The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Man and to think I was gonna get a Camillo jersey...dodged that bullet...

Real tough loss for VWFC. This pretty much kills any chance of him repping Canada internationally too eh?

Wouldn't want that goof representing Canada. He can represent Mexico. Hopefully Gershon Koffie becomes real good and reps Canada.

To reiterate on what I had posted earlier, Camilo is a massive frackhead. It's not even that he's gone, it's the way that he left. Pissed all over the team, and then ran away.

I did not want to see his face on the team this year after he began these antics, but I wish there was a way that he didn't get exactly what he wanted, because he disgusts me.

I'm still a bit confused about it all. The Whitecaps twitter account posted a series of tweets quoting Carl Robinson saying he flew to Mexico to talk with Camilo and see where he's at, but there was no mentioning of the reports that have been made about Camilo being sold already. I don't see him coming back to Vancouver after all of this, but it would be nice if the Whitecaps organization officially announced something.

Camilo only met with Robinson. He refused to meet with Lenarduzzi. I think that tells you all you need to know. Lenarduzzi is the real issue with this team. He must have disrespected Camilo in some way. Reminds me of Bure and Quinn.

Yes that's why Pat Quinn was the one that called Bure when he was inducted into the HHOF. And that's why Bure thanked Quinn at his retirement celebration in Vancouver. People need to quit getting brainwashed by our crappy media here. I'm not saying Lenarduzzi isn't a problem. He is. But that issue that Quinn shafted Bure seems to be overblown by certain reporter(s). Especially one that looks like a Cryptkeeper, and was BANNED from the Canucks dressing room.

So who do we think the caps select in the draft? I definitely think they take Andre Blake (GK) with the 3rd overall and a defender/midfielder (Eric Miller) with the 7th overall in the 1st round.

I think we'll sign Miller if he falls to 7th. We would serve as a back up RB to whoever we sign as a starter, and can play a bit of right midfield as well to cover for Reo-C. Having flexible players is really important in this league.

With the third pick I'm not sold on Blake. No doubt he would be a good player for the Whitecaps, but good North American goalkeepers are a dime a dozen in MLS, and it seems silly to have two international spots tied up on Blake and Ousted. I'd rather see if we can get an MLS starter in a trade or look at trading up for one of the 2 defenders that will go 1-2.

I'm still a bit confused about it all. The Whitecaps twitter account posted a series of tweets quoting Carl Robinson saying he flew to Mexico to talk with Camilo and see where he's at, but there was no mentioning of the reports that have been made about Camilo being sold already. I don't see him coming back to Vancouver after all of this, but it would be nice if the Whitecaps organization officially announced something.

The Whitecaps and the MLS have been frustratingly silent on this whole debacle. I'd think a little more communication is in order when the number one player and lead goal scorer in the league is embarrassingly poached by a random Mexican club. It seems like they're hoping it will all just go away.

@WhitecapsFC: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2014 @MLS #SuperDraft , #VWFC select University of California defender Christian Dean

@WhitecapsFC: With the 7th overall pick in the 2014 @MLS #SuperDraft, #VWFC select Portmore United midfielder Andre Lewis!

@WhitecapsFC: With the 30th overall pick in the @MLS #SuperDraft, #VWFC select forward Mamadou Diouf from @UConnMSOC

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-

There has been speculation that Vancouver was pushing hard to acquire the first overall pick to

get Blake the keeper out of Jamaica.

I'm guessing Vancouver offered hurtado and the third pick overall so they could make some positive splash after the Camilo problems.

Think all their picks were exceptional. Dean was projected by most to go 1st overall, Lewis has good potential and might keep Mattocks happier. Also Diouf seems like a really nice guy who is a speedy finisher and likely would have gone in the top 10 if not for some minor injuries that cost him some games last year.

Diouf and Lewis replace Heineimann and Hertzog

Dean replaces Rusin

Edited by bolt

Hard to understand how the Andre Lewis thing can happen unless there was some very dirty pool involved.

Lewis attended the 2014 Combine (Jan. 9th to 14th), which included player meetings with the clubs on the 11th and the 13th. Obviously, the player was not forthcoming about his intention to play in the NASL.

After being drafted (and, by all indications, having already having agreed to an NASL contract), Lewis makes the following statement:

“'I’m a fan of Vancouver because of Darren Mattocks,' the 19-year-old said of the Whitecaps striker and fellow Jamaican. 'I love the support that the fans give to Vancouver. I’m looking forward to starting my professional career with the Whitecaps and to just go there and work hard and do my best.'”

Yet here's what Cosmos CEO Erik Stover said about the signing (from the Goal.com article):

"'We agreed to a deal in principle with the player a while ago, and he's under contract with us now pending approval from U.S. Soccer,' Stover told Goal USA. 'We haven't made an official announcement yet since we're in the process of finalizing the terms of the developmental agreement with his club in Jamaica.'"

Just how long "a while ago" means is hard to know but it's a fair assumption that Lewis attended the 2014 MLS Combine while already committed to a deal with the Cosmos.

And to make things worse:

"What teams were apparently unaware of was the fact that Lewis had trained with the Cosmos last November, and joined the team during its tour of Spain, even appearing in a friendly. He was not under contract with the Cosmos when he attended the Combine, but after not signing with MLS during the Combine, Lewis agreed to a deal with the Cosmos some time before Thursday's MLS Draft, which he did not attend."

Now the Caps have to shoulder some blame for not being aware of the fact that Lewis had been training with the Cosmos, travelled with the team on the November tour, and even played for them in a friendly. Clearly, this is information that their scouts should have uncovered (EDIT: and should have been the focus of their questions during Combine interviews--unless they did ask Lewis about it and he directly lied about his intentions).

If the Caps were aware of these things, then they must have been given indications directly from Lewis (at the Combine interviews) that he would sign with MLS if drafted. There's no way they'd pick him at #7 if they knew he was already commited to a deal with New York.

If the Caps weren't aware (which appears to be the case), then heads need to roll on this because management/scouting clearly dropped the ball (by not uncovering this information prior to making the selection).

Especially following the Camilo fiasco, the Caps should have been extra careful in establishing clear intentions for the players on their draft list. To effectively waste a 7th overall pick is inexcusable. Of course, as the article says, other MLS drafted players have signed with other leagues but Lewis would be the highest MSL pick to ever be lost in such a manner (which is not a record Whitecaps FC wants to add to their list of organizational "credits").

That said, it also seems like Lewis might very well have been advised, likely by his representation and even possibly by New York Cosmos management, to keep his agreement in principle with the NASL club a secret and to go ahead and attend the MSL Combine (and even indicate during interviews that he was available). It's very hard to imagine how a detail like Lewis being already committed to a deal with an NASL team would fail to come-up during multiple team interviews unless Lewis was deliberately misleading the MLS teams that he spoke to during the Combine (regarding his intentions and availability).

If this is the case, the Whitecaps need to carefully examine their options as there might be cause for filing a grievance.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Hard to understand how the Andre Lewis thing can happen unless there was some very dirty pool involved.

Lewis attended the 2014 Combine (Jan. 9th to 14th), which included player meetings with the clubs on the 11th and the 13th. Obviously, the player was not forthcoming about his intention to play in the NASL.

After being drafted, Lewis makes the following statement:

“'I’m a fan of Vancouver because of Darren Mattocks,' the 19-year-old said of the Whitecaps striker and fellow Jamaican. 'I love the support that the fans give to Vancouver. I’m looking forward to starting my professional career with the Whitecaps and to just go there and work hard and do my best.'”

Yet here's what Cosmos CEO Eric Stover said about the signing (from the Goal.com article):

"'We agreed to a deal in principle with the player a while ago, and he's under contract with us now pending approval from U.S. Soccer,' Stover told Goal USA. 'We haven't made an official announcement yet since we're in the process of finalizing the terms of the developmental agreement with his club in Jamaica.'"

Just how long "a while ago" means is hard to know but it's a fair assumption that Lewis attended the 2014 MLS Combine while already committed to a deal with the Cosmos.

And to make things worse:

"What teams were apparently unaware of was the fact that Lewis had trained with the Cosmos last November, and joined the team during its tour of Spain, even appearing in a friendly. He was not under contract with the Cosmos when he attended the Combine, but after not signing with MLS during the Combine, Lewis agreed to a deal with the Cosmos some time before Thursday's MLS Draft, which he did not attend."

Now the Caps have to shoulder some blame for not being aware of the fact that Lewis had been training with the Cosmos, travelled with the team on the November tour, and even played for them in a friendly. Clearly, this is information that their scouts should have uncovered (EDIT: and should have been the focus of their questions during Combine interviews--unless they did ask Lewis about it and he directly lied about his intentions).

If the Caps were aware of these things, then they must have been given indications directly from Lewis (at the Combine interviews) that he would sign with MLS if drafted. There's no way they'd pick him at #7 if they knew he was already commited to a deal with New York.

If the Caps weren't aware (which appears to be the case), then heads need to roll on this because management/scouting clearly dropped the ball (by not uncovering this information prior to making the selection).

Especially following the Camilo fiasco, the Caps should have been extra careful in establishing clear intentions for the players on their draft list. To effectively waste a 7th overall pick is inexcusable. Of course, as the article says, other MLS drafted players have signed with other leagues but Lewis would be the highest MSL pick to ever be lost in such a manner (which is not a record Whitecaps FC wants to add to their list of organizational "credits").

That said, it also seems like Lewis might very well have been advised, likely by his representation and even possibly even by New York Cosmos management, to keep his agreement in principle with the NASL club a secret and to go ahead and attend the MSL Combine (and even indicate during interviews that he was available). It's very hard to imagine how a detail like Lewis being already committed to a deal with an NASL team would fail to come-up during multiple team interviews unless Lewis was deliberately misleading the MLS teams that he spoke to during the Combine (regarding his intentions and availability).

If this is the case, the Whitecaps need to carefully examine their options as there might be cause for filing a grievance.

Just as one dispute ends, another one begins. Finding it really hard to keep supporting this team and league.

Edited by It's a process
  • Upvote 3