The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

38 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

I like the Hwang signing. Sounding like Dos Santos still isn't done yet.

hope not

we need to see the complete roster

so can assess how they really have done

and what holes still remain

also need to see what sort of money they have really spent

paying for player transfers on young players is more like calculated investments

if they select well they can move those players on for a profit

need to see what the salary values are this season

Edited by coastal.view

25 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

hope not

we need to see the complete roster

so can assess how they really have done

and what holes still remain

also need to see what sort of money they have really spent

paying for player transfers on young players is more like calculated investments

if they select well they can move those players on for a profit

need to see what the salary values are this season

Sure. Then again it's not our job to look at how much money was spent and what the player salaries are. As fans we should just care about the product on the field vs the business side. We're not the experts.

2 hours ago, buddyguy said:

I like the Hwang signing. Sounding like Dos Santos still isn't done yet.

Yeah, Hwang is an exciting prospect. If he adjusts well to MLS, he should be a very good player for VWFC. And could end up sold to a European side in a few years for a significant profit.

MDS almost certainly isn’t done. Still need to add two strikers, with Blondell leaving and the Kolbeinn transfer rumour not panning out. At least one of the two new strikers will hopefully end up being a significant acquisition. Definitely some exciting names in the rumour mill (although there’s likely some pipe dream factor to them), with Sardar Azmoun and Vincent Janssen being two high profile strikers recently linked to VWFC.

Juan Córdova (fullback) also rumoured to be heading to Vancouver, with Blondell joining Huachipato (Córdova’s club team in Chile), and the Blondell move possibly serving as a bit of a trading chip to help in acquiring Córdova.

4 hours ago, buddyguy said:

Sure. Then again it's not our job to look at how much money was spent and what the player salaries are. As fans we should just care about the product on the field vs the business side. We're not the experts.

i don't agree

they want us to buy tickets

they made representations about what would happen with money from the davies transfer

i'm monitoring that issue

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i don't agree

they want us to buy tickets

they made representations about what would happen with money from the davies transfer

i'm monitoring that issue

Can we get top players here, even if we are willing to spend the (transfer) money to do so?  I think the top players are older, and done their top league careers, right?  Maybe those older guys don’t want to risk serious injury playing on our fake grass?  IMO, we stay a crappy bottom feeder team (even on a low level league) until we get a proper pitch for the players.  Plus, as fans the game is so much better to watch, when played on grass.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

And from the rugby crowd that uses the same turf:

um no

i have played on many artificial grass surfaces

and on the previous bc place turf on concrete (it was horrible)

but not on the present bc place field

i have never encountered an artificial turf field

that did not cause my joints to ache and my body to hurt

significantly more then any game i played on a natural grass field

if i was an elite soccer player

i would not want to play all my home games on turf

get real people . this is not a silly issue

it is real for the elite soccer players

do you know the distance they run during every game ?

it's not like other sports played on fields

Edited by coastal.view
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/27/2019 at 12:48 PM, buddyguy said:

Whitecaps ownership though doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt with respect to spending money on the team.  I hope I'm wrong but echo coast.views' that it's tough to get behind a team with any player that turns out to be good will likely just get "sold" for a tidy profit without that money being all put back into the team.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, coastal.view said:

um no

i have played on many artificial grass surfaces

and on the previous bc place turf on concrete (it was horrible)

but not on the present bc place field

i have never encountered an artificial turf field

that did not cause my joints to ache and my body to hurt

significantly more then any game i played on a natural grass field

if i was an elite soccer player

i would not want to play all my home games on turf

get real people . this is not a silly issue

it is real for the elite soccer players

do you know the distance they run during every game ?

it's not like other sports played on fields

Agreed 100%, and if turf isn’t as bad as people say it is. Then why oh why haven’t we been able to lure the star power that the fans deserve to support? Is it cheap ownership or the turf or both. I’m going with both. Turf is not good on anyone’s legs compared to grass and until we ever get some actual players and not a bunch of quick transfer window plugs to fill a roster I will not believe what MDS says to counter this debate. Turf doesn’t do this team any favours when it comes to bringing in grade A talent and our owners spending doesn’t help the cause either, hell the MLS commish has to slam ownership for it! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Agreed 100%, and if turf isn’t as bad as people say it is. Then why oh why haven’t we been able to lure the star power that the fans deserve to support? Is it cheap ownership or the turf or both. I’m going with both. Turf is not good on anyone’s legs compared to grass and until we ever get some actual players and not a bunch of quick transfer window plugs to fill a roster I will not believe what MDS says to counter this debate. Turf doesn’t do this team any favours when it comes to bringing in grade A talent and our owners spending doesn’t help the cause either, hell the MLS commish has to slam ownership for it! 

Exactly.  And if Astro turf was so great then why does FIFA insist games are played on grass?  Why do the top Euro leagues play on grass?  Does the NHL play on fake ice?  

Horgan was an athlete.  I’m sure he understands that our soccer team needs a real field.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Does the NHL play on fake ice?  

In a sense, yes. NHL ice is not just frozen water

https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink4.htm

"The type of water also can change conditions. For example, ice made with water that contains dissolved alkaline salts may have a sticky feel to it and will dull skate blades. To counteract these problems, many rinks -- including the Raleigh arena -- use water purifiers or add chemical conditioners to tap water."

Seattle, Portland, and Atlanta have all recently won MLS Cup with turf fields. It might not help attract star players, but it's possible to build a championship team in spite of it. If you want reasons why this team hasn't been able to reach that level of competitiveness, look squarely at the management group.

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Seattle, Portland, and Atlanta have all recently won MLS Cup with turf fields. It might not help attract star players, but it's possible to build a championship team in spite of it. If you want reasons why this team hasn't been able to reach that level of competitiveness, look squarely at the management group.

What do those results say about the quality of soccer needed to win in the MLS?  I don’t see this league surviving.  

• Wat 1

16 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

What in the **** are TFC doing??? Looks like a full blown rebuild to me

Pleasure watching Giovinco for a few years..Fan of TFC or not..thats the type of talent this league consistently needs

"Giovinco, who turned 32 on Jan. 26, was entering the last year of a contract that paid him an MLS-best US$7.115 million last season. He made almost $28.5 million from Toronto in his four seasons here.

TFC had a club option for a sixth year in 2020 but opted not to exercise it, believing it was above "market value" given Giovinco’s age."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfc-president-disappointed-giovincos-parting-words-transfer/

Wouldn't be surprised if TFC comes in with another star.

And speaking of departing stars:

"Long reported and expected, now finally official: Atlanta United have sold Miguel Almiron to Newcastle in a groundbreaking transfer, the club announced Thursday. The specific fee was not released by the clubs, though it's been heavily reported to be $27 million and ATL confirmed that the amount sets a new MLS record for an outgoing transfer."

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/01/31/miguel-almiron-completes-record-transfer-atlanta-newcastle

That amount beats the one the Whitecaps got for Davies.