The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Here's what the Whitecaps roster looks like heading into the offseason:

• Already under contract: Marcel de Jong - D; Jake Nerwinski - D; Kendall Waston - D; Michael Baldisimo - M; Simon Colyn - M; Felipe - M; Efrain Juarez - M; and Russell Teibert - M; Theo Bair - F; Anthony Blondell - F
  • 2019 options picked up: Sean Melvin - GK; Doneil Henry - D; Brett Levis - D; Nicolas Mezquida - M; David Norman Jr. - M; Yordy Reyna - M; Erik Hurtado - F
  • 2019 options declined: Stefan Marinovic - GK; Spencer Richey - GK; Jose Aja - D; Roberto Dominguez - D; Aaron Maund - D; Marvin Emnes - M; Aly Ghazal - M; Brek Shea - M; Myer Bevan - F
  • Out of contract: Brian Rowe - GK; Sean Franklin - D; Cristian Techera - M; Kei Kamara - F
  • Loan expired: Jordon Mutch - M

A little surprised with Marinovic and Ghazal off and Hurtado on, but not upset about it.

Edited by Bronyaur

1 hour ago, Bronyaur said:

Here's what the Whitecaps roster looks like heading into the offseason:

• Already under contract: Marcel de Jong - D; Jake Nerwinski - D; Kendall Waston - D; Michael Baldisimo - M; Simon Colyn - M; Felipe - M; Efrain Juarez - M; and Russell Teibert - M; Theo Bair - F; Anthony Blondell - F
  • 2019 options picked up: Sean Melvin - GK; Doneil Henry - D; Brett Levis - D; Nicolas Mezquida - M; David Norman Jr. - M; Yordy Reyna - M; Erik Hurtado - F
  • 2019 options declined: Stefan Marinovic - GK; Spencer Richey - GK; Jose Aja - D; Roberto Dominguez - D; Aaron Maund - D; Marvin Emnes - M; Aly Ghazal - M; Brek Shea - M; Myer Bevan - F
  • Out of contract: Brian Rowe - GK; Sean Franklin - D; Cristian Techera - M; Kei Kamara - F
  • Loan expired: Jordon Mutch - M

A little surprised with Marinovic and Ghazal off and Hurtado on, but not upset about it.

Pretty sure we can scratch Waston off the list as well. He asked to be traded and Lenarduzzi said he'd accommodate. Disappointed to see DeJong still around, TBH. He's decent at feeding the forwards, but a defensive liability, IMO. Hopefully Levis continues his progress and takes playing time away from DeJong.

What we really need is a defender to replace KW. Without his presence in the air, it will be a long season for whoever the new 'Keeper is. Unless, of course, they find a replacement with Waston's ability to win headers.

• 2 weeks later...

so i read today somewhere

that the head of the mls league

made a statement about the caps that they should start spending money on their roster

damn you know our present management is lame

when even the league brass has to point the guns at them

to prompt them to get more serious

most league top brass bend over backwards to protect their member teams

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

so i read today somewhere

that the head of the mls league

made a statement about the caps that they should start spending money on their roster

damn you know our present management is lame

when even the league brass has to point the guns at them

to prompt them to get more serious

most league top brass bend over backwards to protect their member teams

Atlanta United won MLS Cup with a team payroll of about $2.5 million more than the Whitecaps. Portland made it to MLS Cup with a team payroll of about $3 million more than the Whitecaps. You can't tell me that this organization can't come up with an extra $3 million per season to improve the quality of its roster, especially with the Davies transfer money.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2018 at 9:14 PM, UnkNuk said:

I thought the Final was a so-so game.  Best thing about it was the 70,000+ Atlanta fans in attendance.  That's great to see.

Congratulations Atlanta.

I only watched a bit of it, but I was glad to see Atlanta win. I don't want that weasel Diego Chara to win anything...

so the team just picked up a former sounders midfielder

last season they trade for an out of favour kamara

(and i really like what kamara did for the team)

the previous season their striker was an ex sounder

i guess the whitecaps really have little scouting ability of their own

except some feelers out in latin america ?
who is the last high end fresh face that made an impact on the caps

alphonso was gifted to the team, so he does not count

i don't see any change in the philosophy of this team

what have they done with the alphonso sale money

expansion fees money

extra money realized on team value increases ?

i think their pockets are bulging

On 12/8/2018 at 4:43 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why is the MLS cup on December 8th? 

Why not start the season in April and end in September and have playoffs in October? 

Does anyone care when the MLS Cup is anyway?  Maybe some in the cities playing do, but (outside of those two cities) no on cares.  

Once again the Caps won't spend big $$ on top player to replace Alphonso Davies. Another season of the same results with some new players/new coach which the fans need to continue to stay away until Bob Lenarduzzi is removed.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/vancouver-whitecaps-lose-kei-kamara-protect-11-players-from-expansion-draft

The Whitecaps will get an influx of cash from the Davies deal, but Dos Santos said he’s not looking to spend it all in one place.

“Are we looking at going in a direction of bringing in a player like (L.A. Galaxy’s Zlatan) Ibrahimovic or (Didier) Drogba when he arrived in Montreal? No. Today, no. We’re looking more at the team as a whole and that’s our concern,” he said.

“We’re not looking to invest in one marquee player right now.”

20 hours ago, coastal.view said:

so the team just picked up a former sounders midfielder

last season they trade for an out of favour kamara

(and i really like what kamara did for the team)

the previous season their striker was an ex sounder

i guess the whitecaps really have little scouting ability of their own

except some feelers out in latin america ?
who is the last high end fresh face that made an impact on the caps

alphonso was gifted to the team, so he does not count

i don't see any change in the philosophy of this team

what have they done with the alphonso sale money

expansion fees money

extra money realized on team value increases ?

i think their pockets are bulging

#1 priority in their scouting is....is the player going to cost a lot?  If so, forget about him.

Whitecaps ownership makes Melnyk look like Aquaman by comparison.  Their motto is, cheap, spend less.  

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

Sources tell me FC Cincinnati is finalizing a deal that will send an int'l spot and allocation money to Vancouver for defender Kendall Waston. Not done yet, but in the works. #MLS #FCCincy #VWFC

16 replies80 retweets198 likes

Retweet

good of the team management to alienate their team captain

fans certainly do not need or deserve any continuity to build player identification and loyalty

who is left that has served the team long term ?

we have 1 canadian midfielder who has been here from the start

they got rid of harvey and ousted last season

and replaced them with short term players that ended up being no better

it is not worth investing in this team's players

since none will be here for any notable period of time anymore

Edited by coastal.view
  • Like 1

i dont really care anymore about the whitecaps, for all i care they can fold....our management is a joke, and untill bobby gets removed, nothing will change, they have all this money, all i gotta say is they better buy some well known stars in jan, or there wont be anyone to watch them..and do u really blame the fans? no , bobby is a cheap sob and so far has made retarded trades that really dont help the team.

im not gonna join the bandwagon about boycotting the whitecaps yet, till jan when u can start using that money...if jan and beyond come and they keep wasting it on no names and players like blondell, guaranteed, there will be a outcry for bobs head and i really hope people dont waste money and keep supporting a team that has a clueless management like bob.

Atleast the canucks and bc lions are going in the right direction ...unlike the whitecaps...we basically a laughing stock on MLS ...even the other Canadian teams use money and why they always have chances to make the playoffs

• Upvote 1

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/whitecaps-trade-kendall-waston-cincinnati-2018

The Vancouver Whitecaps’ offseason clearance sale continues.

Kendall Waston has been traded to expansion side FC Cincinnati for up to $825,000 of allocation money (including $450,000 of General Allocation Money plus $300,000 of Targeted Allocation Money), plus an international roster spot.

The fee received for the Whitecaps’ captain is an MLS record amount for a defender in a single-player trade.

1 hour ago, gurn said:

The fee received for the Whitecaps’ captain is an MLS record amount for a defender in a single-player trade.

Looking forward to the Whitecaps setting an additional record for doing the least amount possible with that money. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

i dont really care anymore about the whitecaps, for all i care they can fold....our management is a joke, and untill bobby gets removed, nothing will change, they have all this money, all i gotta say is they better buy some well known stars in jan, or there wont be anyone to watch them..and do u really blame the fans? no , bobby is a cheap sob and so far has made retarded trades that really dont help the team.

im not gonna join the bandwagon about boycotting the whitecaps yet, till jan when u can start using that money...if jan and beyond come and they keep wasting it on no names and players like blondell, guaranteed, there will be a outcry for bobs head and i really hope people dont waste money and keep supporting a team that has a clueless management like bob.

Atleast the canucks and bc lions are going in the right direction ...unlike the whitecaps...we basically a laughing stock on MLS ...even the other Canadian teams use money and why they always have chances to make the playoffs

Fans pour their hard earned money and support for this team while management still thinks it’s in the NASL. Perhaps we should be relegated back into it until we have a proper leader, shaker and mover in charge. I hate to have apathy in our hometown team but sadly it’s come to that and I just can’t care or invest in a team that doesn’t care either. You get what you give Bob and soon enough all you’ll get is an empty stadium and your pink papers.

Edited by EP Phone Home