The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I don't watch much of any soccer these days, and I was just reminded of why. When Rodriguez scored all I could think was that if Reyna hadn't have been laying down holding his face over nothing he would likely have steered the play another direction as it came back to him, or even force a turnover. I keep wanting to like the sport despite it consistently annoying me. 

Wow.:blink: That was complete domination by Sporting. Absolutely amazing that the 'Caps came out of that half even...

I was a bit worried when I saw the B-team taking the pitch, but I thought maybe someone would step up. So far, Marinovic is the only one who showed up to play.

6 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Hands up if you had the Whitecaps as the first Western Conference team to clinch a playoff spot, because I sure didn't.

That win was all Marinovic. Can't really complain with most of their reserves starting, though.

Absolutely stunned that they came away with three points. They were the second best team on the pitch tonight, but that was just because there were only two teams playing....

Hands up if you had the Whitecaps as the first Western Conference team to clinch a playoff spot, because I sure didn't.

That win was all Marinovic. Can't really complain with most of their reserves starting, though.

With the departure of Morales in the off-season, the slow start by Montero, the subtraction of Manneh.... I was just hoping the Caps could make into the playoffs in the very last week,  

17 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

Quite a season for the boys in white and blue. Hopefully, they ride the momentum into the playoffs and don't let up. This could be something special!

On a side note, this streak of great play seemed to start once Laba was shut down for the year..... maybe he wasn't working in our new team model?

ah no

reyna says hi

that is when he was game fit

and the play seemed to start being driven by him

7 hours ago, coastal.view said:

ah no

reyna says hi

that is when he was game fit

and the play seemed to start being driven by him

I respect that.... however I still think Laba's style is a bit too chaotic to be trusted in the center of midfield. Ghazal + Tchani are a much better pairing who work off each other than whoever was with Laba imo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly thrilled that they weren't able to close the deal against San Jose to clinch first. In any event, the scenarios for next week are pretty straightforward.

The Whitecaps will clinch 1st if:

Vancouver wins or draws at Portland

The Whitecaps will clinch 2nd if:

Vancouver loses at Portland and Seattle loses or draws vs. Colorado

The Whitecaps will clinch 3rd if:

Vancouver loses at Portland and Seattle wins vs. Colorado

• Upvote 1

Not exactly thrilled that they weren't able to close the deal against San Jose to clinch first. In any event, the scenarios for next week are pretty straightforward.

The Whitecaps will clinch 1st if:

Vancouver wins or draws at Portland

The Whitecaps will clinch 2nd if:

Vancouver loses at Portland and Seattle loses or draws vs. Colorado

The Whitecaps will clinch 3rd if:

Vancouver loses at Portland and Seattle wins vs. Colorado

Isn't Kansas in the mix?  If the Caps lose and Kansas beats Real then both the Caps and Kansas would have 52 points.  

Do you know what the tie-breaker is?

33 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Isn't Kansas in the mix?  If the Caps lose and Kansas beats Real then both the Caps and Kansas would have 52 points.  

Do you know what the tie-breaker is?

The first tiebreaker is wins. Vancouver has 15 while Kansas City has 12. SKC can't get to 53 points to pass the Whitecaps so they'll finish no worse than 3rd. Seattle sits at 13 wins so a draw would ensure the Caps don't finish behind them, either.

Here's the full tiebreaking procedure:

1. Total number of wins
  2. Goal Differential (GD)
  3. Goals For (GF)
  4. Fewest Disciplinary Points*
  5. Away Goals Differential
  6. Away Goal For
  7. Home Goals Differential
  8. Home Goal For
  9. Coin Toss (tie of 2 clubs) or Drawing of Lots (tie of 3 or more clubs)
Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 1

FFS!:angry: That needless header by Ghazal that led to a corner was the turning point. Disappointing loss after getting the early lead...

The only positive is the last two MLS champs played a knockout match and both were Cascadia teams. It's our turn!

• Upvote 1

I'll take the Sounders with Dempsey suspended for the first leg over the Timbers in the semifinal. The extra match against San Jose will be good to work on closing a game out. They should have blown the Quakes out of the building a week ago and now they'll have a second chance at it.