The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I think we saw a microcosm of what's gone wrong defensively for the 'Caps this season, near the end of last night's game.

A late free kick from close to the sideline had players from both teams lined up just outside the 18 yard box. It was eerily similar to the late free kick that allowed NYRB to score the late equalizer last week and just like on that play, there was an Earthquake player standing all alone with a clear path to the far post. The broadcast team mentioned it at the time, but for whatever reason, none of the 'Caps' defenders moved to mark him.

Luckily, the free kick went into the penalty area and was cleared, but it was an inexcusable lapse considering what happened last week and it's an example of the defensive dysfunction that this team has shown all season.

Daniel and Henrik Sedin added to roster for Whitecaps FC Legends & Stars charity match:

VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Tuesday that Daniel and Henrik Sedin have been added to the roster for the club’s Legends & Stars charity soccer match in support of BC Children’s Hospital, taking place on Saturday, September 15 at BC Place.

The Vancouver Canucks legends, who announced their retirement from the National Hockey League in April following illustrious 17-year careers, join a star-studded roster featuring cast from Riverdale, Once Upon A Time, and The 100, three-time Olympic medalist and figure skating world champion Patrick Chan, and alumni from Whitecaps FC’s 40+ year history, including new addition Davide Chiumiento.

See the full roster below. 

Tickets for the Legends & Stars match are on sale now for just $5. An online auction, featuring signed and game-worn celebrity jerseys and memorabilia, has also been launched. All proceeds from ticket sales and the online auction will be donated to BC Children's Hospital. 

To attend Legends & Stars, fans must also have a ticket for Whitecaps FC’s Major League Soccer match vs. longtime rivals Seattle Sounders FC later that evening.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

• The Legends & Stars match will take place on Saturday, September 15 from 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. PT at BC Place, ahead of the 7 p.m. MLS match between Vancouver and Seattle. Fans can enter BC Place through Gate A, beginning at 4:15 p.m. PT.
  • To purchase a ticket for the Legends & Stars match, fans must also have or purchase a ticket for the MLS match. No in-and-outs will be permitted between matches.

LEGENDS & STARS ROSTER (SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

Riverdale
KJ Apa (Archie Andrews)
Casey Cott (Kevin Keller)
Jordan Connor (Sweet Pea)
Mark Consuelos (Hiram Lodge – also Matteo on All My Children)
Martin Cummins (Sheriff Tom Keller)
Charles Melton (Reggie Mantle)
Rob Raco (Joaquin DeSantos)
Tiera Skovbye (Polly Cooper)
Drew Ray Tanner (Fangs Fogarty)

The 100
Henry Ian Cusick (Marcus Kane – also Desmond Hume on Lost)
Mike Dopud (Michael Vinson)
Jessica Harmon (Niylah)
Richard Harmon (John Murphy)
Jarod Joseph (Nathan Miller)
Lindsey Morgan (Raven Reyes)
Bob Morley (Bellamy Blake)
Tasya Teles (Echo)

Once Upon A Time
Colin O’Donoghue (Captain Hook)
Chris Gauthier (William Smee)

iZombie
David Anders (Blaine DeBeers)
Robert Buckley (Major Lilywhite)
Malcolm Goodwin (Clive Babineaux)
Jessica Harmon (Dale Bozzio)
Bryce Hodgson (Don E/Scott E)
Rahul Kohli (Ravi Chakrabarti)

Letterkenny
Andrew Herr (Jonesy)
Tyler Johnston (Stewart)

Other
Jean-Luc Bilodeau (Ben/Baby Daddy)
Patrick Chan (Three-time Olympic medalist and figure skating world champion)
Adrian Holmes (Frank Pike/Arrow, Nick Barron/19-2, Basqat/Smallville)
Craig McMorris (Red Bull/Canadian snowboarder)
Dan Payne (Beast/Descendants)
Ryan Robbins (Samuel Bly/Sacred Lies, Noah Funk/Pure)
Daniel Sedin (Vancouver Canucks)
Henrik Sedin (Vancouver Canucks)
Emma Tremblay (Ruby Arias/Supergirl)
Erica Tremblay (Bunny/Imaginary Mary)
Jacob Tremblay (Auggie/Wonder, Jack/Room)
Adam Tsekhman (Gary Green/Legends of Tomorrow)

Alumni
John Catliff (striker)
Davide Chiumiento (midfielder)
Jeff Clarke (midfielder)
Jay DeMerit (defender)
Paul Dolan (forward)
Nick Dasovic (defender)
Ivor Evans (midfielder)
Steve Macdonald (defender)
Erin McNulty (goalkeeper)
Rob Merkl (goalkeeper)
Jay Nolly (goalkeeper)
Guido Titotto (midfielder)
Alfredo Valente (midfielder)

Coaches: Alan Errington, Gerry Heaney

Honourary coach/ambassador: Carl Valentine 

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2018/08/28/daniel-and-henrik-sedin-added-roster-whitecaps-fc-legends-stars-charity-match

On 8/30/2018 at 6:45 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Yep, very interesting, NPF. Thanks for posting.

I think the author(s) are trying a bit too hard to make connections, but I have to admit that knowing Lenarduzzi like I do, nothing would surprise me. That being said, I believe that Kendall Waston has been the best signing since Camillo and if BASE could get us another just like him, it probably wouldn't matter who the 'Keeper is....

• 4 weeks later...

I know Craig the interim head coach well.  Good luck to him!  Super tough spot to be thrust into, not only the head coach fired... all the assistants as well.  Somehow you have to come up with a game plan from scratch for five games.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Provost said:

I know Craig the interim head coach well.  Good luck to him!  Super tough spot to be thrust into, not only the head coach fired... all the assistants as well.  Somehow you have to come up with a game plan from scratch for five games.

I think they should start at the top, and fire Lenarduzzi while they're at it. How many years of this nonsense, and the same result each and every year. The S American project isn't working, neither does the British coaching experience. They haven't progressed since Robbo took over....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I think they should start at the top, and fire Lenarduzzi while they're at it. How many years of this nonsense, and the same result each and every year. The S American project isn't working, neither does the British coaching experience. They haven't progressed since Robbo took over....

Doubt it will happen, but at some point it probably should.

In this case you can lay stuff at the feet of Robinson, as manager  he had the biggest say in who they scouted and signed, and apparently even decisions at the academy level.

i just wish good luck for my friend, managing a team in this spot is almost a no win situation.  If he can squeak them into the playoffs, that is the only way to look OK.

How much change of systems can the players handle with a few days before their next game.  You can’t be the new guy and just play the same systems and set plays.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, johngould21 said:

From the article above about BASE and the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon going on, it makes you wonder who exactly was pulling the strings behind the scenes. I often felt Lenarduzzi may have felt like his hands were tied often. Maybe after the release of Robinson, it might come out what was really going on.

Regardless, a whole new regime from the top down might be the answer too.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I can't dispute that maybe a new voice is needed, but IMHO, Lenarduzzi should have been let go a long time ago.

Yeah, it was definitely time for a change, but probably VWFC needs to cut even deeper to truly fix things. 

Hopefully the rumours around Marc Dos Santos are true. I think he'd be a solid replacement.

bye bye carl

this move really should have been made at the start of the previous season

when lack of on field discipline was clearly a problem that he could not effectively manage

and that has continued into this season and harmed the team in a number of games

this is just one example of the team not being able to show sufficient mental toughness

the team also falters badly under pressure

as demonstrated by the unbelievable number of goals scored either at the start of a half

or at the end of a half and into extra time

is any team in the league worse??

the team needs to review its core of players and find more with better resolve

and also change their team tactics and systems

such heavy reliance on a counter attack style of play

that is dependent on the other team making mistakes

is a very very poor recipe for any playoff success

a heavy house cleaning is required

i'd like to see upper management turfed as well

i'd also like to know a bit more about the team finances

they are very secretive about what is going on

we know about the davies transfer fee (the amount)

but what about all the expansion fees that have been paid over the recent years?

what is their share of tv and other league revenues?

they want fans to believe they are spending reasonably given that they are a mid market team

i don't believe them.. i think expansion fees have just been mostly pocketed

and i expect the majority of the davies transfer fees to allow the team to pocket additional game receipts

since they are unlikely to increase their player payroll in any fashion

they have not so far 

and now the team will miss the playoffs

i am  a fan of carl , but a change was needed, just sucks it was done at this point and time....i also feel bob needs to be let go aswell, he was great when he was involved with the vancouver 86ers , but with the team stagnating like it is now, a whole office shift is needed, but i dont think onwers will drop bob, hes like famiy to them, bob will have to retire...i just dont see him being fired/let go ...

NOW if they get a new couch with new ideas and spend some freaking cash and get 1 or 2 allstars , we have have a chance to compete , enough of these backwater players like blondell rofl

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully the rumours around Marc Dos Santos are true.I think he'd be a solid replacement.

id hope so too, but he may land a job with the earthqakes, they want him pretty bad, which will leave us with fraser or Caleb Porter , but with bob, he may already have someone in mind, going by his interview earlier .....guess we find out soon enough lol

Some of his deployments were definitely questionable... but then again, it all depends on the talent available.  

As long as the owners of the team are treating their pennies like manhole covers, this team won't be going anywhere. 

The Caps spends about 8 million in salary (probably about 1 million in dead weight salary like Blondell, Shea, etc).... TFC spends $26 million, LA Galaxy $17 million, NYCFC spends $14 million, Portland/Montreal/Seattle hovering around $12 million.  

It wouldn't matter even if the Whitecaps somehow convince Sir Alex Ferguson to come out of retirement to manage the team.... he won't be having much better success with a tight budget.  

11 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Some of his deployments were definitely questionable... but then again, it all depends on the talent available.  

As long as the owners of the team are treating their pennies like manhole covers, this team won't be going anywhere. 

The Caps spends about 8 million in salary (probably about 1 million in dead weight salary like Blondell, Shea, etc).... TFC spends $26 million, LA Galaxy $17 million, NYCFC spends $14 million, Portland/Montreal/Seattle hovering around $12 million.  

It wouldn't matter even if the Whitecaps somehow convince Sir Alex Ferguson to come out of retirement to manage the team.... he won't be having much better success with a tight budget.  

so you are saying

that the atlanta model does not work?

i'm thinking it does

they have shrewd intelligent management

that had a comprehensive plan how to build and run a team

you are giving this team easy excuses

they have had much more time then atlanta

to use their experience to develop a sophisticated plan

but they are incapable. .and will be followers

of how other teams do things