The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Disgraceful display by the players in season ending press conference. But glad it's all out in the open now.

Team needs to be gutted, including management...and NOW. 

This ownership needs to take action now, fire Lenarduzzi and hire high quality people to run this team. Hopefully this will spur on owners to spend more money for real players, not Latin American hopefuls who play for cheap.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/ugly-scenes-truth-comes-whitecaps-media-day/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Disgraceful display by the players in season ending press conference. But glad it's all out in the open now.

This ownership needs to take action now, fire Lenarduzzi and hire high quality people to run this team. Hopefully this will spur on owners to spend more money for real players, not Latin American hopefuls who play for cheap.

this is the carl robinson legacy

an ill conceived method to build a club

and he was unable to effectively control on field discipline

now we see the discord extended to off field dynamics

horrible attempt to build a team

good riddance carl

if i had any doubts before these recent revelations confirm it

i think he will have trouble finding another job now

he needs clear guidance in player selection

by a very hands on gm

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Ownership doesn't have the balls to fire Lenarduzzi. They might be able to bring in a manager who can purge some of the dead weight off this team, but he isn't leaving until he wants to.

I rarely suggest a mass exodus as a solution, but I agree that Whitecaps needs a major reset.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 1

Well, this is jolly.

We've lost our best offensive player and now we're going to lose our best defensive player.

And to make things even better, we've got the players saying what a mess the team is.  That's bound to be an attraction to any high profile player out there who's looking for a new team.  "Come on out to Vancouver and start your own clique!  But watch your back!".

Gonna be an interesting off-season.

10 hours ago, coastal.view said:

good riddance carl

by a very hands on gm

Yup, agreed.

Robbo fired two years two late in imo. Rookie head coach trying to be the player's friends plus this focus on players from one area of the world plus poor GM and this is the result.

I'm hesitant to say cheap owners as well because we're really middle of the pack league wise but it doesn't take a huge bump in salary to do what Atlanta has done so quickly.

9 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Ownership doesn't have the balls to fire Lenarduzzi. They might be able to bring in a manager who can purge some of the dead weight off this team, but he isn't leaving until he wants to.

I rarely suggest a mass exodus as a solution, but I agree that Whitecaps needs a major reset.

That's the thing though. What high quality manager would want to come to work for a team content on being mediocre by being hamstrung by middling salary structure and who knows that any international players of real quality will never want to come here to play on that joke of a surface at BC Place. Lenarduzzi is the owner's safe pick because he'll do their bidding so I agree that I don't see them turfing him unfortunately. Same can be said of finding any coach of real quality to come here.

This team has always openly stated their business model is to remain middle to lower side of the league all while developing value (cheap) players into higher value players then selling them off. Nowhere have I ever seen this team state that their goal is to actually win a championship. Yet why would ownership change that model when suckers continue to pack the lower bowl game in game out.

So frustrated the last couple of years with this team.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, coastal.view said:

good riddance carl

by a very hands on gm

Although Carl probably needed to go, I think it's unfair to lay all of this at his feet. He didn't decide how much the club spends on players, he just uses what's available to him and tries to build a competitive club with it. How successful he was in that regard, is another debate.

It's worth noting that one of the reasons for Waston's desire to leave was the firing of Robinson. Again, whether KW's complaint is warranted is a matter for debate, but I think even Robinson's biggest critic would have to admit that firing him so late in the season in the hope that it would spur the team on to a playoff spot, failed spectacularly.

I'm fine with a new coach. It was probably time anyway, but IMHO, nothing will truly get better until Lenarduzzi is shown the door as well.

On 2018-10-29 at 3:07 PM, EP Phone Home said:

Perhaps change the turf to real grass at BC Place to start things so we could actually lure a legit striker to play here.

Grass will never happen at BC Place. Too many moving pieces, too much maintenance. The only hope for a grass field is a new stadium. 

12 hours ago, coastal.view said:

good riddance carl

by a very hands on gm

Good riddance for sure, but I don't really blame Robinson. He was a middling coach from the start, and was mostly hired because plans A to E didn't pan out. 

It's all on ownership and management. We're continually seeing the same results with the same management. Inability to attract good coaches, inability to consistently find good players, inability to retain the good players they do find. Constant embarrassing episodes, complacency, lack of respect for fans, lack of respect for players, no motivation to shake things up or make significant changes. 

Here's the off-season plan:

• Lose all of the good players from this year. 
  • Hire a coach with no MLS experience. 
  • Fill the lineup with borderline cast-off MLS players. 
  • Find some 'gems' from South America. 
  • Maybe sign a cheap retiree from Europe.
  • Start a new 'We're all in this together' advertising campaign. 
  • Find additional ways to include the tears of supporters on the jersey and marketing materials. 
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Grass will never happen at BC Place. Too many moving pieces, too much maintenance. The only hope for a grass field is a new stadium. 

Well that’s a big issue because nobody wants to come here that’s a Star player who wastes their knees on our crappy turf. But the real problem starts at the top with two faced Bob and how he has brought in the players who started this devided locker room culture. Maybe stop going on the cheap and getting a real named player... oh wait we are back to the grass field problem again...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MJDDawg said:

Yup, agreed.

Robbo fired two years two late in imo. Rookie head coach trying to be the player's friends plus this focus on players from one area of the world plus poor GM and this is the result.

I'm hesitant to say cheap owners as well because we're really middle of the pack league wise but it doesn't take a huge bump in salary to do what Atlanta has done so quickly.

That's the thing though. What high quality manager would want to come to work for a team content on being mediocre by being hamstrung by middling salary structure and who knows that any international players of real quality will never want to come here to play on that joke of a surface at BC Place. Lenarduzzi is the owner's safe pick because he'll do their bidding so I agree that I don't see them turfing him unfortunately. Same can be said of finding any coach of real quality to come here.

This team has always openly stated their business model is to remain middle to lower side of the league all while developing value (cheap) players into higher value players then selling them off. Nowhere have I ever seen this team state that their goal is to actually win a championship. Yet why would ownership change that model when suckers continue to pack the lower bowl game in game out.

So frustrated the last couple of years with this team.

Now that this is public news, and Lenarduzzi admitting it in the press conference, I think his best before date is coming up fast. Most of us have been saying for at least two years that this is on Bobby, and his captain publicly saying just that, and the fact Waston wants out of his contract, I'll quote someone else that always said, tick, tick. You can only fool fans in this market for so long, this bs, isn't fooling anyone. Canuck fans complaining about Canuck ownership, and management....they don't come close to this debacle.

19 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Well that’s a big issue because nobody wants to come here that’s a Star player who wastes their knees on our crappy turf. But the real problem starts at the top with two faced Bob and how he has brought in the players who started this devided locker room culture. Maybe stop going on the cheap and getting a real named player... oh wait we are back to the grass field problem again...

Absolutely. Hopefully something like the Waterfront Stadium can start to be discussed again. 

It seems like a fair number of players have trouble settling down in Vancouver as well. Felipe Martins was talking about the difficulties he was facing with his family here, and we've heard similar stories before. That reputation won't help retain players, and points to another failing in the front office. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Absolutely. Hopefully something like the Waterfront Stadium can start to be discussed again. 

It seems like a fair number of players have trouble settling down in Vancouver as well. Felipe Martins was talking about the difficulties he was facing with his family here, and we've heard similar stories before. That reputation won't help retain players, and points to another failing in the front office. 

I've often wondered about how warm climate players adjust to this city where it rains for three quarters of the year. It's hard for younger people who actually live here full time to meet people in this town, let alone players from another country who have to be holed up in their downtown condo when they're not at work.

29 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Man I remember there was that stadium proposal about the coal harbor waterfront location that would’ve been paid not by the city but ownership of the land (his name escapes me) and it would’ve had a 25-30,000 seat stadium out by the water with the north shore mountains as the backdrop. For whatever reason the city decided it was a better idea to renovate BC place instead and the rest as they say is history. Now we are stuck when it comes to trying to improve our product and game. We have an outstanding fan base of soccer rabid fans, it’s too bad that we can’t give them what they deserve, at least for the moment. I’ve heard Bob speak about how the team is one of the best developing teams in the league, well Bob what do you do when you develop those players? You sell them off and then we are back to square one. I have posted in the past page a long list of players we drafted and developed only to lose them time and time again. You aren’t fooling anyone anymore now Bob. And while I do acknowledge that Bob did a lot for this town as a player and entering the franchise into the MLS. He hasn’t been the man for the job. It’s time to find someone else who can come in and make this a competitive team with players who want to win. That takes ownership commitment as well, so I hope the fans make everyone listen that this isn’t ok going forward.

BD4870B4-06B1-4C2B-A6CE-8DE23B84C473.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Although Carl probably needed to go, I think it's unfair to lay all of this at his feet. He didn't decide how much the club spends on players, he just uses what's available to him and tries to build a competitive club with it. How successful he was in that regard, is another debate.

It's worth noting that one of the reasons for Waston's desire to leave was the firing of Robinson. Again, whether KW's complaint is warranted is a matter for debate, but I think even Robinson's biggest critic would have to admit that firing him so late in the season in the hope that it would spur the team on to a playoff spot, failed spectacularly.

I'm fine with a new coach. It was probably time anyway, but IMHO, nothing will truly get better until Lenarduzzi is shown the door as well.

i disagree

i have been noting robinson's inability to deal with on field discipline issues for 2 seasons now

he chose all these players

the dysfunction level is extremely high for a professional club

he was unable to mold them into an effective team

who else is responsible?

salary cap issues do not lead to poor choices in player personalities and character

(atlanta has basically the same salary allotment for its team and are successful)

let's look at the team for a moment

these are all presumably competitive players

who on earth would not rise and rally for a team with a true superstar talent on it?

davies began to shine this season

the caps players seemed to consolidated their divisiveness to coincide with davies breaking out

how is this possible?

think of the canucks... if they decided to flounder and crater

with the rise of ep40

surely there is something wrong with the core of these players?
and who recruited, selected and signed them ?

this was a dream opportunity for most of these players

and they simply failed to seize it

Edited by coastal.view

Lmao this franchise is abysmal, such a mess. 

When your President says "This room has a culture problem, and that culture problem is inside the locker room" and completely dismisses himself from any blame, that's when fans tune out.

Whitecaps fans need to walk out. Stop selling out games. The owner doesn't give 2 sh*ts about how this team performs as long as the dollars roll in, that's why you never see him or hear from him. The President gives a sh*t about the team but doesn't know how to be a president, he should be the mascot and head of marketing since his only usefulness is the nostalgic feelings he gives the 40+ year olds in the market. 

How in the hell do you not market your BEST player, the teenage phenomenon, because you want to "protect him" from the fans and media, yet you're going to expose him to a toxic, cancerous locker room? 

They lied about Tim Parker not wanting to be in Vancouver, when he himself and all his friends and family stated the opposite. 

Holy hell this team is so mismanaged, misguided, and a dumpster fire. I'm glad I gave up my season tickets 2 years ago. 

Sell the team to the Aquilinis or another Vancouver based owner, fire the moron Lenarduzzi, and scrap the cancers from the team and rebuild this thing. 

Whoever the new coach is, whether it is Dos Santos or someone else, should not sign any contract that does not state full roster autonomy and zero interference from Lenarduzzi. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Lmao this franchise is abysmal, such a mess. 

When your President says "This room has a culture problem, and that culture problem is inside the locker room" and completely dismisses himself from any blame, that's when fans tune out.

Whitecaps fans need to walk out. Stop selling out games. The owner doesn't give 2 sh*ts about how this team performs as long as the dollars roll in, that's why you never see him or hear from him. The President gives a sh*t about the team but doesn't know how to be a president, he should be the mascot and head of marketing since his only usefulness is the nostalgic feelings he gives the 40+ year olds in the market. 

How in the hell do you not market your BEST player, the teenage phenomenon, because you want to "protect him" from the fans and media, yet you're going to expose him to a toxic, cancerous locker room? 

They lied about Tim Parker not wanting to be in Vancouver, when he himself and all his friends and family stated the opposite. 

Holy hell this team is so mismanaged, misguided, and a dumpster fire. I'm glad I gave up my season tickets 2 years ago. 

Sell the team to the Aquilinis or another Vancouver based owner, fire the moron Lenarduzzi, and scrap the cancers from the team and rebuild this thing. 

Whoever the new coach is, whether it is Dos Santos or someone else, should not sign any contract that does not state full roster autonomy and zero interference from Lenarduzzi. 

I hope Greg Kerfoot, Steve Luvox, Jeff Mallet and Steve Nash with their two billion of net worth start listening to fans like you. But like you said, the only way to hear us is by NOT talking with our wallets and walking away. Apathy is now upon you Whitecaps. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

And that is when/why this team will be stuck as is, where is.

Ownership was prepared to build it's own stadium and governmental powers shut the idea down.

Annoyed with the team now? Then the first place to blame is the Port Of Vancouver, the federal, provincial and city government.

THEN add in an internal salary cap, dubious at best drafting, and a football academy that has only produced 1 all star in Davies, and a couple of other players that have managed just a few minutes of play  in Norman and some other fella that played a few minutes in the final season game.

Throw in poor player retention of those dubious drafts add in poor free agent signings and this is what happens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i disagree

i have been noting robinson's inability to deal with on field discipline issues for 2 seasons now

he chose all these players

the dysfunction level is extremely high for a professional club

he was unable to mold them into an effective team

who else is responsible?

salary cap issues do not lead to poor choices in player personalities and character

(atlanta has basically the same salary allotment for its team and are successful)

let's look at the team for a moment

these are all presumably competitive players

who on earth would not rise and rally for a team with a true superstar talent on it?

davies began to shine this season

the caps players seemed to consolidated their divisiveness to coincide with davies breaking out

how is this possible?

think of the canucks... if they decided to flounder and crater

with the rise of ep40

surely there is something wrong with the core of these players?
and who recruited, selected and signed them ?

this was a dream opportunity for most of these players

and they simply failed to seize it

Well, we can agree to disagree, I suppose.

Robbo bears responsibility for sure, but to suggest that Lenarduzzi doesn't deserve just as much criticism is wrong, IMHO.

Lenarduzzi saying that they knew about the divide is mind-boggling. So you’re the boss of all of these players and coaches, you knew that there was a culture issue, and you did nothing? Way to take ownership and accepting the fact that your vision failed. Everyone likes

someone who acknowledges making mistakes and making things right again. Bob has shown us he can’t lead or take any blame for this. That’s all I will say about this and hope for change from

the top down.