The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, it seems like there's not as much attention paid to the 'Caps as past years. However, giving people the benefit of the doubt, I wasn't aware that they were playing, I just stumbled across the matchwhile channel surfing.

I don't recall there being so many Wednesday night games in the past. Also, it's been a while since the win over NYFC, so I can understand how people would lose touch. The schedule has been all over the map lately.

Cascadia match-up against Portland on Sunday!:towel:

I think the MLS promotional department could use a shake-up. Or, the sports media at least. This league really has an identity problem, NO ONE knows who they are!

I wanted to rant about Salazar last night. I'll do it now. The ref put away the whistle in the last 15 minutes and turned a blind eye to 5 specific and obvious fouls and allowed LA to gain momentum and forced Vancouver to hang on in the end. Very reminiscent of NHL game management. Officiating in this league is suspect at best. 

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

I wanted to rant about Salazar last night. I'll do it now. The ref put away the whistle in the last 15 minutes and turned a blind eye to 5 specific and obvious fouls and allowed LA to gain momentum and forced Vancouver to hang on in the end. Very reminiscent of NHL game management. Officiating in this league is suspect at best. 

I've always wondered.... do refs in Europe get paid way more than in MLS?  

I mean the MLS already pay massive amount to over-the-hill players from Europe... why not do the same for refs?

A great way to legitimize the game more and helps train other refs.  

3 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

I have to agree with this. LA was throwing everyone forward and just resorting to putting the grab on the Caps every time they countered. Salazar finally showed a yellow, when it was so obvious that there was no way to ignore the play as he did on so many others.

The one that was really irritating was the long ball to Reyna just outside the 18 yard box. The defender just bundled him over....I can live with letting some clutching and grabbing go at midfield, but that play negated a chance at goal for the 'Caps and turned into a dangerous counter for the Galaxy.

About a minute into injury time and L.A. hauls down a Cap at center field, ball gets sent into Caps zone and I'm just waiting for LA to score, horrible non call.

If that is the kind of reffing that goes on all the time it is not surprising that fewer folk watch the msl than used to.

Canada's run in the Gold Cup is over.  

They have already met and exceed expectations... but it always sucks when Canada loses.  

Didn't really notice Davies as much.  Maybe the nagging ankle injury?

The centre-back seems overwhelmed most of the game.  Canada will need to have that upgraded.

21 minutes ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Portland looked bigger, tougher, more aggressive and faster tonight. Same old Caps. Box of chocolates. Soft chocolates. 

They were good but it was more of the fact they kept possession of the ball well and controlled most of play. What was most interesting was the antics late in the match by Portland. It ticked me off myself. Their players were pretending to be injured and it forced our Caps to knock the ball out of play. I understand why Robby was pissed and had his share of words with Timbers' coach Porter post match. The team is still playing well though and hopefully they get back on track next time around

17 hours ago, YummyCakeFace said:

Portland looked bigger, tougher, more aggressive and faster tonight. Same old Caps. Box of chocolates. Soft chocolates. 

The Whitecaps were playing like they're protecting the league for most the 2nd half... except they were down a goal.  

Parker played pretty decent, but it's obvious that the Waston runs the defense corp.  Maybe Parker can elevate his game, but he isn't there yet.  

Near the end of the end, the Caps kept setting up the ball for a header.... except they only have Techera... the shortest guy in MLS to try to head the ball in.  

Then there's the placement of Davies and Reyna.... both quick players, but are the inside midfielders?  Davies' strength is when he's running along the side and stretching the field, not trying to dribble past 5 guys in the middle.  

Montero has been decent... but it seems the effort isn't there 100% of the time.  There was that one play where he got knocked over inside the box and instead of just getting back on-side, as the Caps were still pressing and are creating chances... he just slowly walks back on-side.  I mean, if there was a goal, it would have been called back.  

Harvey has been a rock.... but he looked pretty weak last time.  Guys beating him 1 on 1, etc.  

On July 24, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Lancaster said:

The Whitecaps were playing like they're protecting the league for most the 2nd half... except they were down a goal.  

Parker played pretty decent, but it's obvious that the Waston runs the defense corp.  Maybe Parker can elevate his game, but he isn't there yet.  

Near the end of the end, the Caps kept setting up the ball for a header.... except they only have Techera... the shortest guy in MLS to try to head the ball in.  

Then there's the placement of Davies and Reyna.... both quick players, but are the inside midfielders?  Davies' strength is when he's running along the side and stretching the field, not trying to dribble past 5 guys in the middle.  

Montero has been decent... but it seems the effort isn't there 100% of the time.  There was that one play where he got knocked over inside the box and instead of just getting back on-side, as the Caps were still pressing and are creating chances... he just slowly walks back on-side.  I mean, if there was a goal, it would have been called back.  

Harvey has been a rock.... but he looked pretty weak last time.  Guys beating him 1 on 1, etc.  

I don't want to beat a dead horse but the way Robbo deploys his players drives me nuts.

At the end of the day, yes they possess the ball a bit more but the only way they ever seem to generate any chances is through corner kicks and set pieces. Otherwise this team is the same as its been for Robbo's tenure...easy to defend against. Doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to be a serious contender when the games start to tighten up down the stretch.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:02 PM, Beary Sweet said:

How about Davies though... wins Young Player of the Tourney and the Golden Boot in the Gold Cup tourney. We have a rising star on our hands. Hopefully Robbie starts giving him more minutes

For those who aren't following the Whitecaps.... there's a soccer star developing and arriving right before our eyes.  10 years from now we could be saying, "D'you know?  Davies used to play for the Whitecaps before he started playing for Real Madrid/ManU/Bayern/etc.  Yep... as a 15 year old, he was already driving the play on the field...."

Kinda like how people locally go on and on about how they saw Pavel when he first arrived.

On 7/27/2017 at 5:07 AM, MJDDawg said:

I don't want to beat a dead horse but the way Robbo deploys his players drives me nuts.

At the end of the day, yes they possess the ball a bit more but the only way they ever seem to generate any chances is through corner kicks and set pieces. Otherwise this team is the same as its been for Robbo's tenure...easy to defend against. Doesn't give me much confidence in their ability to be a serious contender when the games start to tighten up down the stretch.

It's surprising because I remember that set plays were pretty poor in previous years (except for Pedro).  

If I was coach, I'd put Davies on one wing and then put Reyna on the other.... then have the inside MF with Bolanos, Techera, Mequizda, Rosales, etc.  Techera is good on the outside as he's very quick and good as crosses, but he's also very good at passing the ball... thus passing the ball to guys like Reyna, Davies, Ibini to carry the play to the other end.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

So the Caps lose to an under-manned Portland side at home last week and then blow out the conference leaders in Dallas this week.

I'll leave it to others to figure this team out because I can't.

Trying to guess which version of the team will show up on a given night has become too difficult. Just sit back and enjoy the ride (and the bicycle kick nutmegs):

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2017 at 8:54 AM, MJDDawg said:

I've been a bit down on the team this season, but credit where credit is due.

It was a great road win, especially since it was 40 degrees. 

I guess Waston does make that big a difference. 

Well, Waston is one of the premiere defender in this league.  It's great that he now is the captain of the team..... refs are usually more lenient when penalizing those are wearing the arm band.  In past years, he's like getting a yellow every second or third game.  So far he's got only like 1 or 2 yellow cards (?) this season.  

One thing I noticed (maybe I'm just being very biased and a homer)..... it seems that when the Whitecaps loses.... it's what they're doing wrong rather than what the other team is doing right.  Usually the lack of effort/urgency, less than ideal player placement, wrong strategy, etc.