The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've seen the 'Caps on the other end of so many late equalizers over the years, that I just loved yesterday's result. Fantastic strike by Cornelius and I'm a bit ashamed as a fan to say that I didn't even know who he was, when I tuned in.

For most of the match, it looked like a typical Whitecaps road game. An early deficit and very little pushback.

Then, one of Sporting's players is given a (deserved) straight red and I'm thinking "maybe there's a chance here". That hope is dashed later on, when moments after Dos Santos uses his last substitute, Danil Henry pulls a hamstring and has to leave the game. With both teams down to 10 men, I wasn't as optimistic, although the 'Caps are starting to generate some chances.

And then, in injury time, Adnan to Cornelius....:frantic:

Yup - I’m cautiously optimistic with this group. Great result for them :) 

I’m not saying they’ll challenge for the title this year, but from what I’ve seen

so far from MDS tactics and signings, the future might be bright?

29 minutes ago, Jack_T said:

I’m not saying they’ll challenge for the title this year, but from what I’ve seen

The one thing I saw that I really liked was that late in the game and down a goal, Dos Santos took Nerwinski out and put Ardaiz in. He was willing to live with dangerous counter attacks from Sporting as long as it gave the 'Caps a better chance at the equalizer.

It seems to me that in seasons past, Robbo would have held the line and hoped for the best....

• Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

The one thing I saw that I really liked was that late in the game and down a goal, Dos Santos took Nerwinski out and put Ardaiz in. He was willing to live with dangerous counter attacks from Sporting as long as it gave the 'Caps a better chance at the equalizer.

It seems to me that in seasons past, Robbo would have held the line and hoped for the best....

Agreed. Felt like we played a lot more negative football in the past. 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, Jack_T said:

Agree with you on MDS.  I like his philosophy overall about the game and as a communicator.

The future though will remain a question mark, not because of MDS, but because nothing has really changed with this ownership and management group. If anything, the way they've messed up this whole 2008 woman's Whitecaps controversy gives me even less confidence in how this team is run.

We'll find out when the next international transfer window opens up how committed this organization actually is to winning.

Whitecaps score first, totally against the run of play....if I had to guess, I'd have possession at around 80-20 for NYRB.

Full credit to Ardaiz on the goal. After a 'Caps clearance, he battled through an elbow from a defender on a contested ball. A lot of players would have gone down and looked for the free kick.

A point for the Caps yesterday was pretty huge.

I don't know how many saw the first half, but the Red Bulls completely dominated. Vancouver just packed the box and let them have at it.

Looked like Spain vs Andorra for the first 45....

Caps continue to impress these past few weeks. I really hope they are able to purchase Ali Adnan and bring in a quality box to box midfielder- a player of similar quality to Adnan. 

Fun game today. Looking forward to Friday’s :) Hopefully Henry and Adnan are healthy for it! 

In a game where neither team deserved to win a draw is appropriate, I suppose.

Still, it was too bad the Caps couldn't sneak away with the win.

It was a snoozer.  When even the commentators keep mentioning how dull the game is, you know it's a dull game.

As an old timer who followed the 1979 Whitecaps team  I was disappointed that the telecast pretty much ignored the reunion of that team.  I would've enjoyed seeing the introductions of the players who showed up for the reunion even it delayed the telecast for a few minutes.  At the very least, they could have interviewed a few of the players at half-time.  Or brought them in during the play-by-play like they did with Canada's team coach.  

On 5/31/2019 at 9:32 PM, UnkNuk said:

In a game where neither team deserved to win a draw is appropriate, I suppose.

Still, it was too bad the Caps couldn't sneak away with the win.

It was a snoozer.  When even the commentators keep mentioning how dull the game is, you know it's a dull game.

As an old timer who followed the 1979 Whitecaps team  I was disappointed that the telecast pretty much ignored the reunion of that team.  I would've enjoyed seeing the introductions of the players who showed up for the reunion even it delayed the telecast for a few minutes.  At the very least, they could have interviewed a few of the players at half-time.  Or brought them in during the play-by-play like they did with Canada's team coach.  

Yeah, would have been nice to cheer Whymark, Valentine, Hector and Ball, one last time....

.....and boo Lenarduzzi, of course...B)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sports Illustrated has an article called "MLS Ambition Rankings 2019" wherein they list team organisations in order of how badly they seem to want to win.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/06/10/mls-ambition-rankings-2019?utm_campaign=si-extra&utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

The Caps placed 16th out of the 24 MLS teams:

"If you’re running in place in MLS, circa 2019, you’re going to fall in the Ambition Rankings, and Vancouver feels like a club that’s running in place these days. The investment in youth development continues, which is good, and the choice to hire Marc Dos Santos as the new coach seems like a smart one. The player payroll is only around $11 million, though, and the failure to properly handle a case of bullying, harassment and sexually inappropriate behavior toward its women’s players in 2008 has cast a shadow over the club."

• 2 weeks later...