The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

He ran about 15-20k in 65 min of action. Having him as our loan striker, was asking a bit much. He needed support.

Don't expect support from anyone on this team. Rennie has no idea how offense works. Other than Mattocks, this team doesn't have a legitimate striker among themselves. Very difficult to watch a team that can't control the ball and expect anything otherwise. Hopefully by next season the Scottish connection will be a memory.

That was the 'Caps game plan though.

Bad game plan or not aside, that was NOT a PK.

Giant coincidence LA, and NY have the most PKs this year, and have the most fouls their favor. Not saying the MLS tells refs to make them win, but their star power is clearly intimidating refs.

Caps had ONE PK all year. 6 teams had more in one game alone this season. How is this fair?

To play devil's advocate a little, the 'Caps are not really an attacking team. They rarely threaten in the box, have very few shots, few goals, terrible possession, and few true strikers. You're never going to get PK chances if you're never aggressive in the box.

It is no surprise of the result, the team has been imploding after all the changes around mid-season. Where improvements must be made are clear, this team desperately needs more offense. The Scottish experiment has been a complete bust, end it.

Making the playoffs was nice, although if you look how badly this team has crashed since the early part of the season, this team really isn't very good at all.

• Upvote 2

It is no surprise of the result, the team has been imploding after all the changes around mid-season. Where improvements must be made are clear, this team desperately needs more offense. The Scottish experiment has been a complete bust, end it.

Making the playoffs was nice, although if you look how badly this team has crashed since the early part of the season, this team really isn't very good at all.

Hard to argue with any of your points.

Caps won 3 games in the 2nd half of the season. Which marks when we traded/transferred Chummy, Hassli, and Le Toux.

• 1 month later...

Whitecaps deal Harris to Rapids for roster spot:

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Whitecaps have traded striker Atiba Harris to the Colorado Rapids in exchange for an international roster spot.

Harris, 27, joined the Whitecaps after being selected in the second-round (fourth overall) of the 2010 MLS Expansion Draft.

In two seasons with Vancouver, the native of Basseterre, Saint Kitts and Nevis, scored two goals and added three assists in 12 MLS regular season appearances.

"We are thankful for the contributions Atiba made during his two years in Vancouver and wish him all the best with Colorado," Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi said in a statement. "Atiba scored a memorable goal during our inaugural match and although his time on the pitch was limited because of injuries, he was always a great ambassador for the club."

The Whitecaps have 11 international roster spots through the 2013 season and 10 international roster spots through the 2016 season.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=410889&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the Whitecaps will re acquire Davide Chiumento. He tweeted on the 10th that he was on his way back to Vancouver. Also a few of the guys who cover the 'Caps have tweeted hints that he is coming back as well.

This is awesome. He only played 1/2 a season this year, and 2/3rds of the 'Caps total goals came from when he was with the team. There was clearly a drop off when he was transferred. He is a much better passer for the strikers than Robson

It looks like the Whitecaps will re acquire Davide Chiumento. He tweeted on the 10th that he was on his way back to Vancouver. Also a few of the guys who cover the 'Caps have tweeted hints that he is coming back as well.

This is awesome. He only played 1/2 a season this year, and 2/3rds of the 'Caps total goals came from when he was with the team. There was clearly a drop off when he was transferred. He is a much better passer for the strikers than Robson

Yeah. I heard this on Global this morning. Seems Chiumi is on his way back. Great news! Hopefully, there will be enough bal and enough playing time for both Chiumi and Robson.

Woo hoo! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah. I heard this on Global this morning. Seems Chiumi is on his way back. Great news! Hopefully, there will be enough bal and enough playing time for both Chiumi and Robson.

Woo hoo! :lol:

With Richards and Thorington gone we needed that tricky mid fielder back. Don't forget Koffe, midfield is getting more offensive minus Richards.

Richard's pace is going to be missed. Thing is, he kind of packed it in after it was announced that he was moving to Burnley. Great right after the trade, inconsistent and seemingly disinterested after. Good riddance.

Chiumi on the right, Robson on the left and Koffie holding in a 5-man, diamond midfield might be interesting. Who would play wide, though? Maybe Teibert wide left? Richards would be perfect, wide right, but he's gone. You need to find a place for Camilo. Would he work wide right?

Back line, l to r, of Rochat, Demerit, O' Brien and Lee. Mattocks up front. Knighton in goal.

Looks like a solid 11, no?

Whitecaps players heading to Newtown, CT:

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – A few of the Vancouver Whitecaps players are flying to Newtown, Connecticut today to put on a soccer clinic for those affected by last month’s shooting massacre.

Up to 40 players from across the MLS are taking part.

“It’s certainly one of the most tragic events I’ve ever seen in my lifetime or heard about,” says Whitecaps goalkeeper Brad Knighton.

Knighton says bringing the beautiful game to a community that has been so devastated was the least he and the players could do.

“It’s one of those things where it was a no-brainer. Once they sent the email, I probably responded within two seconds of getting the email. It was not even the thought of whether if I could make it, it was a matter of when could I get there.”

As a father, Knighton says hearing about the tragedy was unlike anything he had ever known. “To have a kid of my own and know the possibility of sending them to school and not knowing if they’re coming home, you know, that just sends chills through my body.”

Knighton will be joined by midfielder Matt Watson and striker Omar Salgado.

Players will hold a clinic and games all day Monday.

http://www.news1130.com/2013/01/06/whitecaps-players-heading-to-newtown-ct/?cid=dlvr.it

Saw Bobby Lenarduzzi on Global this morning talking about how the club is planning on bringing in some new blood. He said that he would like to sign or trade for some MLS-experienced players who are used to the travel rigours and style of play in the MLS. I tend to agree.

Can't wait to see which has-been Scots they dig up this time! :lol:

Seriously, though, what do fellow 'Caps fans see as the club's biggest needs? For me, creative midfielding (Chiumy?), speedy right side winger and another centre-back would make me feel pretty good. I'd like to say we need another striker, too, but I want to see if Salgado can actually play if given the opportunity.

What you guys think?

Saw Bobby Lenarduzzi on Global this morning talking about how the club is planning on bringing in some new blood. He said that he would like to sign or trade for some MLS-experienced players who are used to the travel rigours and style of play in the MLS. I tend to agree.

Can't wait to see which has-been Scots they dig up this time! :lol:

Seriously, though, what do fellow 'Caps fans see as the club's biggest needs? For me, creative midfielding (Chiumy?), speedy right side winger and another centre-back would make me feel pretty good. I'd like to say we need another striker, too, but I want to see if Salgado can actually play if given the opportunity.

What you guys think?

I had a feeling he was going to go for Paddy McCourt.

I think Portland have been linked with him.