The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

When you have teams that have been around for a long, long time, you get some colour choices inspired by them in other teams. Hockey thankfully doesn't have quite so colourful a history, but many of the uniforms you see in soccer are a bit of an homage.

14 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

OK, trying to get into soccer (am, somewhat) and watched the Whitecaps game.  But who the hell dresses these guys, Barnum & Bailey?   Clearly, they need help.....

Speaking of MLS uniforms, how 'bout this for a uniform for all the female Philadelphia Union fans out there:

bimbo-union-philadelphia.gif

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

OK, trying to get into soccer (am, somewhat) and watched the Whitecaps game.  But who the hell dresses these guys, Barnum & Bailey?   Clearly, they need help.....

There's more originality in soccer unis compared to the typical red, blue, or black you see in hockey or almost any North American sport.

• 2 weeks later...

Solid game by the lads today. The 1st half impressed me the most. Reyna was fantastic today. He was great on both sides of the ball today. Created the penalty that got the team up and running with Montero burying his team leading 10th goal and followed moments later by the phenomenal strike from distance by Reyna himself. He is starting to become a key piece in the lineup. He got fouled quite a lot too with his speed being his most valuable quality and got him cramped up at the end. Nevertheless he was MOTM today. Absolutely sensational

• Upvote 1

Yep. Reyna was MOTM for sure.

I have to believe that Ousted is getting a bit frustrated at not being able to keep a clean sheet this season. I thought Nerwinski in particular, looked a bit lost on occasion. Techera was also uncharacteristically invisible, IMO.

Still a win is a win and starting off the home stand on a positive not was huge for the 'Caps.

I'm a bit nervous about moving forward without Laba, but it gives others a chance to step up. I'm really impressed in Tchani since he's arived in Vancity and Bolanos seems to be undergoing a bit of a renaissance. 

Still waiting Ibini to distinguish himself....

On 06/08/2017 at 2:20 PM, Lil B From The Pack said:

There's more originality in soccer unis compared to the typical red, blue, or black you see in hockey or almost any North American sport.

Hmmm, not sure I agree.  Some of the logos in NA sport are pretty original .... colours are there too, if you look at the NFL, most are covered.

Watched the Whitecaps this weekend...finding it more and more entertaining.  My ex played soccer and I remember his Father watching those annoyingly boring (in my view) Sunday morning games.  But I hadn't given it a chance then...I think I was missing something and it was the commentary that was lacking for me.  Not when there was a scoring chance, then it erupted.  The in between stuff, that put me to sleep.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hmmm, not sure I agree.  Some of the logos in NA sport are pretty original .... colours are there too, if you look at the NFL, most are covered.

Watched the Whitecaps this weekend...finding it more and more entertaining.  My ex played soccer and I remember his Father watching those annoyingly boring (in my view) Sunday morning games.  But I hadn't given it a chance then...I think I was missing something and it was the commentary that was lacking for me.  Not when there was a scoring chance, then it erupted.  The in between stuff, that put me to sleep.  

I have a Whitecaps jersey, and about 20 (or so) other soccer jerseys.  They are light, and really comfortable to wear about.  I agree, they soccer jersey has nothing on the NHL sweater for style, colour, and logos, but I do believe soccer jerseys are a lot better served as regular wear.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I thought the Caps looked flat until Tchani was sent off.  That almost seemed to spark them.

I think it was more that Davies and Ibini came on.  

Nothing against Techera or Jacobson, but both Davies and Ibini bring more size, speed and creativity.  

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I think it was more that Davies and Ibini came on.  

Nothing against Techera or Jacobson, but both Davies and Ibini bring more size, speed and creativity.  

It's two games in a row that Techera has been a bit invisible. Maybe it's time to give Bernie a start and see what he can do with a full match.

We're also starting to see how much Laba means to this team. It's the biggest loss to this team since Camillo left, IMHO.

I have to agree with Yummy: A man down against a tough opponent, I'll take the single point, even at home.

So I've been thinking about what my all time Whitecaps roster would be. (MSL) I went with a 1-4-3-3 config, but feel free to post your own.

Hassli - Camillo -  Miller

Chumiento - Laba - Koffie

Lee - Waston - Demerit - Rochat

Ousted

Was at the game last night... first one this season and wow it was exciting. Great bang for your buck and much better crowd than Canucks games. Love the soccer atmosphere... although I still love hockey much more.

Officiating was garbage. Incredible effort by the boys to come back with 10 men. 

I've got 2 feet on the bandwagon now! 

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's two games in a row that Techera has been a bit invisible. Maybe it's time to give Bernie a start and see what he can do with a full match.

We're also starting to see how much Laba means to this team. It's the biggest loss to this team since Camillo left, IMHO.

I have to agree with Yummy: A man down against a tough opponent, I'll take the single point, even at home.

I told my buddy that was with me at the game that Davies was subbing Techera and his response was, "No.... Techera isn't playing today...."  lol

Ibini does bring a different dynamic, since he's bigger and maybe quicker than most on the team..... would be nice to not have the shortest guys on the team as the net front presence for a change.  

I agree that Laba is invaluable.  He just chases down opponents, usually fouls them as well..... he's very good at halting the other team's offence.  Jacobsen, Tiebert and Tchani are good defensively... but I dunno... just doesn't feel the same. 

What a fight back by the team! great point and well deserved! great effort shown and I agree that the sending off of Tchani gave the team the boost they desperately needed but that was nice hustle, speed, skill by Davies and a lovely assist to set up Montero for the finish. awesome match to watch. the penalty given in the 1st half to the Sounders was not surprising. at first it looked like it wasn't but taking a 2nd look it was no brainer call. Laba is missed though. he's the midfield. he makes timeless and clutch tackles time and time again. hopefully the fill ins step it up and play well

• Upvote 1

It was announced today that the MLS final will be played on December 9th.

The Caps first regular season game was on March 5th.

I like MLS but, man, I wish they could shorten their season somehow.  A nine month season is a loooongg season.

And we should hope that if a northern city hosts the final it has a covered stadium otherwise we could be watching a farce like the Whitecaps/Real snow game last April.