2518 replies to this topic

#991 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

ugh according to Jays twitter he played the full 90 because the guy who was to play the 2nd half was hurt. It is an All Star game, they simply can bring other players?

He went to the ASG b/c he is the best defensive player in the league, and because of that it is unlikely be able to play on Friday.

#992 ripsh0w

ripsh0w

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Yes, it is very frustrating that Demerit played a full 90. But this just shows us that we need another CB, preferably one who can play at the full back positions too.

Posted Image

#993 Perchew

Perchew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

ugh according to Jays twitter he played the full 90 because the guy who was to play the 2nd half was hurt. It is an All Star game, they simply can bring other players?

He went to the ASG b/c he is the best defensive player in the league, and because of that it is unlikely be able to play on Friday.

Why wouldn't he play? Every single game we've played in July has been 3 or 4 days apart. Even if he is dead tired for some reason after a days rest from a non-competitive game, Rochat can easily fill in in the middle and Harvey take the left. The combination of Robson, Koffie, and Davidson in the midfield helping out defensively has probably taken a lot of workload off the defenders.

Playing one of the better teams in the league you can really only hope for the best anyways! :lol:

#994 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Why wouldn't he play? Every single game we've played in July has been 3 or 4 days apart. Even if he is dead tired for some reason after a days rest from a non-competitive game, Rochat can easily fill in in the middle and Harvey take the left. The combination of Robson, Koffie, and Davidson in the midfield helping out defensively has probably taken a lot of workload off the defenders.

Playing one of the better teams in the league you can really only hope for the best anyways! :lol:

Jay may look like Superman sometimes on the pitch, but 2 days off, and a plane ride thrown in there will wear anyone out.

#995 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Jay may look like Superman sometimes on the pitch, but 2 days off, and a plane ride thrown in there will wear anyone out.

Don't professional hockey players do exactly this for 6+ months? Not to mention the sport hockey players play is more physical and wears you down more. Jay should easily be able to play.

#996 SN -Admin

SN -Admin

Keeping it real

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Don't professional hockey players do exactly this for 6+ months? Not to mention the sport hockey players play is more physical and wears you down more. Jay should easily be able to play.

Hockey's more physical, but there's also more padding and less actual time played.

Running with high-intensity bursts for 90 minutes with essentially no protection in a game where there still is some physical contact is quite wearing,

#997 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Haha, try running and jumping for 90+ minutes. And during those 90minutes, falling down hard and getting back up dozens of times.It's gonna wear your body down.

#998 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,159 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

I can barely play soccer for 45 minutes, I can't imagine playing 90.
Posted Image

#999 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Lenarduzzi said DeMerit has a calf contusion from ASG and is still questionable for tonight's game.
Source:news1130sports

Fuuuuu

Edit: Jay will play today.

Edited by ckamo, 27 July 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#1000 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,887 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Haha, try running and jumping for 90+ minutes. And during those 90minutes, falling down hard and getting back up dozens of times.It's gonna wear your body down.

Hmmm....if falling down was that hard on the body, you wouldn't think thet there'd be so many players doing it on purpose....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#1001 Hamhuis Hipcheck

Hamhuis Hipcheck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hmmm....if falling down was that hard on the body, you wouldn't think thet there'd be so many players doing it on purpose....

It's all about strategy. You're willing to risk your body for the greater of your team.
It's like in hockey. Those who are more physical, that hit, fight, etc, tend to decline faster than those who are more finesse type players.

Lenarduzzi said DeMerit has a calf contusion from ASG and is still questionable for tonight's game.
Source:news1130sports

Fuuuuu

Edit: Jay will play today.

It's a contusion. It's not that big of a deal. If he didn't play today's game, he'd most likely play next game.

Edited by Hamhuis Hipcheck, 27 July 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#1002 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

The average soccer midfielder runs over 7 miles, or around 11-11.5 kilometres in a single match. Centrebacks come in at the lowest (discounting goalkeepers) and they still run about 6.25-6.5 miles a match.

While hockey is definitely a more physical game, most players only spend about 15-18 minutes on the ice, and you can glide. I'm not saying hockey isn't a physically taxing game, anyone who's watched and played the game knows this, but I think most people have no idea how physically taxing a soccer game can be.

In addition to the distance run, you're jumping, getting kicked, clipped, shoulder charged, and fouled all over the place. While the contact isn't at the level of a hockey hit, the nature of the way soccer is played is that you end up the ground a lot because fouls occur mostly against your legs.

Edited by Jai604, 28 July 2012 - 06:29 AM.

RIP LB RR PD

#1003 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

'Caps made some big mistakes, but the Ref made bigger mistakes.

#1004 Wh!stler R!der

Wh!stler R!der

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

'Caps made some big mistakes, but the Ref made bigger mistakes.

like that weak call on JD for the PK was frustrating to see. Nice to see the conversation of Jay and Barry talking about the bad call.
This city deserves a championship. This is the best era in Canucks history, keep bleeding blue n green always!
Win it for Ripper, Luc and Demo.

#1005 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

Caps have added D Andy O'Brien. http://ow.ly/cF4zA

#1006 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Caps have added D Andy O'Brien. http://ow.ly/cF4zA

Solid signing.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#1007 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

...Though I really hope this isn't a DP signing. If it is, it's not such a solid pick up.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#1008 KevinB

KevinB

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Not sure where O'Brien fits in here. Jay and Bonjour have been solid together all season, not sure why Rennie wants to break them up. I was hoping for a holding midfielder or something along those lines to be our next signing. But, you can never have enough depth I guess.

#1009 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

He's not a DP. But Totally looks like DP. :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#1010 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Not sure where O'Brien fits in here. Jay and Bonjour have been solid together all season, not sure why Rennie wants to break them up. I was hoping for a holding midfielder or something along those lines to be our next signing. But, you can never have enough depth I guess.

It is an improvement on Bonjour, but this move will ensure no more late breakdowns, because they are both tired, and no one is good enough to sub for them.

#1011 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Moved to 'Caps on a free. Will take up an International spot.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

#1012 Perchew

Perchew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the acquisition of Tiago Ulisses - pending receipt of his Visa. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“Tiago is a young and promising holding midfielder. He is strong on the ball and a solid tackler,” said Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie. “The addition of Tiago offers us more depth in midfield and a player that we feel will do well in Major League Soccer.”

Whitecaps FC midfielder Tiago Ulisses
- Fifteen league appearances for Botafogo Futebol Clube in the 2012 Brazilian Série A1
- Scored one goal in 11 appearances for Esporte Clube Noroeste in the 2011 Brazilian Série A2
- Spent seven years with Brazilian giants Sport Club Corinthians Paulista

Ulisses, 23, comes to Whitecaps FC after making 15 appearances in 2012 for Botafogo Futebol Clube, who play in Série A1 of the Campeonato Paulista, which is the top division in the Brazilian state of São Paulo. In 2011, Ulisses scored one goal in 11 appearances for Esporte Clube Noroeste in the second-tier Campeonato Paulista Série A2.

http://www.whitecaps.../08/wfc-ulisses

Whitecaps add another young midfielder. I know pretty much nothing about this guy other than what's in the video, and he looks to be a hard working defensive midfielder. nothing wrong with adding young players that have potential.

Edited by Perchew, 03 August 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#1013 ckamo

ckamo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Well Rennie (or was it Lenarduzzi?) did say we would be adding 1 or 2 players by the end of the week. I can't wait to see these new guys on the 11th.

#1014 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Suddenly the 'Caps have a ton of depth. This teams new style is a lot more exciting than even just a month ago.

#1015 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I hope Tiago is a depth signing. Koffie has looked really good this year, especially since Robson arrived.

If it ain't broke...

#1016 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

I hope Tiago is a depth signing. Koffie has looked really good this year, especially since Robson arrived.

If it ain't broke...

I don't think he's here to replace Koffie. Looks to me he plays more of the Defensive Midfielder or Holding Mid role. I'd say he's more likely Davidson's replacement.

JMD has had some decent games and played well at times, but there's no doubt our midfield could use more depth. Davidson's not bad, but I would be excited if this Brazilian kid is better, and he definitely looks to be a lot faster and an aggressive tackler. While taht is a small highlight package, he seems to be an upgrade over JMD on the ground for sure. Davidson is quite a bit taller though.

RIP LB RR PD

#1017 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

These are depth moves. Too many times this year we have had late defensive breakdowns simply because our guys were tired and there was no one on the bench to replaces guys like Bonjour or Koffie.

#1018 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:39 PM

These are depth moves. Too many times this year we have had late defensive breakdowns simply because our guys were tired and there was no one on the bench to replaces guys like Bonjour or Koffie.

Yeah, that's what it looks to be. Depth signing to give Davidson a rest every now and then.

RIP LB RR PD

#1019 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#1020 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

WTF is this, WeatherWise? :lol:

I don't see the connection to the 'Caps thread! Fill me in, dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.