The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

I feel management has been rudderless, and half adding it for years. Seeing some major changes in the way the team operates would maybe get me back into the fold as I already checked out on them 2 years or so back.

But I'm not sad to see Waston go. He was always one of our more effective players, but he's been my most hated for a while. I can't stand watching big strong players act like such bitches. if anything his departure has me more inclined to follow the team again. It's too bad that Davies will be gone by then.

We couldn't keep a clean sheet with KW in the lineup. I can just imagine how it's going to be without him, especially since Lenarduzzi said they'll trade him at below market value.

Something tells me that DeJong will get regular playing time at the back, so we better find some players who can outscore the lack of defending ability.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We couldn't keep a clean sheet with KW in the lineup. I can just imagine how it's going to be without him, especially since Lenarduzzi said they'll trade him at below market value.

Something tells me that DeJong will get regular playing time at the back, so we better find some players who can outscore the lack of defending ability.

Does Camillo still play?  That guy was a serious goal scorer. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does Camillo still play?  That guy was a serious goal scorer. 

Left for greener pastures. Not sure why he'd consider coming back, especially with the train wreck that the club is right now.

If it were just a matter of money, there are better options that the 'Caps could throw a pile of cash at. Just look at the effect Rooney has had on DC United.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Left for greener pastures. Not sure why he'd consider coming back, especially with the train wreck that the club is right now.

If it were just a matter of money, there are better options that the 'Caps could throw a pile of cash at. Just look at the effect Rooney has had on DC United.

Would players like Rooney play on turf though?  Maybe Bobby tries to bring in some of these bigger named guys, but they don't want to risk playing on the turf?  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would players like Rooney play on turf though?  Maybe Bobby tries to bring in some of these bigger named guys, but they don't want to risk playing on the turf?  

They probably wouldn't, but I think it's moot point anyway. I can't imagine 'Caps' ownership shelling out the kind of money it would take for a "name" signing.

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

They probably wouldn't, but I think it's moot point anyway. I can't imagine 'Caps' ownership shelling out the kind of money it would take for a "name" signing.

Which is really sad.  There is a really good fan base here, who support the club.  I remember the old Caps of the NASL.  We had Ball, Hector, and Wee Willie.  Those guys were great to watch.  We played on turf then too - old Empire - but (I guess?) those guys EPL days were done, and they didn't make a lot of money in those days.  Too bad we didn't get that waterfront stadium built, when that was proposed.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2018 at 1:11 PM, g_bassi13 said:

I feel management has been rudderless, and half adding it for years. Seeing some major changes in the way the team operates would maybe get me back into the fold as I already checked out on them 2 years or so back.

Ownership spending some real money on acquiring talent (management can't do that while offering two for one vouchers at assorted dining places instead of actual cash to get players to sign here) will have a greater impact than who is working 'upstairs'.

Ottawa Senators type ownership will lead to predictable results on the pitch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

I don't really understand the use of the #StandWithMDS tag. It makes it seem like some huge tragedy happened, or the team has a terminal disease. 

On second thought maybe it's fitting. 

Not sure if it's "terminal", but it's definitely in need of a few rounds of Chemo....

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure if it's "terminal", but it's definitely in need of a few rounds of Chemo....

Agreed that they need to cut the cancerous characters out of the room. Great that the guy speaks four languages (Spanish being one of them) will help make sure there isn’t as much as a divide like there was. But like NewbieCanucksFan said, cant do much if ownership doesn’t either. Great to have a Canadian coach in this market, let’s see if we give him/the team the tools to succeed. Otherwise it’s the same $%!+ just a different pile.

Oh yeah, give him full autonomy as well Bobby, hands off!

8F26335D-02EF-42CE-B7EF-D993EC423258.gif

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 1

So congrats to MDS.

Unfortunately, the only message I heard from both Mallett and Lenarduzzi was that they're not changing their spend-thrift ways and that MDS and Lenarduzzi will spend the money that's there more efficiently.

Yeah, granted that the salary structure Robbo had in place was stupid (Brek Shea made $1MM) and a joke so I'm sure they can gain efficiencies there. But be prepared for the same old same old Whitecap fans.  That means no stars or star level players.

So that leaves MDS's new attacking system to try and keep the team competitive. And for that you need quality. Oh, did I mention we just lost our best player.

Welcome MDS. And good luck.  You'll need it.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

So congrats to MDS.

Unfortunately, the only message I heard from both Mallett and Lenarduzzi was that they're not changing their spend-thrift ways and that MDS and Lenarduzzi will spend the money that's there more efficiently.

Yeah, granted that the salary structure Robbo had in place was stupid (Brek Shea made $1MM) and a joke so I'm sure they can gain efficiencies there. But be prepared for the same old same old Whitecap fans.  That means no stars or star level players.

So that leaves MDS's new attacking system to try and keep the team competitive. And for that you need quality. Oh, did I mention we just lost our best player.

Welcome MDS. And good luck.  You'll need it.

I was disappointed to hear on the starting lineup today from Rick Dhaliwal, saying just as you said that they are spending the money firstly on the academy and the team (whatever that means) but not on player personal on the top of the list. 

So yeah, sounds like they are hoping to strike lightning twice and finding another diamond in the rough just like how we found Davis. I will say that will never happen again (if I’m wrong then I will be the first to admit it) and it’s just frustrating that it sounds like status quo going forward. I hope MDS well but hard to do anything with bird seed budget. Carry on I guess Bobby and co...

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

nothing is gonna change

extra funds from davies will not be used in a manner obvious to the fan base

they will give fans a new coach

some different players

and hope something clicks to excite the fan base

otherwise they'll just count their money and say little

It’s bewildering that ownership and management think that the fans will keep coming back. You would think they would be closer to the pulse and hear the farcry from fans as to what we want. But again we are just the fans that hold the money they wish to count. Perhaps they won’t get it until there isn’t any money to count.

I’ll make sure my money goes to the Alien and not to this team until the real culture changes (management and ownership spending)

D2C42C44-D318-4933-99CD-7B14F0C1B3F9.gif

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

It’s bewildering that ownership and management think that the fans will keep coming back. You would think they would be closer to the pulse and hear the farcry from fans as to what we want. But again we are just the fans that hold the money they wish to count. Perhaps they won’t get it until there isn’t any money to count.

I’ll make sure my money goes to the Alien and not to this team until the real culture changes (management and ownership spending)

D2C42C44-D318-4933-99CD-7B14F0C1B3F9.gif

i think that you assume the basis for them operating an actual team is that it earns money for them

or that they are keenly interested in developing a very competitive team

i am beginning to believe that as a member/partner of mls, they are required to field a team

but they cannot field an actual money making team without taking on major salary risks

they do not want those risks

so they choose to run a team as close to break even as they can

without any significant risks being taken on

and simply earn their real money from expansion fees, increase in the franchise's value, and the bump they got from selling davies

that is the real revenue source

but to be eligible for that they have to field a team as well

it's similar to how some mlb owners operate their teams

they have a huge television contract that earns them oodles of cash

and they run a (barebones) team to be eligible to claim that cash

a team that is not designed to win or be very competitive

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i think that you assume the basis for them operating an actual team is that it earns money for them

or that they are keenly interested in developing a very competitive team

i am beginning to believe that as a member/partner of mls, they are required to field a team

but they cannot field an actual money making team without taking on major salary risks

they do not want those risks

so they choose to run a team as close to break even as they can

without any significant risks being taken on

and simply earn their real money from expansion fees, increase in the franchise's value, and the bump they got from selling davies

that is the real revenue source

but to be eligible for that they have to field a team as well

it's similar to how some mlb owners operate their teams

they have a huge television contract that earns them oodles of cash

and they run a (barebones) team to be eligible to claim that cash

a team that is not designed to win or be very competitive

Humbling points given there. And I understand that ownership is not in the business to lose money with their investment. But it’s the fans that lose in this regard where it’s the same song and dance, fans won’t keep “buying in” and investing in the team and therefore the team will be losing gate,merchandise  revenue in the process. Sometimes when you are in the sporting business you have to take the losses to get the gains. An example is TFC *shudders* where ownership accepting to lose millions of dollars to put a winner on the pitch. Didn’t work out this year I know, but they did what was needed to bring the fans investment and interest into the team. Like you said above MLB teams and NBA teams are “OK” with just getting by with a bare bones roster and live off of the expansion money and TV deals, with the other two teams in this market doing well now (another to come in December with the Warriors coming to Rogers Arena, the fans will have other options to invest their disposable income if this ownership isn’t willing to do the same. You get what you give. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

I've resigned myself to watching yet another middling team (at best) next year, that will likely have me bouncing back and forth between hope and despair on a weekly basis, as they did this year.

I don't live in Vancouver, so boycotting games would be pointless and I'm not big on buying fan gear. (although I have a cheap WallyWorld knockoff jersey) Basically, it makes zero difference to ownership whether I watch, or not. 

I'll be tuning in as usual every week, because I'm a football fan and even if they suck, the Whitecaps are my team.

To put it in perspective, I'm a Canucks fan, a Buffalo Bills fan, a Blue Jays fan and I cheer for The Netherlands in International football.....lets just say I've gotten familiar with disappointment.

Edited by RUPERTKBD