1920 replies to this topic

#61 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,615 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

I think Bell should do more for the Whitecaps in stores. I was walking around Richmond Centre today and they have a Bell store and a kiosk. It would be nice to see whitecaps stuff in the stores or kiosk. I don't necessarily mean selling kits, but maybe have stuff on the walls like posters or pictures.

#62 Tenacious

Tenacious

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

New center back added: Mouloud Akloul

http://www.whitecaps...ouloud-akloul-0

Akloul, 28, joins Whitecaps FC's MLS roster after coming through a frustrating 2010 season with the Blue and White. After initially joining the club for last year's USSF D-2 Pro League campaign on April 8, the native of Lorient, France, suffered a fracture to his left ankle after scoring the match winner in his Vancouver debut on April 24, as the 'Caps defeated Athletic Club of St. Louis 1-0. Though the injury restricted the defender to just two appearances for the club last season, Akloul has since recovered to be become part of Vancouver's inaugural MLS season.

Posted Image

#63 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

New center back added: Mouloud Akloul

http://www.whitecaps...ouloud-akloul-0

Akloul, 28, joins Whitecaps FC's MLS roster after coming through a frustrating 2010 season with the Blue and White. After initially joining the club for last year's USSF D-2 Pro League campaign on April 8, the native of Lorient, France, suffered a fracture to his left ankle after scoring the match winner in his Vancouver debut on April 24, as the 'Caps defeated Athletic Club of St. Louis 1-0. Though the injury restricted the defender to just two appearances for the club last season, Akloul has since recovered to be become part of Vancouver's inaugural MLS season.

Akloul will form an excellent tandem with Demerit. Demerit is more of a hard-nosed d-man, whereas Akloul is a little more dynamic and can really push the ball forward even from the CB position. Really excited to see him in the line-up soon.

It'll be nice when the CB's are healthy and you have a guy with the quality of Janicki as your back-up.
Posted Image

#64 Los-Canaks

Los-Canaks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

You're talking about Barcelona CF

There's some soccer club that puts on UNICEF from the front.

Corporate sponsorship helps pay off expenses.

The soccer club wearing UNICEF is currently having financial difficulties...

It seems inevitable.

#65 Los-Canaks

Los-Canaks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:52 AM

For those who are "soccer rookies"...

Soccer clubs the world over have had corporate logos on their jerseys for a long long time.. In fact when a team does not have a jersey sponsor,
they are seen as not really a pro team.. Such as the whitecaps when they were in USL last year, they did not have a jersey sponsor. To die hard soccer
fans, not only here but to the rest of the world,.. not having a sponsor logo looks kind of amature, because it means you aren't a big enough team to get a sponsor.

As a soccer fan myself for a long time, that's how I see it now.. To me a club jersey is almost incomplete without a sponsor.

To a soccer newbie/rookie, this might seem wierd at 1st,.. Just like to a soccer fan going to a 1st hockey game would find it really wierd how they have to
interrupt the play of a hockey game just for commercials on tv. Doesn't make sense to a hockey fan rookie,.. just like it doesn't make sense to a soccer fan
rookie, that there are sponsor logos on soccer kits.

Here's a termanology guide for you:

Other Sports play on a Field / Soccer is played on a pitch
Hockey has goaltenders, goalies / soccer has goalkeepers, keepers
Hockey has forwards / Soccer has midfielders & strikers
Hockey has defencemen / Soccer has left back, center back, right back
Hockey has a farm team / Soccer has a reserve league
Hockey has a penalty shot / Soccer has a penalty kick or simply a "penalty"
Hockey has a national team appearance / Soccer has a "cap"
Hockey wingers pass the puck to the slot / Soccer wingers cross/center the ball into the box
Hockey has opening faceoff / Soccer has kickoff
Hockey leagues have games / Soccer leagues have matches
Hockey Goalies have a crease / Soccer keepers have a penalty area
Hockey & Soccer both have: Hat Tricks / Shots / Shooting on net / Shutouts
Hockey gives 2 points for a win / Soccer gives 3 points for a win
Hockey fights happen on the ice / Soccer fights happen in the stands
Hockey fans only chant when the team scores / Soccer fans chant non-stop for 90 minutes.

I don't want to look like I work for BELL.
;)

And if BELL ends their sponsorship with Whitecaps...then it will really look dumb.

#66 tylenol

tylenol

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:55 AM

Hockey & Soccer both have: Hat Tricks / Shots / Shooting on net / Shutouts

You mean clean sheets ;)
Rooney

#67 Los-Canaks

Los-Canaks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:57 AM

Totally agree with you...

I was thinking the same thing... Its great marketing cuz everytime I see 'Bell" I think Whitecaps,.. and vice versa..

R.

I think Bell should do more for the Whitecaps in stores. I was walking around Richmond Centre today and they have a Bell store and a kiosk. It would be nice to see whitecaps stuff in the stores or kiosk. I don't necessarily mean selling kits, but maybe have stuff on the walls like posters or pictures.

#68 Los-Canaks

Los-Canaks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

Haa. Yes,.. you got me on that one. Clean Sheet for shutout.

You mean clean sheets ;)

#69 ChelseaFC

ChelseaFC

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:07 PM

I just checked the team site, no update yet. Anybody here got any whiff on whether DeMerit will play on Saturday?
Thats a secret between me and the puck!
Roberto Luongo commenting on the save he made with his face

#70 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

I just checked the team site, no update yet. Anybody here got any whiff on whether DeMerit will play on Saturday?

Demerit and Chiumiento are "doubtful" according to Marc Weber and "questionable" according to the Whitecaps officials that John Molinaro spoke to.
Posted Image

#71 Tenacious

Tenacious

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'd probably say he won't play, based on what's been released. Playing with a groin injury is tough in soccer and the last thing we want is for him to fully injure it. We have enough injuries to worry about right now.

This is all purely my speculation though...

Posted Image

#72 _Kick_Save_

_Kick_Save_

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

It says that you can download the caps to FIFA 11. I saw it on the boards behind nolly. Anyone know how to do this?
Posted Image

#73 Killa

Killa

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

It says that you can download the caps to FIFA 11. I saw it on the boards behind nolly. Anyone know how to do this?

Check the gameday thread, I posted it there

#74 Canuck_4_Life

Canuck_4_Life

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

Another difference:
hockey : give-and-go
soccer: 1-2

Onto the sponsorship thing, one year, Real Madrid's own website was their "sponsor" I know, because I bought a Figo jersey, and on the front it said "RealMadrid.com" and for a while Barcelona had nothing.

It seems as though Chiumiento is the straw that stirs the Whitecaps drink.........
QUOTE(Canucks.com Admin)
If your signature has more lines than the majority of your posts, it's too big.

#75 Rinslet

Rinslet

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:14 AM

To those looking for Whitecaps highlights, a la CanucksHD, there is now WhitecapsHD on Youtube.

#76 Tenacious

Tenacious

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,976 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:50 AM

To those looking for Whitecaps highlights, a la CanucksHD, there is now WhitecapsHD on Youtube.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up.

I have never been more excited for a regular season goal than I was when Camillo put in the 3rd goal yesterday... wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf_EHpgWDvY&feature=channel_video_title

Posted Image

#77 Hax

Hax

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:58 AM

I'm so pumped about the 'caps being in the MLS it makes me want to move to Van from Vic. <$400 for season's tickets? Yes, pl0x.

That said, as a first-time-actually-paying-attention-to-every-game-fan, it looks like we've actually got a lot of firepower up front which should make for interesting matches (and jersey options, though it's hard not to just get a Chiumiento thus far).

#78 ChelseaFC

ChelseaFC

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:45 PM

My link

Camilo named MLS Player of the Week

Major League Soccer announced today that Vancouver Whitecaps FC striker Camilo has been named the league's Player of the Week for Week Three. The Brazilian attacker earned the weekly award as voted on by North American Soccer Reporters (NASR).

Making his first start in MLS on Saturday, the 22-year-old made himself an instant Whitecaps FC hero with two goals and one assist to earn a 3-3 draw with Sporting Kansas City at Empire Field.

The South American's first two goals for the Blue and White were all the more dramatic after Vancouver needed to come from three goals down to earn a point on the Pacific National Exhibition grounds in East Vancouver, having done so in the most thrilling of styles.

Trailing 3-1 to Sporting KC in five minutes of time added on at the end of the second half, Camilo scored his first goal for the club from a Davide Chiumiento pass before scoring the equalizer with a brilliant far-post header from Nizar Khalfan's well-executed cross for the 3-3 result.

Congrats! It's like every time he touched the ball, you knew he was dangerous and was going to do something special.
Thats a secret between me and the puck!
Roberto Luongo commenting on the save he made with his face

#79 Gnickers87

Gnickers87

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,441 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Yes it's early, but a forward group consisting of Hassli, Harris, Salgado and Camilo should be able to keep the Whitecaps consistently potting goals. Early predictions have Hassli/Camilo starting Wednesday against New England, but I'm not sure if I agree. Harris's athleticism and ball-winning capabilities are very important to our offense.

I do think the Whitecaps could use another central attacking midfield though, or another right midfielder so that you can push Chiumiento inside. I like Dunfield and he delivered a nice ball to Chiumiento on the 2nd goal, but I want to see little more offensive flair from that spot. The team struggled against KC in consistently moving the ball before Chiumiento/Khaflan were subbed on and I think Wagner really struggled at LM.

Also, it looks to me like Khalfan is more suited to the subs role and it also allows his pace to become more of an advantage. He's too inconsistent off the ball at this point to be a starter.

Edited by Gnickers87, 04 April 2011 - 03:01 PM.

Posted Image

#80 dank.

dank.

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

great video with carl valentine at the game

Posted Image

#81 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,615 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

Is that actually CanucksHD under a different name?

#82 Deigler

Deigler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

When is Salgado available to play?

Thanks C.M

#83 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:16 PM

I'm thinking of going to the game on Wednesday.

For people that have been to Empire, are you allowed to bring an SLR camera in? My biggest lens is a 55-200mm lens so nothing gigantic. I havn't had issues at Giants or Canucks games and I have seen SLRs at Lions games. But different league/team different rules I guess. Wouldn't want to get there to have them tell me to put it back in my car.

EDIT: To limit the threat of someone telling me to Google it:

CAMERA AND VIDEO EQUIPMENT
Camera with a lens less than 6’’ are allowed in the stadium. Professional cameras and video recorders are not permitted at Empire Field during Whitecaps matches.

Glad they spelled it out. The WHL policy is no "pro cameras" with no definition of what that is in terms of lens size. I should be fine with me 55-200mm

Edited by old_time_hockey, 04 April 2011 - 09:22 PM.

Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#84 Canuck_4_Life

Canuck_4_Life

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

When is Salgado available to play?

He's with the American U-20 team, so I believe he'll join the team in time for their away game vs Houston on the 16th.

Edited by Canuck_4_Life, 04 April 2011 - 11:11 PM.

QUOTE(Canucks.com Admin)
If your signature has more lines than the majority of your posts, it's too big.

#85 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:05 PM

What's special about Omar Salgado?
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#86 JoeyBats

JoeyBats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

What's special about Omar Salgado?

1st overall pick.

View PostR.Luongo.1, on 10 October 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

Your stupid
Your dum

#87 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

1st overall pick.

Duh?
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#88 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:34 AM

He's with the American U-20 team, so I believe he'll join the team in time for their away game vs Houston on the 16th.

Houston on the 10th (Away)

Chivas on the 16th (Home)
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#89 bolt

bolt

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'm thinking of going to the game on Wednesday.

For people that have been to Empire, are you allowed to bring an SLR camera in? My biggest lens is a 55-200mm lens so nothing gigantic. I havn't had issues at Giants or Canucks games and I have seen SLRs at Lions games. But different league/team different rules I guess. Wouldn't want to get there to have them tell me to put it back in my car.

EDIT: To limit the threat of someone telling me to Google it:

Glad they spelled it out. The WHL policy is no "pro cameras" with no definition of what that is in terms of lens size. I should be fine with me 55-200mm

Just Make sure your buy a whitecaps scarf before the game starts, they just add to the experience for some reason.

#90 miketraz

miketraz

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

The scarves are by far the best piece of apparel for Whitecaps matches. Theyre fun to hold up when they score. Also the striped home jersey is awesome.

Guitar is Life!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.