The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Whitecaps 4 NE 3

Weird game.

Funny how one play can change the whole game. The take-down of Miller in the penalty box turned what looked like a laugher for NE into an eventual win for the Caps. Have to say, though, that I think that a penalty shot AND a red card for one foul is a bit much. Give the player a yellow if you're going to give the penalty shot.

Terrific game by Miller.

It's a win, but it's still not a win that fills you with confidence. The Caps, even with the extra man, were scrambling at the end. That game could easily have ended in a draw.

Once again, the Caps seemed to lose their offensive direction entering the second half with a goal lead. I'm tempted to blame Rennie for that, but he seemed to want the team to keep on the offensive - look at the subs he made in the second half. Maybe the team just starts playing defensively on its own.

But it *is* a win, for all that, and a needed 3 points.

Have to say, though, that I think that a penalty shot AND a red card for one foul is a bit much. Give the player a yellow if you're going to give the penalty shot.

When a player has a clear run on goal and is 1 on 1 with the keeper and is fouled, then its a automatic red card, regardless of whether it was inside the box or not. On that play, Miller clearly beat both central defenders and was in on goal.

When a player has a clear run on goal and is 1 on 1 with the keeper and is fouled, then its a automatic red card, regardless of whether it was inside the box or not. On that play, Miller clearly beat both central defenders and was in on goal.

You're right. And the ref made the correct call.

But I think the rule should be changed. A penalty shot and a red card strikes me as too harsh for one foul.

It's like in hockey - if a player has a break on net and an opposing player takes him down, either a penalty shot OR a two minute penalty is assessed depending on how clear cut the breakaway was. But not both.

If the penalty takes place outside the box, give the offending player a red.

If the penalty takes place inside the box, give the offending player a yellow and give the penalty shot.

And one other thing while I'm thinking of it:

I don't think we need in-game interviews with the coach. It seems pointless to me, other than showing what a nuisance media people can be. I can wait for the intermission or post-game to hear what Rennie thinks of Miller's play. Let the coach coach and don't bother him.

Vancouver 3 Chivas 1

Okay, granted it was only Chivas. But a 3 - 1 win is a 3 -1 win. And three points in the standings are three points in the standings. Which are good enough to get the Caps, for the time being, into a playoff position.

Nice win.

new keeper!

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/06/vwfc-add-ousted

Looks good, but thats easy to do with a small highlite pack. I heard that this guy should be considerably better than knighton or cannon. Should be interesting.

alos not sure who will be on the outs. Cannon makes much more than knighton, but knighton would be much easier to move.

I've never heard of Ousted.

I think there are more important positions that they could have chosen to upgrade. The organisation as a whole doesn't seem to have a clue of which direction it's wanting to head in.

Well Cannon was done after this season anyways, so it was probably best to give this guy a head start who looks like an upgrade. Vancouver has struggled giving up goals so it's not that bad of a move.

What was more important position to upgrade? I doubt ousted is making more then 200k

Upgrading Davidson and an eventual replacement/backup for YP Lee may still be addressed.

I've never heard of Ousted.

I think there are more important positions that they could have chosen to upgrade. The organisation as a whole doesn't seem to have a clue of which direction it's wanting to head in.

What are the chances of Whitecaps signing a goalkeeper we've heard of? Isn't Cudicini the only GK who's come over from Europe who's notable? I was unimpressed with both Cannon and Knighton. Hopefully Ousted is an upgrade.

We do need to add a CB, a fullback to back up YPL and Harvey.

What are the chances of Whitecaps signing a goalkeeper we've heard of? Isn't Cudicini the only GK who's come over from Europe who's notable? I was unimpressed with both Cannon and Knighton. Hopefully Ousted is an upgrade.

We do need to add a CB, a fullback to back up YPL and Harvey.

Personally, I don't think Rennie needs another, if we already have enough in O'Brien, Rusin, Leveron, Mitchell and not to mention DeMerit. Complete logjam once everybody's healthy.

Edited by _-_-_

[quote name=_-_-_' timestamp='1372490359' post='11483566]

Personally, I don't think Rennie needs another, if we already have enough in O'Brien, Rusin, Leveron, Mitchell and not to mention DeMerit. Complete logjam once everybody's healthy.