The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

On 2018-07-14 at 11:34 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think you’re right that the Netherlands to England path might be better for him, especially in terms of his coaching and development.

And it could also prove over the long term to be the more lucrative route for VWFC, if they received a sell-on option and a percentage of any future transfers.

But I see the Caps going simply highest bidder and chasing the quickest buck, which likely means one of the bigger clubs will put in the winning bid to become the winner of the Davies Derby.

Regardless, it will be fun to see where he ends up. Hopefully he lives up to his billing. Canada could certainly use “the best footballer in the world for his age group” for international duties over the next decade or two.

Wow headed to Bayern Munich for 12 million US.

Wonder if they would loan him to Borussia Dortmund to play with Pulisic?

Could be great for his development. Dortmund has a reputation of providing a good developing place for young players.

Wonder how good the unnamed sources are for this rumour? Seems like all the chatter tracks back to that one Athletic story from Dyer.

Not saying it won’t happen. Just gonna have to wait and see where things shake out.

If it’s $12 million (or 14-15), I hope there’s also a sell-on clause attached. It’s a record sum for MLS, but a similar quality young player from a more established county/league might easily command $25 million or more. 

Also, as far as I understand FIFA regulations, Davies can’t actually be transferred until this November when he turns 18.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-fifa/story/2786732/fifa-transfer-regulations-article-19

This doesn’t prevent them from working out the details now, but I don’t think an international transfer can go through until the player is 18. So hopefully that means Davies finishes out the season with VWFC.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Wow headed to Bayern Munich for 12 million US.

Wonder if they would loan him to Borussia Dortmund to play with Pulisic?

Could be great for his development. Dortmund has a reputation of providing a good developing place for young players.

That wouldn't make any sense for us.  Thankfully, we are not in the position anymore where we have to develop players for one of our biggest rivals.

Hearing we're considering an offer ourselves. Though Bayern is the favourite to sign him according to German media. Don't think a move would be the right thing for him now as both Dortmund and Bayern are pretty stacked with wingers.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So how does that 12 million get split up?

Davies is “homegrown” so I believe VWFC will get 100% of the fee.

It has to be used for “soccer operations” and according to @GlassCityFC (who’s usually pretty solid), the club plans to put the full amount toward player acquisitions.

https://twitter.com/GlassCityFC/status/1020740230599458816?s=20

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It has to be used for “soccer operations” and according to @GlassCityFC (who’s usually pretty solid), the club plans to put the full amount toward player acquisitions.

so in theory they can use all those proceeds

for the operating expenses of the entire club next season

and simply pocket all the other revenues the team earns from ticket sales, etc.???
so it appears there really are very few meaningful controls in place

"player aquisitions" does not mean the team is raising the team salary cap substantially

and i really do not get why this deal has to be done now

immediately!

the kid is still 17will he really be worth less at the end of the caps current season?

and only was just showing flashes of how special he really might be

maybe with a number of other flashes of brilliance he could have been sold for more ?

and entertained the locals a wee bit longer

who is going to want to watch this team moving forward

they just sold their best player for cash

and no realistic replacement in sight

he and kamara were the only reasons to watch this team

and kamara will not be as productive without him

i wonder if i can get a refund on my sept 1 tickets ?

Edited by coastal.view

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

so in theory they can use all those proceeds

for the operating expenses of the entire club next season

and simply pocket all the other revenues the team earns from ticket sales, etc.???
so it appears there really are very few meaningful controls in place

"player aquisitions" does not mean the team is raising the team salary cap substantially

and i really do not get why this deal has to be done now

immediately!

the kid is still 17will he really be worth less at the end of the caps current season?

and only was just showing flashes of how special he really might be

maybe with a number of other flashes of brilliance he could have been sold for more ?

and entertained the locals a wee bit longer

who is going to want to watch this team moving forward

they just sold their best player for cash

and no realistic replacement in sight

he and kamara were the only reasons to watch this team

and kamara will not be as productive without him

i wonder if i can get a refund on my sept 1 tickets ?

I hear ya. Davies was pretty much all that’s been keeping me invested lately. Such a frustrating season (other than watching Fonzy).

And tonight certainly didn’t help.

Wish they were somehow selling Juárez instead. What an idiot. :angry:

And while the $12M sounds like a lot, I think it’s a bit of a lowball personally. Especially with the recent rumours Bayern is still haggling on the price. You’d think they’d just pay the $12M and race out of town like this lady:

But hopefully there are bonus clauses and a sell on percentage. 

Regardless, your point is well taken about VWFC possibly just using the fee to pay down current salaries and not splashing money around on new players. Hopefully that’s not gonna be the case. The fans deserve better.

I’m trying to be optimistic that this windfall means we’ll see some big names added to the future roster.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I hear ya. Davies was pretty much all that’s been keeping me invested lately. Such a frustrating season (other than watching Fonzy).

And tonight certainly didn’t help.

Wish they were somehow selling Juárez instead. What an idiot. :angry:

And while the $12M sounds like a lot, I think it’s a bit of a lowball personally. Especially with the recent rumours Bayern is still haggling on the price. You’d think they’d just pay the $12M and race out of town like this lady:

Bayern has a recent history of being a bit cheap on the transfer market, so this shouldn't surprise you much. Almost reminds me a bit of the Caps ownership.

Meanwhile, the Caps have become way too reliant on counterattacking to produce offence. The Sounders figured this out last year and now just sit players back and make the Whitecaps generate chances through build-up play, which they don't have the personnel or training to do consistently against properly organized defences like Seattle.

They could try to sell Juarez, but probably wouldn't get more than a bag full of balls the way he's playing.

Edited by Brad Marchand

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

When you think about it, 12 million isn't really a lot.

The Caps could sign a 4 million dollar player for three years.  

And the money is gone.

I think the problem here is mostly his contract, which runs out at the end of this year. It's the choice between 12m now or nothing next year. Price would probably be a lot higher if he had a longer contract.

Haven't seen a lot of him, but it would probably benefit his development if he stayed at least another year in the MLS and then look for a upper-mid table European side to set foot in Europe.

15 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

When you think about it, 12 million isn't really a lot.

The Caps could sign a 4 million dollar player for three years.  

And the money is gone.

There will probably be added clauses and a sell on fee included in the deal.

26 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Hopefully yes, honestly I would rather see him sold to a "smaller" club in one of  the top leagues with a sell on fee included.

Itll be sad to see him go, but also the best thing for the kid and Canadian soccer.

They better get some good players for alll this money they getting for davies, if not , people need to boycott the whitecaps, cause if they dont buy new players, than what they gonna do with all that money sit on Bob Lenarduzzi lap? lol

as it stands our team cant score, think we goalless in 3 games now?  in any regards, we need a superstar like toronto has with givinco and altidore 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Yeah, seeing rumours now that the Caps are asking for an additional $6 million in bonuses plus a 15% sell on.

Also some recent reports in the UK papers saying the fee may go as high as £15m (~$20m USD).

Those numbers sound a bit better. 

But it all depends on how VWFC actually spends that money.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Davies is back training with Caps today.

All the transfer talk seems to be about a pre-transfer negotiation, with the actual transfer coming in January.

So Davies should remain with VWFC through the end of the MLS season. Then he’ll start 2019 in Europe.

These appear to be the details:

so will they hold him out of competition

for the rest of the season now ?

21 hours ago, gurn said:

Seems a bit strange to sell Alfonso, then use the money to try to replace Alfonso.

because they won't

that much is clear