The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Hmmm....if falling down was that hard on the body, you wouldn't think thet there'd be so many players doing it on purpose....

It's all about strategy. You're willing to risk your body for the greater of your team.

It's like in hockey. Those who are more physical, that hit, fight, etc, tend to decline faster than those who are more finesse type players.

Lenarduzzi said DeMerit has a calf contusion from ASG and is still questionable for tonight's game.

Source:news1130sports

Fuuuuu

Edit: Jay will play today.

It's a contusion. It's not that big of a deal. If he didn't play today's game, he'd most likely play next game.

Edited by Hamhuis Hipcheck

Don't professional hockey players do exactly this for 6+ months? Not to mention the sport hockey players play is more physical and wears you down more. Jay should easily be able to play.

The average soccer midfielder runs over 7 miles, or around 11-11.5 kilometres in a single match. Centrebacks come in at the lowest (discounting goalkeepers) and they still run about 6.25-6.5 miles a match.

While hockey is definitely a more physical game, most players only spend about 15-18 minutes on the ice, and you can glide. I'm not saying hockey isn't a physically taxing game, anyone who's watched and played the game knows this, but I think most people have no idea how physically taxing a soccer game can be.

In addition to the distance run, you're jumping, getting kicked, clipped, shoulder charged, and fouled all over the place. While the contact isn't at the level of a hockey hit, the nature of the way soccer is played is that you end up the ground a lot because fouls occur mostly against your legs.

Edited by Jai604
  • Upvote 3

Not sure where O'Brien fits in here. Jay and Bonjour have been solid together all season, not sure why Rennie wants to break them up. I was hoping for a holding midfielder or something along those lines to be our next signing. But, you can never have enough depth I guess.

Not sure where O'Brien fits in here. Jay and Bonjour have been solid together all season, not sure why Rennie wants to break them up. I was hoping for a holding midfielder or something along those lines to be our next signing. But, you can never have enough depth I guess.

It is an improvement on Bonjour, but this move will ensure no more late breakdowns, because they are both tired, and no one is good enough to sub for them.

VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today the acquisition of Tiago Ulisses - pending receipt of his Visa. Per Major League Soccer and club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

“Tiago is a young and promising holding midfielder. He is strong on the ball and a solid tackler,” said Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie. “The addition of Tiago offers us more depth in midfield and a player that we feel will do well in Major League Soccer.”

Whitecaps FC midfielder Tiago Ulisses

- Fifteen league appearances for Botafogo Futebol Clube in the 2012 Brazilian Série A1

- Scored one goal in 11 appearances for Esporte Clube Noroeste in the 2011 Brazilian Série A2

- Spent seven years with Brazilian giants Sport Club Corinthians Paulista

Ulisses, 23, comes to Whitecaps FC after making 15 appearances in 2012 for Botafogo Futebol Clube, who play in Série A1 of the Campeonato Paulista, which is the top division in the Brazilian state of São Paulo. In 2011, Ulisses scored one goal in 11 appearances for Esporte Clube Noroeste in the second-tier Campeonato Paulista Série A2.

http://www.whitecaps.../08/wfc-ulisses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEQr6tBMnaM&feature=player_embedded

Whitecaps add another young midfielder. I know pretty much nothing about this guy other than what's in the video, and he looks to be a hard working defensive midfielder. nothing wrong with adding young players that have potential.

Edited by Perchew

I hope Tiago is a depth signing. Koffie has looked really good this year, especially since Robson arrived.

If it ain't broke...

:towel::canucks:

I don't think he's here to replace Koffie. Looks to me he plays more of the Defensive Midfielder or Holding Mid role. I'd say he's more likely Davidson's replacement.

JMD has had some decent games and played well at times, but there's no doubt our midfield could use more depth. Davidson's not bad, but I would be excited if this Brazilian kid is better, and he definitely looks to be a lot faster and an aggressive tackler. While taht is a small highlight package, he seems to be an upgrade over JMD on the ground for sure. Davidson is quite a bit taller though.

These are depth moves. Too many times this year we have had late defensive breakdowns simply because our guys were tired and there was no one on the bench to replaces guys like Bonjour or Koffie.

Yeah, that's what it looks to be. Depth signing to give Davidson a rest every now and then.