The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Almost every goal scored by our strikers have been due to fine service. In general, without good service, goals will be difficult to produce. Sure for his goals, it didn't require any serious physical battles, but he knows his limitations and is finding the right places to be to be tied as our leading scorer. I think his second goal showed his ability to get in the tough areas and getting a header for a guy his size should not be ignored. I agree that there has been some great passes for these goals, but not everyone has the killer instinct after receiving the passes.

Look at Hassli's goals, none have been a result of using his large size. His first two were off nice feeds to give him basically wide open tap ins. His third goal was a result of Camilo's work to draw the penalty in the box (dive or not is another debate).

While Camilo has been up front, especially in the SKC game, it allowed him to be first on the ball and use his creativity to get into the box and make plays. Pushing him back into the middle could work, but I have no problem with his role right now. Although, my only complaint is his diving is getting to be a bit much.

Shouldn't you generally mark the opposing team's DP? It's like leaving Peter Crouch unattended. Sooner or later, he'll find the back of the net.

2 of Hassli's goals came via questionable/non existant marking from TFC. There's no way that Harris and Hassli should've been able to run free through TFC's half for Hassli's 2nd.

While it would be nice to have a Drogba type striker, I don't think the Whitecaps need it, especially with guys like Teibert and Chiumiento who can attack from the midfield. Having said that, I'd keep Camilo as a forward, however, having seen what Camilo can do with the ball at his feet, I'm not debating that at all, I think it might be more effective if you have Hassli as the furthest upfield and have Camilo slot in between the midfield and Hassli, allowing Camilo the freedom to start a run and have Hassli as an outlet.

I think Camilo, Hassli and Salgado should all start. And have Harris come off the bench. For the life of me, I don't understand why Harris is still starting. He's going to surpass his goal production (I think his most is 3 all year, wasn't it?) eventually this year, but Camilo has been just as productive and he's coming off the bench. You usually start your best players, correct? I think Camilo deserves to start with Hassli and Salgado. Salgado should be given opportunities to learn the MLS game, and he's going to get his share of goals this year. Having him AND another big body, in Hassli, is a bonus for the 'Caps.

On another note. Demerit just cannot keep healthy. Is he a go for Chivas this Sat?

Shouldn't you generally mark the opposing team's DP? It's like leaving Peter Crouch unattended. Sooner or later, he'll find the back of the net.

2 of Hassli's goals came via questionable/non existant marking from TFC. There's no way that Harris and Hassli should've been able to run free through TFC's half for Hassli's 2nd.

While it would be nice to have a Drogba type striker, I don't think the Whitecaps need it, especially with guys like Teibert and Chiumiento who can attack from the midfield. Having said that, I'd keep Camilo as a forward, however, having seen what Camilo can do with the ball at his feet, I'm not debating that at all, I think it might be more effective if you have Hassli as the furthest upfield and have Camilo slot in between the midfield and Hassli, allowing Camilo the freedom to start a run and have Hassli as an outlet.

My whole point in the response is that Camilo is able to handle himself even with his smaller stature. I wouldn't mind trying him where you suggest, but he is handling himself just fine as a striker.

I think Camilo, Hassli and Salgado should all start. And have Harris come off the bench. For the life of me, I don't understand why Harris is still starting. He's going to surpass his goal production (I think his most is 3 all year, wasn't it?) eventually this year, but Camilo has been just as productive and he's coming off the bench. You usually start your best players, correct? I think Camilo deserves to start with Hassli and Salgado. Salgado should be given opportunities to learn the MLS game, and he's going to get his share of goals this year. Having him AND another big body, in Hassli, is a bonus for the 'Caps.

On another note. Demerit just cannot keep healthy. Is he a go for Chivas this Sat?

If Camilo is successful off the bench, then why change that? Sometimes its strategy to put players who are more effective as subs later on, such as Khalfan.

I like Salgado and think he has great potential, but he's only 17 years old. Maybe he becomes a star quickly, maybe he doesn't. Right now we have capable strikers on a team who has scored the most goals in the league so far. There's no need to rush him in. With that said though, if he can prove he's worthy of starts, then I'd love to see him succeed early in his career.

As for DeMerit, they rushed him back too early and now he has suffered a set back. I doubt he'll be ready for Chivas.

I don't know why people are complaining about Harris. He has two goals, maybe not the prettiest, but he has been in the right place at the right time. He's tied for 2nd in assists and tied for the lead for GWG. Even on Camilo's goal against Houston, he put in a good effort to keep himself onside. Sometimes what he does when he doesn't have the ball is a big factor as well. I agree Harris has made some frustrating plays, but he's hardly been the one to blame on a team that has had pretty good offense so far. Not the first time CDC singles out one player for absolutely no reason though.

The only thing I could single out Harris for is fitness. In the draw against the Revs, he looked gassed around the 80th minute. How I am willing to cut him a break as the caps played a pretty long stretch 2 men down. But there were other players that were showing more spark.

Who else "Liked" WhitecapsFC on Facebook?

I can't believe the number of douches on there knocking the friendly between the Caps and Man City. Either it should be ManU or "This is a major announcment?"

frack that crap, the Caps got a Major EPL team that is in good form to want to come to Vancouver. The STH's should be on there knees and the rest of the public given a pro-rated season ticket is 1/4 of what a SINGLE international friendly is. Under $300 you get over 20 games still plus the Man City match and 2 NCC matches.

I am so sick of the ass hatted douche bags in Vancouver that crap on EVERYTHING and then wonder why we lose the Indy, PGA and AAA Baseball. I don't count the Grizzlies cause they were a scam from day 1. I saw it but Big Fatty Pratt didn't.

As a 1st year MLS team, the Caps and execs are over the moon to get an EPL team but it seems not all the fans are. Perhaps a Div. 2 SPL team is more their speed?

F@ck off Vancouver!!!!! Other than the Giants, the Whitecaps are the most family affordable fun there is to be had in this town. And they put on a good show. They have shown they can compete against long standing MLS teams and the fans are outstanding. I have gone to Swangard before, but when both Lagerhog and I went to the game against the Rev's in the South bleachers with the Southsiders, I said to him this can be habit forming. I only had 2 beers the whole match and found myself jumping on a bleacher that I swear is permanently bowed now.

UP THE WHITECAPS!

• Upvote 2

<br />Who else &quot;Liked&quot; WhitecapsFC on Facebook?<br /><br />I can't believe the number of douches on there knocking the friendly between the Caps and Man City. Either it should be ManU or &quot;This is a major announcment?&quot;<br /><br />frack that crap, the Caps got a Major EPL team that is in good form to want to come to Vancouver. The STH's should be on there knees and the rest of the public given a pro-rated season ticket is 1/4 of what a SINGLE international friendly is. Under $300 you get over 20 games still plus the Man City match and 2 NCC matches.<br /><br />I am so sick of the ass hatted douche bags in Vancouver that crap on EVERYTHING and then wonder why we lose the Indy, PGA and AAA Baseball. I don't count the Grizzlies cause they were a scam from day 1. I saw it but Big Fatty Pratt didn't.<br /><br />As a 1st year MLS team, the Caps and execs are over the moon to get an EPL team but it seems not all the fans are. Perhaps a Div. 2 SPL team is more their speed?<br /><br />F@ck off Vancouver!!!!! Other than the Giants, the Whitecaps are the most family affordable fun there is to be had in this town. And they put on a good show. They have shown they can compete against long standing MLS teams and the fans are outstanding. I have gone to Swangard before, but when both Lagerhog and I went to the game against the Rev's in the South bleachers with the Southsiders, I said to him this can be habit forming. I only had 2 beers the whole match and found myself jumping on a bleacher that I swear is permanently bowed now.<br /><br />UP THE WHITECAPS!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

People who are complaining aren't fans of the whitecaps or soccer. They will not know until they experience the atmosphere but they decide to beat a dead horse.

canuck tickets= overpriced, atmosphere corrupted by suits who are there just to be say they were there

Lions= 6 team domestic league can only grow so much albeit affordable

The only thing I could single out Harris for is fitness. In the draw against the Revs, he looked gassed around the 80th minute. How I am willing to cut him a break as the caps played a pretty long stretch 2 men down. But there were other players that were showing more spark.

I thought Harris played really well in 2nd half that game considering the situation. I don't think fitness was the issue. He had to run a lot more when Hassli got those bogus yellows.

Now, could it be Thordarson prefers to go with Harris up front because he's a bit more responsible? As exciting as Camilo and Hassli are they do have the tendency to be reckless. I don't mind Harris despite the fact he may be less of a scoring threat than the other strikers. I think he makes up for it by playing the safe game.

I did not know this but according to his player page, Harris is a cousin of Micah Richards. Neat. - http://whitecapsfc.com/player/atiba-harris

Who else "Liked" WhitecapsFC on Facebook?

I can't believe the number of douches on there knocking the friendly between the Caps and Man City. Either it should be ManU or "This is a major announcment?"

frack that crap, the Caps got a Major EPL team that is in good form to want to come to Vancouver. The STH's should be on there knees and the rest of the public given a pro-rated season ticket is 1/4 of what a SINGLE international friendly is. Under $300 you get over 20 games still plus the Man City match and 2 NCC matches.

I am so sick of the ass hatted douche bags in Vancouver that crap on EVERYTHING and then wonder why we lose the Indy, PGA and AAA Baseball. I don't count the Grizzlies cause they were a scam from day 1. I saw it but Big Fatty Pratt didn't.

As a 1st year MLS team, the Caps and execs are over the moon to get an EPL team but it seems not all the fans are. Perhaps a Div. 2 SPL team is more their speed?

F@ck off Vancouver!!!!! Other than the Giants, the Whitecaps are the most family affordable fun there is to be had in this town. And they put on a good show. They have shown they can compete against long standing MLS teams and the fans are outstanding. I have gone to Swangard before, but when both Lagerhog and I went to the game against the Rev's in the South bleachers with the Southsiders, I said to him this can be habit forming. I only had 2 beers the whole match and found myself jumping on a bleacher that I swear is permanently bowed now.

UP THE WHITECAPS!

It's probably because Seattle actually did get ManU that we feel like we're being treated as second fiddle.

I guess it could be argued though, that by actually being in MLS for two more years longer than the Caps and having so many people show up to their games, they've actually earned it.

Couldn't care less about an exhibition game against a european team, even if it is an EPL regular.

Agreed. They're probably going to play "nice" to the local audience by throwing the game anyways, or at least just tie to save themselves embarrassment.

Edited by Buggernut

I think Portland majorly out-did us in their opener. Not saying our was poor or anything, but they were far better and more organized.

This would never happen in...America? :huh:

I thought Americans were supposed to be a buncha sawker hatin' rednecks. That looked like a scene straight out of an EPL match.

Man United was in Seattle and faced Celtic FC in 2003, like 5 years before Sounders FC came to fruition. I was there.

The problem is, to most North Americans, Man City is Manchester's "other team." They have no recent Champions League titles to their name, or Premier League titles for that matter. To the Southsiders and other avid soccer fans, Man City is a big deal, however, it's not a big deal enough for me to clamour for season tickets. I was expecting the first English side to be in Vancouver, would be Tottenham Hotspurs.

I liken this city's overall interest to name recognition. Mile wide and an inch deep. If the best Man City can do is Carlos Tevez and Gareth Berry, you can understand why local interest can be measured as tepid. Having said that, how many of their season ticket holders (outside of the Southsiders) would pay an inflated price to see a side that some have never even heard of?

They'll probably get United, Barca or another European giant, possibly as early as after Euro 2012. Then again, that'll be a weakened side as most of the Euro powerhouses are loaded with international starters.

The reason Seattle gets big name draws is they sell out. The Sounders played Barcelona for an exhibition match and sold out at 66,848 people.

Hopefully when the Whitecaps move to BC Place, we can keep the good atmosphere and when it opens we can bring in bigger names ourselves.

I'm just proud of our fans for averaging almost 20,000 per game to start our season. If I was the BC Lions, I'd be a little worried, and watching what the Whitecaps does, because It think their marketing is a lot better. And it's appealing to a broader range of fans.

The reason Seattle gets big name draws is they sell out. The Sounders played Barcelona for an exhibition match and sold out at 66,848 people.

Hopefully when the Whitecaps move to BC Place, we can keep the good atmosphere and when it opens we can bring in bigger names ourselves.

I'm just proud of our fans for averaging almost 20,000 per game to start our season. If I was the BC Lions, I'd be a little worried, and watching what the Whitecaps does, because It think their marketing is a lot better. And it's appealing to a broader range of fans.

The Whitecaps are averaging 20,000+ fans a game while the Canucks are in the playoffs, which is pretty amazing in itself. I only expect the team to get more publicity and hype in the summer.

• Upvote 1