The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

???   Where is that coming from?

renya wants to play for peru in the world cup and needs to play in a higher league next year to do so

he also is dealing with criminal matters.. he was present with friends at a private house event where a 16 year old girl died/ was killed

you'll hear more about it in the next day or two

he is very unlikely to be returning to the caps next season

On 12/11/2017 at 6:14 AM, coastal.view said:

mmmm this caps team has a lot of trouble with continuity

montero appears to be gone

reyna also is likely not coming back

arguably the 2 best players on the team gone

so now a new chemistry experiment must occur with new key players

so as fans this is gonna be a do over with fans gonna have to be just content

that there is a local team and brand..

but i really think the team is trying the patience and loyalty of fans

I think you just hit the nail on the head with the Caps struggles the past few years in the playoffs: lack of team cohesion. It's tough to gel and go to battle with each other when the pinpoint of our attacking line keeps changing every year! Hopefully with Kamara here, that will change things and get us going. 

7 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

I think you just hit the nail on the head with the Caps struggles the past few years in the playoffs: lack of team cohesion. It's tough to gel and go to battle with each other when the pinpoint of our attacking line keeps changing every year! Hopefully with Kamara here, that will change things and get us going. 

the problem is that when those critical pieces are changed

even if you replace them with equal quality

there is no guarantee of chemistry and production from the new pieces

we have seen that before

and who do the fans identify with now as their key players? waston? harvey?

ousted is also gone now... i really did not understand that one either . it appears to be a lateral move in goal

but we lose a long time cap as a result

23 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

the problem is that when those critical pieces are changed

even if you replace them with equal quality

there is no guarantee of chemistry and production from the new pieces

we have seen that before

and who do the fans identify with now as their key players? waston? harvey?

ousted is also gone now... i really did not understand that one either . it appears to be a lateral move in goal

but we lose a long time cap as a result

Continuity has always been an issue.  Not saying the Caps should have hanger-ons, but it's good to have guys who are intertwined in the city and community long-term.  

Waston is perhaps the primary key player now and has been since he arrived, but he is already 29 and maybe have only a few more years good in him.

Chances are Parker will be one of the key pieces going forward, along with Davies and maybe Mezquida.  

I was very disappointed that Ousted got low-balled.  He was given a chance to stay on as the backup, but it would have required a massive pay cut.  He's a little older now, but he's still very reliable.  Should have at least let him play the playoff games as his last kick in the can or something.  

It's gonna be weird when cheering on the goalkeeper when he kicks the ball now.  "OOOOOHHHHH!!!!! MARINOVIC!!!!"

9 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

We need to spend more money, and bring in a top notch midfielder to drive the play, and a super goal scorer.  We used to have a great little goal scorer, but didn't pay him.  (I forgot his name:(

When we won back in the 70's we had Trevor Wymark and King Kevin Hector.  Heck we had Alan Ball too.  Sure our guys were old, and in their declining years, but they were still better than the NA guys.

Edited by Alflives

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

We need to spend more money, and bring in a top notch midfielder to drive the play, and a super goal scorer.  We used to have a great little goal scorer, but didn't pay him.  (I forgot his name:(

When we won back in the 70's we had Trevor Wymark and King Kevin Hector.  Heck we had Alan Ball too.  Sure our guys were old, and in their declining years, but they were still better than the NA guys.

No denying that you're right. I think it will take a change in ownership for that to happen though :(

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who knows?  Maybe we've got the super goal scorer in one of the new strikers - Blondell, Kamara and/or Bevan.

(A fan can hope, can't he?)

• Upvote 1

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/whitecaps-roll-out-welcome-mat-for-centre-back-doneil-henry

Harvey our, Henry in. I like this move, simply for the fact that we get younger and get another young Canadian on the team (yes he's normally a center back, but can also play fullback). Harvey was great for us, but the past few seasons he's been a bit of a liability defensively and isn't going forward nearly as much as he used to. 

Here continues another offseason of wholesale changes...

17 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

http://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/whitecaps-roll-out-welcome-mat-for-centre-back-doneil-henry

Harvey our, Henry in. I like this move, simply for the fact that we get younger and get another young Canadian on the team (yes he's normally a center back, but can also play fullback). Harvey was great for us, but the past few seasons he's been a bit of a liability defensively and isn't going forward nearly as much as he used to. 

Here continues another offseason of wholesale changes...

I think the writing was on the wall for Harvey. Towards the end of the season, he was losing playing time in favor of guys like Williams and DeJong.

It's sad, because he was the longest tenured 'Cap. But this is the reality of the cash-poor Whitecaps organization. Harvey will land on his feet, because he's a solid defender who can still contribute. I'm hoping he ends up in his native Cali somewhere.

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think the writing was on the wall for Harvey. Towards the end of the season, he was losing playing time in favor of guys like Williams and DeJong.

It's sad, because he was the longest tenured 'Cap. But this is the reality of the cash-poor Whitecaps organization. Harvey will land on his feet, because he's a solid defender who can still contribute. I'm hoping he ends up in his native Cali somewhere.

Harvey signed with LAFC: https://www.eightysixforever.com/2017/12/22/16813672/jordan-harvey-becomes-a-member-of-lafc

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

I'm sorry to see him go.  I thought he was a steady presence for the Caps - not flashy, perhaps, but always getting the job done (well, almost always).  It was reassuring to see him out there.

Good luck, Jordan.  I'm guessing winding down your career in California isn't the worst fate that can befall a player.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

http://cfjctoday.com/article/604181/vancouver-whitecaps-transfer-canadian-defender-sam-adekugbe-norwegian-club

Well, out goes Ousted and Adekugbe. These could have been 2 quality players for us this upcoming season, so with them out the door Robbo has some work ahead of him to fill the roster out. Time will tell if he's successful 

I'm sure he and Lenarduzzi will be able to find a couple more value signings before camp opens.

• 1 month later...

Don't like the sound of this:

"Sources have told MLSsoccer.com that Tim Parker asked the Vancouver Whitecaps for a trade this winter, a development that played a role in the club discussing a deal earlier this week with the NY Red Bulls involving the Long Island native and RBNY midfielder Felipe.

Parker, whose contract will expire following the 2018 season, and Vancouver talked about a new contract this offseason but didn’t come close to agreeing on a salary. Sources said that Parker is looking for a deal that will pay him more than the maximum budget charge of $504,375 per year and put him at or above the salary level of fellow American center backs Matt Hedges (FC Dallas) and Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United). The sources said Vancouver didn't meet his price, prompting Parker to ask the club for a trade."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/21/stejskal-tim-parker-requested-trade-vancouver-over-contract-dispute

15 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Don't like the sound of this:

"Sources have told MLSsoccer.com that Tim Parker asked the Vancouver Whitecaps for a trade this winter, a development that played a role in the club discussing a deal earlier this week with the NY Red Bulls involving the Long Island native and RBNY midfielder Felipe.

Parker, whose contract will expire following the 2018 season, and Vancouver talked about a new contract this offseason but didn’t come close to agreeing on a salary. Sources said that Parker is looking for a deal that will pay him more than the maximum budget charge of $504,375 per year and put him at or above the salary level of fellow American center backs Matt Hedges (FC Dallas) and Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United). The sources said Vancouver didn't meet his price, prompting Parker to ask the club for a trade."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/02/21/stejskal-tim-parker-requested-trade-vancouver-over-contract-dispute

I suspected ever sice he turned down the three-year extension the Caps offered him earlier that he might be traded. As much as I like Parker, I'd rather deal him than vastly overpay him to keep him around. They're already paying Waston more than $400K per season, that would be a lot of money to spend on two centre backs, especially in a salary cap league.

Edited by Brad Marchand

i think parker has a fair bit of value

and if he cannot be signed by the caps

he'll fetch a reasonable return

not so worried about that one

but what about the recent tcahni to chicago trade for 150K in allocation money ?

is that crazy or what ?

was that a mistake of a trade then?
so i guess the club now traded kekutah manneh for a total of $450K in allocation money ?

i think the team traded a mountain of talent for allocation cash

so where/how will that be used ?

maybe 300k was used last season

does anyone know ?

i still have not completely wrapped my head around these mls deals

Edited by coastal.view

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

I suspected ever sice he turned down the three-year extension the Caps offered him earlier that he might be traded. As much as I like Parker, I'd rather deal him than vastly overpay him to keep him around. They're already paying Waston more than $400K per season, that would be a lot of money to spend on two centre backs, especially in a salary cap league.

But would they be overpaying him?  Here's where my unfamiliarity with other teams' players prevents me from knowing.  I'm not sure how good Hedges and Birnbaum (the two players mentioned in the article) are.  Maybe Parker is simply asking for what he's worth.

You're right, it is a lot of money to have invested in two centre backs.  But they're two pretty good centre backs.

Also, this constant churning of players makes it hard to get too invested in this team.

• Upvote 1