The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agreed with Dalrymple subbing Shea....he was crap all night, but Felipe? Seriously? :picard:

It must be hard to get players, who have really no connection to our city (or country even) to play for the crest on that jersey.  Maybe Bobby needs to only sign player that compete on every ball, no matter the score, because they are internally super competitive?

Ugh,

They have really made a mess in the last few years. They have had some much opportunity to grow the fan base while the Nucks have been in the rebuild. 

If it wasn't for Alphonso ....it would be a total let down. When do they get the money for him? do they plan on spending it?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It must be hard to get players, who have really no connection to our city (or country even) to play for the crest on that jersey.  Maybe Bobby needs to only sign player that compete on every ball, no matter the score, because they are internally super competitive?

I think there's something to be said for that. We've seen players like Miller and Camillo who were great players, but not really invested in the club.

Then you have a guy like Teibert, who leaves it all out there, but unfortunately isn't as skilled as a lot of players.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I've heard Kerfoot is the is the nicest guy and he is very straight forward. I wonder what goes on with him and his leadership group. They don't seem to have a decisive direction or even care about their success in growing the fans base or the standings. As you have mentioned that's how the players seem to act now too, no real care.

I agree, give us some players with heart.

58 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think there's something to be said for that. We've seen players like Miller and Camillo who were great players, but not really invested in the club.

Then you have a guy like Teibert, who leaves it all out there, but unfortunately isn't as skilled as a lot of players.

Absolutely. I was so happy he played. I wasn't expecting him to.

His quote about last night.

“I’ve been a part of this team for quite some time now. This is the first time I want to apologize to the fans and to the people at this club because they don’t deserve what they just saw,” said the Canadian midfielder. That was a team that gave in, and that’s not what we’re about here. I want to apologize on behalf of the team, to the people who came to watch, to the people who supported us. That’s not what this team is about.”

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/russell-teibert-apologizes-whitecaps-fans

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Absolutely. I was so happy he played. I wasn't expecting him to.

His quote about last night.

“I’ve been a part of this team for quite some time now. This is the first time I want to apologize to the fans and to the people at this club because they don’t deserve what they just saw,” said the Canadian midfielder. That was a team that gave in, and that’s not what we’re about here. I want to apologize on behalf of the team, to the people who came to watch, to the people who supported us. That’s not what this team is about.”

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/russell-teibert-apologizes-whitecaps-fans

Wow.

Pretty ballsy call-out of his teammates.  Wonder how that's going to play in the dressing room?

Maybe Teibert should be coach?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Wow.

Pretty ballsy call-out of his teammates.  Wonder how that's going to play in the dressing room?

Maybe Teibert should be coach?

#playercoach

Also, don't know if you read in the Province...Carl thanked owners, the team and the fans. He left out the front office. Leads me to believe the problem was between him and Bob.

Well, that was a perfect example of what's wrong with this team...

With a mathematical (albeit slim) chance of making the playoffs with a win, the 'Caps are content with a draw.<_< Needing another goal, Dalrymple removes both Reyna and Hurtado from the game and we're left with Anthony Blondell as our striker. :picard:

11 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Well im glad we out, now whoever becomes a manager, will clean this mess of a football team.

If they made the playoffs, it be like rewarding your child with candy for bad behavior 

i agree with the sentiment

went to 2 games this season

1st one was a loss and it appeared team did not know how to properly use davies

(he broke out in the next few games though - could see he was close)

and 2nd game they just squeaked out a win against the league's worst team

watched them off and on on tv as well

a disappointing team overall since the start of the previous season

could see then that the team had discipline issues that were not being adequately addressed

and that has continued to the end of this season

their system of play is too one dimensional

and too easy to defend

the sublime davies created match up problems just due to his skill

otherwise there really was not much of a consistent threat poised by the caps

a big change is necessary

curious to see what they do

really curious about how much they spend on player salaries moving forward

i'd think anything less then at 12 million budget is shortchanging the fans

and pocketing way too much of the davies transfer fees

(and still no one talks about what happened to the expansion fees the team received

there have been multiple expansion teams since the caps joined

and the last few paid 100+ million expansion fees... where did that money go?)

• Upvote 1

This off season will be the biggest the franchise will have since it came into the MLS. Needless to say the honeymoon period is over for the loyal whitecaps fans. Bob has preached about drafting and developing players through the draft and academy program. Well I will run down the names of all the caps players we have drafted and developed and see if his plan has worked out.

2011 1st overall:Omar Salgado- departed and now plays for the Las Vegas lights of the USL 

2012 2nd overall Darren Mattocks: departed and now plays for the Portland Timbers

2013 4th and 5th overall Kekuta Manneh and Erik Hurtado. We traded Kekuta Mannah to Columbus for Tony Tchani who is no longer with the club and plays for Chicago. While Hurtado is still with the club with little success on the pitch. 

2014: Christian Dean drafted 3rd overall departed and is no longer with the club, traded to Chicago fire for allocation money in 2017.

2015: Tim Parker 3rd overall, traded at the beginning of the season over a contract dispute and dealt to NY Redbulls. 

2017 Jake Nerwinski, 7th overall and is still with the Whitecaps.

Alfonso Davis and Russell Teibert never drafted but developed in the whitecaps academy, with Alfonso leaving the club now. I don’t think we will ever have a golden goose come out of our program like Davis did(he was originally in Edmonton’s soccer program in which we transferred him to the whitecaps academy, so we can’t even take full credit for him). I sure hope the whitecaps don’t keep hoping that they will strike twice because aside from these two players that’s all that’s come out of our academy since 2011.

So with knowing the track record of the players we draft and develop does this look like a plan that’s working? I can’t see how Bobby can keep singing this same tune when we can’t even keep our own players due to contracts (money) with Parker and Dean. So it is becoming so clear that this team has run out of track when it comes to spin on what direction this team is going. We don’t spend money on players like other clubs do. We draft and then trade every player that we have had (aside from Hurtado and Nerwinski) so what are fans to do? We can’t keep blindly support a team that doesn’t know what it’s doing and the fans are finally getting tired of the same song and dance. I have a caps jersey but I can never put numbers or a name on the jersey because the turnover every year is so great. We have that 23 million dollars but what will we actually do with that money to help this team. We need a huge off season for this fan base to restore the faith in this team. Perhaps change the turf to real grass at BC Place to start things so we could actually lure a legit striker to play here. Because nobody wants to play on that AstroTurf. I hope something changes because the status quo/bobs master plan for the last 7 years just plain SUCKS!

C752809C-399F-4842-90BD-D57129BC6266.gif

Edited by EP Phone Home

As if this season wasn't disappointing enough, now Kendall Waston wants out:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/whitecaps-captain-kendall-waston-reiterates-desire-leave-club/

Vancouver Whitecaps captain Kendall Waston says he’s looking to leave the club.

The 30-year-old fullback is under contract with the organization but says his agent will work out a deal that will get him out of Vancouver.

Kendall reiterating he wants to move on. Said he "doesn't like two faced people" so he feels it's best to move. Said his agent and the club will work on this. Said if you don't feel safe at home, what do you do? #VWFC

Kendall says "he's not quitting on the team", just looking for the best opportunity now for him and his family. Said he's been loyal to the team and flying back from world Cup shows that - "I'm not quitting. I never quit" #vwfc

He says he’s been loyal to the Whitecaps since joining the club in 2014, but leaving is the best decision for his family.

The Costa Rican international says he’s been looking at opportunities with other clubs but declined to name specific teams or leagues.

The Whitecaps missed the playoffs this year, finishing in eighth place in the Major League Soccer’s Western Conference with a 13-13-8 record.

Waston has tallied 14 goals and four assists in 114 regular-season games in Vancouver.

He doesn't like two-faced people....I wonder who he could be talking about there?

My guess is a certain Italian-Canadian who's been running this club for far too long...<_<

• Upvote 1