full" department, Canada was on the back foot as soon as Davies left the match and I for one was more than happy with the team being able to preserve the draw.

I'll settle for another against the Hondurans...

BTW: Did anyone hear the result of French Guiana dressing an ineligible player against Honduras?

17 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Definitely.  Now I can kind of understand the feeling of European hockey teams and those in the AHL..... their best players will eventually move on. 

The bright side is that if the Whitecaps develop Davies correctly, he'll be fetching a huge cheque for the Whitecaps, who could potentially use that money to get some (relatively) declining and aging star from Europe. 

Christiano Ronaldo?  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Christiano Ronaldo?  

It would be super pricey to bring him over... but imagine all the revenue that can be generated.  

The entire stadium would be filled like every night... from like 17-22k seats up to 54500.  Assuming it's just like $30 per seat x 25 games per season (league, CONCACAF, etc) x (54500-20000 seats currently) = $25,875,000 per season or $1,035,000 per game.  Throw in concessions, playoff revenue, TV revenue, and especially merchandises.... suddenly Whitecaps jerseys would be flying out the door if they have Ronaldo written on the back.  

The Whitecaps wants to go for the "bang-for-your-buck" economy price options... but they really need to have the "you need money to make money" philosophy instead.  

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A draw with Costa Rica is a pretty good result. (Even if they had a lead that they couldn't hold) In the "Glass half full" department, Canada was on the back foot as soon as Davies left the match and I for one was more than happy with the team being able to preserve the draw.

I'll settle for another against the Hondurans...

BTW: Did anyone hear the result of French Guiana dressing an ineligible player against Honduras?

I heard about that. This guy named Flourent Malouda who played for the French International team played for French Guiana yesterday. Got a 0-0 draw in their match vs Honduras but heard it can easily be a 3-0 loss for the team which is a forfeit if the decision goes against him. 

38 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

I heard about that. This guy named Flourent Malouda who played for the French International team played for French Guiana yesterday. Got a 0-0 draw in their match vs Honduras but heard it can easily be a 3-0 loss for the team which is a forfeit if the decision goes against him. 

This is the thing. If the draw stands, it certainly would be to Canada's benefit. However, if the decision goes against FG, it puts Canada in a position where they might need a win against the Hondurans.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is the thing. If the draw stands, it certainly would be to Canada's benefit. However, if the decision goes against FG, it puts Canada in a position where they might need a win against the Hondurans.

I think Canada gets in with a draw on Friday regardless of whether Honduras is awarded the 3-0 win or not.

As things stand now, Canada has 4 points and Honduras would have 3 if awarded the win.  So a draw would mean Canada would end up with 5 points and Honduras with 4 and Canada would be in the quarterfinals.

14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I think Canada gets in with a draw on Friday regardless of whether Honduras is awarded the 3-0 win or not.

As things stand now, Canada has 4 points and Honduras would have 3 if awarded the win.  So a draw would mean Canada would end up with 5 points and Honduras with 4 and Canada would be in the quarterfinals.

Good news. So Honduras lost to CR. Do you know what the score was?

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Anyone catch the game?  How was the game?  How did those Whitecaps player play?

Davies didn't come on until about 20 minutes left and didn't have much of an impression on the match. He had one chance to run with the ball and take on a defender, but made the mistake of trying to beat the guy to the inside. He got past, but there was help down the middle and he was dispossessed by a second defender.

OTOH, both Adegkube and DeJong both played very well. DeJong hit a very nice volley in the first half and was unlucky that it hit the woodwork. A foot or so to the right and I think it sneaks into the corner.

Canada had two balls cleared off the line by defenders and the Keeper had to make a nice reaction save in injury time, but based on the run of play, I'd say a draw was deserved. The Canadians might also be a bit fortunate that the tournament doesn't have goal line technology, as the first clearance was very close to being over the line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

a whitecap win on the road against l.a.

i know that team is diminished

but still a pretty good step forward for the caps

and any road win is a good result

and no interest on these boards

Yeah, it seems like there's not as much attention paid to the 'Caps as past years. However, giving people the benefit of the doubt, I wasn't aware that they were playing, I just stumbled across the matchwhile channel surfing.

I don't recall there being so many Wednesday night games in the past. Also, it's been a while since the win over NYFC, so I can understand how people would lose touch. The schedule has been all over the map lately.

Cascadia match-up against Portland on Sunday!:towel: