2048 replies to this topic

#1231 Killa

Killa

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

The Whitecaps designated the north end as a family zone and moved all the supporters groups into the south end. That's a big reason for the north being so quiet

#1232 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I hear you. Even though I live closer as the crow flies, I'm even farther away by road. I wouldn't be able to afford to go to Canuck games, but I'd be at as many 'Caps and Lions games as I could....

That's a bit of the problem, they average close to sell outs for weekend games, but only around 18k for weekday games. Too much of their fans are coming from the suburbs

People want to blame the fan base, but with out good advertising a lot of people have never even been to a game in this city.

It's 100% the marketing staffs fault only one side of the arena is fun to sit in (only allowing support groups on one side) they run the pre game tailgate till 5 minutes AFTER kick off (usually no one outside even knows the game has started), and they used their entire budget on print ads (print is a dying form of media). Put ads on TV, and before Youtube videos. It's NOT rocket science.

#1233 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

The Whitecaps designated the north end as a family zone and moved all the supporters groups into the south end. That's a big reason for the north being so quiet

Are all those families who are going dressing up as empty seats? Their family end is 4x bigger than anyone else's. There should be a family end, but it should not take up 4,000 seats.

Seattle averages around 40k/game, and have a family section of 700 seats.

Cut the family section in half. There would be a tunnel separating a support group and the families.

#1234 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Um, no. The supporters have been in the South side (hence the name Southsiders) since the Swanguard days on the bleachers. The Southsiders were founded in 1999.

They designated the North end of the stadium the family section because it was furthest away from the rowdy supporters groups, as well as being cheaper than center-field seats, making it more affordable for families.

Edited by Jai604, 08 October 2012 - 06:03 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#1235 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:36 PM

Um, no. The supporters have been in the South side (hence the name Southsiders) since the Swanguard days on the bleachers. The Southsiders were founded in 1999.

They designated the North end of the stadium the family section because it was furthest away from the rowdy supporters groups, as well as being cheaper than center-field seats, making it more affordable for families.

There was a (smaller) support group in the north end last year, the marketing staff would not let them renew their season tickets unless they either relocated or disbanded.

Yes that's right the marketing staff refused 50 people season tickets in the north end, when it is often 1/2 empty. These are the people running the franchise's business operations.

#1236 Killa

Killa

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

There are other smaller supporters groups. This year they decided that only the south end would be used as a supporters section

Edited by Killa, 08 October 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#1237 Hobbes!!!

Hobbes!!!

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,986 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

I went to 5 games w my dad and some with my mom this season. They would absolutely not go if people in the north end were standing all game and blocking any of their view.

#1238 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

I went to 5 games w my dad and some with my mom this season. They would absolutely not go if people in the north end were standing all game and blocking any of their view.

Half of the family end can still easily exist. There is a tunnel that separates the endzone seats into two parts. Obviously if people really loved sitting in the north end it would be sold out every game.

The Whitecaps demographic should not be your parents, but 18-40 year old's anyways.

If the majority of people felt the way you do the southside would not be sold out every game, and the north end would not be half empty every game.

Soccer runs and breaths on support groups. Support groups = more season ticket holders.

#1239 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

There are other smaller supporters groups. This year they decided that only the south end would be used as a supporters section

Yes and because of this decision attendance is actually down this season, despite a better team and a downtown location.

Attendance is actually up in ALL sections but the northend in the arena by a small amount from last year, but down 34% in the north end.

Edited by Kamero89, 09 October 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#1240 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

All of you guys will be supporting Scotland, obviously. You don't have a choice in the matter.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1241 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

There was a (smaller) support group in the north end last year, the marketing staff would not let them renew their season tickets unless they either relocated or disbanded.

Yes that's right the marketing staff refused 50 people season tickets in the north end, when it is often 1/2 empty. These are the people running the franchise's business operations.

Ah, I didn't know that's what you meant.

Really, that is seriously screwed up. No idea what the front office is thinking. The North End is a deadzone.

RIP LB RR PD

#1242 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

The highest rated game this year, beats any Lions regular season game on TV in the last 2 years (granted 1/2 the games were blacked out).

Team 1040 has done a fairly good job, but the papers can def be better. Local ratings for games are among some of the best in the league.

The Whitecaps have to do better with marketing though. One print ad a week, and youtube videos are not good enough. You have to create excitement. This team has yet to ever have one TV ad. All sell outs, and the hype surrounding them have been created by the fans and the media, not the team.

You have a link.? I find that hard to believe. CFL numbers blow the MLS out of the water. Whitecaps are averaging 80k on SN and 149K on TSN. The highest game was season opener against montreal at 541k. TSN+RDS combined as far as i can tell. Lions average 800k.

http://www.vancouver...4550/story.html

#1243 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

You have a link.? I find that hard to believe. CFL numbers blow the MLS out of the water. Whitecaps are averaging 80k on SN and 149K on TSN. The highest game was season opener against montreal at 541k. TSN+RDS combined as far as i can tell. Lions average 800k.

http://www.vancouver...4550/story.html

Not my point at all. I don't care about CFL ratings this is a Whitecaps thread. Even if I am wrong, it has NOTHING to do with my point.

#1244 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:26 AM

Ah, I didn't know that's what you meant.

Really, that is seriously screwed up. No idea what the front office is thinking. The North End is a deadzone.

Blame Britany Nicholson (Manager of Fan relations. bnicholson@whitecapsfc.com) and Rachel Lewis (Marketing Dept. RLewis@whitecapsfc.com)

Those two, and the entire marketing staff were hired with ZERO sports marketing experience. Sports marketing is so different than regular marketing that a lot of schools offer "Sports Marketing" as a separate major.

Getting fans in seats is different than running a bank. Which is wear they hired most of their staff.

I named those two specifically because of everyone I talked to, those were the two to say 'you can't have a support group in the north end', 'the north end is a more preferred place to sit', and 'our pre game tail gate does not prevent people from getting to their seats on time'. They once ran the pre game tail gate 5 minutes into game time.

These two can be "middle men" for all I know, I am just getting sick of people outside the actual managing of the team, being so disrespectful towards the fans.

I am trying to put my own support group in HALF the north end away from the families. It would be PG (no swearing and cursing). Would really help if you guys could email them (respectfully) to implore them to allow a north end support group.

Edited by Kamero89, 14 October 2012 - 01:29 AM.

#1245 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Not my point at all. I don't care about CFL ratings this is a Whitecaps thread. Even if I am wrong, it has NOTHING to do with my point.

LOL defensive much. I haven't read this entire thread so i don't know nor do i care what your "point" is about. Your the one that commented on the tv ratings and im simply showing your statement that the Whitecaps top the Lions in viewership couldn't be further from the truth.

#1246 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Just to make my point, the Whtiecaps are coming up on their biggest game in their history, and have any of you seen or heard an ad for this game, at all? Outside of their daily print ad in the Province, they have done NOTHING in terms radio pre Youtube video or TV ads.

Portland and Seattle run a few hundred ads on TV and pre Youtube videos a week, and neither team has ever NOT had a sell out .

You have to advertise to get people to go. All the current advertising is done by the fans.

Even the Canucks understand marketing better than these clowns. "Love this team, love this game" "We are all Canucks" were great ads, that got people into the team more.

#1247 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Just to make my point, the Whtiecaps are coming up on their biggest game in their history, and have any of you seen or heard an ad for this game, at all? Outside of their daily print ad in the Province, they have done NOTHING in terms radio pre Youtube video or TV ads.

I agree with what you're saying about the press for the Timbers game. But not so much about "history".

Actually, just looking for an excuse to post this. Biggest game IMO because it's against the Cosmos and because of the shoot-out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPO1bfdgiiM&feature=related
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#1248 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Are games usually this scrappy?

Also, what's up with the turf? Is it not supposed to be green? Artificial?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1249 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

It's artificial, Scottish. Long blades of plastic grass kept level by rubber pellets. The non-greenness comes from the paint from the Lions football lines which are removed and re-painted before and after every Lions game. It kind of looks like a terrible pitch in Central America or the Carribean.

As for the scrappiness, yes, they are always this scrappy. The technical abilities of MLS players are nowhere near other "major" leagues. Also, playing on artificial turf cause the ball to bounce much more than on real grass.

7 minutes to go and Vancouver doesn't look like scoring. Where's the desperation? Dallas Seattle game is on TV tonight after this one. Go Sounders!

Edited by Hugemanskost, 21 October 2012 - 05:50 PM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#1250 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Being a Celtic fan I'm used to seeing scrappy games, but this has been pretty awful.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1251 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,781 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

My observations based on this game:

1) Why the insistence on playing the long ball? It was clear it wasn't working in the first half. Far too much possession wasted by booting it up the pitch.

2) Why not have a go at them on the wing? I saw no effort to get it to anyone out wide to try and beat the defender down the wing.

3) Koffie might be strong when in possession, but he's a terribly sloppy passer of the ball.

4) Camillo did nothing of note to help the team and Miller was as poor as he is for Scotland. Robson wasn't very good either.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#1252 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

My observations based on this game:

1) Why the insistence on playing the long ball? It was clear it wasn't working in the first half. Far too much possession wasted by booting it up the pitch.

2) Why not have a go at them on the wing? I saw no effort to get it to anyone out wide to try and beat the defender down the wing.

3) Koffie might be strong when in possession, but he's a terribly sloppy passer of the ball.

4) Camillo did nothing of note to help the team and Miller was as poor as he is for Scotland. Robson wasn't very good either.

Astute observations, Scottish. My thoughts exactly.

The 'Caps play like English / Scottish football of the 70's... Hammer the diagonal long ball and hope to get in behind.

The gaps between 'Caps players is always huge, too. No support on the ball. Players are always left isolated and when the defensive shape shifts to the ball, there are no options available to the attacker. Dane Richards is a very speedy wide player, but, his head hasn't been in it since he agreed to play with Burnley a couple of months ago. What a shame.

Miller has been a giant turd of a signing. Absolutely useless. Robson has been good all year, but not great.

It says a lot about your club when its MVP is a 35 year old Right Back!

#1253 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

80%+ of total teams goals happened when we had: Hassli, Chummy, and Le Toux.

Why in the effing world would Rennie think that blowing up a 3rd place team would benefit the club?!

#1254 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

I agree with what you're saying about the press for the Timbers game. But not so much about "history".

Actually, just looking for an excuse to post this. Biggest game IMO because it's against the Cosmos and because of the shoot-out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPO1bfdgiiM&feature=related

I meant since their re-birth. Obviously Soccer Bowl 79 was bigger.

#1255 PuckDrop

PuckDrop

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

If the game today is typical of the type of play the Whitecaps produce then you can count me as someone who will not watch many or any more games. They had something like 2 weeks to prepare for this game and this feeble effort is all they could muster? What were they doing on the practice pitch the last two weeks because it doesn't look like they were working on their game.

I don't know if this is on coaching or motivation or lack of execution but my mother's bridge club could have put up a better effort today. Some key players should be held accountable for their inaction today and at the top of my list is Barry Robson. Is this guy playing out the string so he can go back to Scotland as soon as possible? He was the worst of a bad bunch today but the whole team looked flat and disinterested.

And disinterested is how I'm left feeling about the Whitecaps. Damn I miss hockey.

#1256 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

...the whole team looked flat and disinterested.

This says it all right here, PuckDrop. You hit the nail on the head.

In the second half, when the 'Caps actually had some possession in the Timber's half, they would walk back when they lost possession. Robson... Miller... Camillo... pathetic! Also, since the Mid-season purge of Chumiento, Hasseli and Le Toux, the 'Caps seem to be second to every ball, on the ground and in the air. I can't think of an instance tonight where the 'Caps won an attacking header or beat a Timber's player to a 50-50 ball. Once again, pathetic.

A completely pathetic, lackluster effort in the franchise's biggest game since their return to top flight North American footy.

Sad thing is, I still love 'em! Just like I will never stop cheering for the Canucks after 41 years of futility, i will always support the 'Caps despite their troubles.

Go, 'Caps, go! And go, Sounders. 1-1 at the half.

#1257 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,505 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

If you can't beat the worst road team in the league at home in the biggest game in your mls history you don't deserve to make the playoffs IMO.. which is looking good at this time for the caps. too bad. LA will likely blow them out anyway.

#1258 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

I miss Hassli.

I would rather pay to go watch the semi-entertaining losing team of last year than this garbage. Yeah blowing up a 3rd place team was a great idea. Bringing Robson in reminds me of when the Canucks got Mark Messier- players past their prime who still wanna be captains.

I think it's time for Lenarduzzi to go. Enough pandering.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#1259 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

And not opening up the upper bowl for the Galaxy game was a bone headed move.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#1260 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

2-1 Sounders in the dying minutes of their match against FC Dallas. The game is on TSN2.

Edited by WeatherWise, 21 October 2012 - 07:51 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.