The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

25 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

well so easy for you to call the owners cheap cuz it's not your money

you realize freddy is being paid 1.8 million by the caps this year.. pretty significant money in my view

and freddy actually has a contract for significantly more i believe.. with his china club (5 million range. i could be wrong)

they are paying him as well, the difference between his contract and what the caps pay him, to not play for them this year

he is on loan to the caps cuz the china league changed its import rules and his team had too many imports

he is not worth 5 million in salary to the caps...

and that does not even include the transfer fee that would need to be paid to get him here so the caps can own his rights

so he'd eat up more than half the salary paid out this year by the team.. hardly a good investment

and the owners became rich by not being stupid and throwing money around cuz some fan thinks it is ok to call them cheap

So unless we get lucky, like that team in England did a couple years ago, it's no championship for us?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

So unless we get lucky, like that team in England did a couple years ago, it's no championship for us?

no idea alf

caps won a championship while in the nasl

without having the top line talent like pele as other teams had

you were around then .. i know that much

but i doubt the caps have the resources to basically buy talent in an indirect way to buy a championship

i certainly do not get why people think that is an acceptable model anyway

put everyone on the same financial footing

and see who has the best management/coaching team as well as the best on the field team

14 hours ago, coastal.view said:

no idea alf

caps won a championship while in the nasl

without having the top line talent like pele as other teams had

you were around then .. i know that much

but i doubt the caps have the resources to basically buy talent in an indirect way to buy a championship

i certainly do not get why people think that is an acceptable model anyway

put everyone on the same financial footing

and see who has the best management/coaching team as well as the best on the field team

I was certainly around when the Caps won.  I have a White Caps soccer ball signed by the team.  We had some exceptional talent on that ‘79 team, who cost money.  (I could list them all, but don’t want to dig out the ball) It seems in this modern soccer, unless a team gets very lucky, you need a superstar or two to score the key goals, or to create space and chances for others.  

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

I was certainly around when the Caps won.  I have a White Caps soccer ball signed by the team.  We had some exceptional talent on that ‘79 team, who cost money.  (I could list them all, but don’t want to dig out the ball) It seems in this modern soccer, unless a team gets very lucky, you need a superstar or two to score the key goals, or to create space and chances for others.  

the current caps have talented players who cost money

so i do not get your point

my point was that the nasl caps did not have the really high payrolls of the major usa teams .. like new york. . who had pele

and sure they had talent that were paid .. it was a winning team

the current caps will have to do the same .. .win without having a crazy payroll that has no business basis given the revenues of the team

Opinion piece from the MLS website:

"But the days of forking out eight-figure, multi-year deals for the most recognizable names in the game – players like David Beckham, Thierry Henry, David Villa, Pirlo and Kaká, with their trophy cases overstuffed with FIFA Player of the Year awards, Ballon d’Ors and World Cup and UEFA Champions League medals – are coming to a stark end."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/07/freedman-pirlo-and-kaka-bow-out-new-dp-era-mls-full-swing

On 11/12/2017 at 3:51 AM, UnkNuk said:

Opinion piece from the MLS website:

"But the days of forking out eight-figure, multi-year deals for the most recognizable names in the game – players like David Beckham, Thierry Henry, David Villa, Pirlo and Kaká, with their trophy cases overstuffed with FIFA Player of the Year awards, Ballon d’Ors and World Cup and UEFA Champions League medals – are coming to a stark end."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/07/freedman-pirlo-and-kaka-bow-out-new-dp-era-mls-full-swing

This is good news for the league. It can't be looked at like a retirement league for the over-the-hill golden era players. If it can get up to the level of the Eredivisie (Dutch league) where its a solid league on its own that is known for developing top players to feed to the best leagues in the world, it would be amazing. 

The 2017 MLS goal of the year can be seen here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/goal-of-the-year/2017?autoplay=true&utm_source=TWIMEmail&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=TwimHero&utm_campaign=11172017&

I notice that it was a fan vote.  Which makes me suspect that the Atlanta fans really stuffed the ballot box.  Because I think it's kind of a 'meh' goal.  Good, but not great as you would expect a goal of the year to be.

22 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The 2017 MLS goal of the year can be seen here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/goal-of-the-year/2017?autoplay=true&utm_source=TWIMEmail&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=TwimHero&utm_campaign=11172017&

I notice that it was a fan vote.  Which makes me suspect that the Atlanta fans really stuffed the ballot box.  Because I think it's kind of a 'meh' goal.  Good, but not great as you would expect a goal of the year to be.

It was a cracker for sure, but GOTY? Not in my book.

Nico's bicycle kick goal to bury FC Dallas was better, IMHO....

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It was a cracker for sure, but GOTY? Not in my book.

Nico's bicycle kick goal to bury FC Dallas was better, IMHO....

Fan voting is fine, but it leads to potentially scewed. Either way, a good goal but others were better in my opinion too. Maybe they should include a league-wide player vote for goal of the year too? I think it'd be interesting to see what the players deemed the best goal of the season vs the fans.....

• 2 weeks later...

The Caps have signed a new striker - Anthony Blondell:

"Thursday, the club announced they’d signed 23-year-old Venezuelan striker Anthony Blondell, paying a transfer fee of between $1.3M-1.5M to Monagas SC of the Venezuelan premier league."

http://vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/blondell-just-the-beginning-for-whitecaps/wcm/112143f7-1b31-4fdf-843e-ce647e79e6e8

A short video of goal highlights can be found here:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/11/30/wfc-acquire-striker-anthony-blondell

I like the 23 goals in 37 appearances.  And the 6'1" tall part.  Always nice to have some height up front. 

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

The Caps have signed a new striker - Anthony Blondell:

"Thursday, the club announced they’d signed 23-year-old Venezuelan striker Anthony Blondell, paying a transfer fee of between $1.3M-1.5M to Monagas SC of the Venezuelan premier league."

http://vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/blondell-just-the-beginning-for-whitecaps/wcm/112143f7-1b31-4fdf-843e-ce647e79e6e8

A short video of goal highlights can be found here:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/11/30/wfc-acquire-striker-anthony-blondell

I like the 23 goals in 37 appearances.  And the 6'1" tall part.  Always nice to have some height up front. 

does anyone know for sure ??

is freddy montrero not coming back cuz of his china club obligations?

11 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

does anyone know for sure ??

is freddy montrero not coming back cuz of his china club obligations?

Montero was only with the Whitecaps this year on a loan agreement. To keep him here next year, they would have to pay a transfer fee to effectively buy his contract. As of right now, the Caps haven't decided what they want to do yet.

The transfer fee is expected to be pretty expensive, which is why many people are speculating that he won't be back next season. His contract with Tianjin only runs one more year, though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Montero was only with the Whitecaps this year on a loan agreement. To keep him here next year, they would have to pay a transfer fee to effectively buy his contract. As of right now, the Caps haven't decided what they want to do yet.

The transfer fee is expected to be pretty expensive, which is why many people are speculating that he won't be back next season. His contract with Tianjin only runs one more year, though.

ok that was my sense of things

and i think his contract was mostly paid by his china club as well

i think he was paid close to 5 million and the caps only paid about 1.8 of it

so if he came back there is the salary issue and the transfer fee on top of it

kinda not affordable

Edited by coastal.view

mmmm this caps team has a lot of trouble with continuity

montero appears to be gone

reyna also is likely not coming back

arguably the 2 best players on the team gone

so now a new chemistry experiment must occur with new key players

so as fans this is gonna be a do over with fans gonna have to be just content