The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

The Impacts signs a player who has played for Barcelona and AS Roma.

A player who is just on the cusp of being on the Spanish National Team.

The Whitecaps on the other hand, signs (with all due respect) some random scrub from the the Honduran league.

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

The Impacts signs a player who has played for Barcelona and AS Roma.

A player who is just on the cusp of being on the Spanish National Team.

The Whitecaps on the other hand, signs (with all due respect) some random scrub from the the Honduran league.

This is what I've been saying for a long time. It doesn't matter who the manager is or what his "plan" is, but a small market budget is a small market budget. Problem is the rest of the league is leaving the Caps behind. 

I've actually been thinking more and more about where this all might be heading down the road. After a decade of little success, attendance starts to plummet because who wants to go see this team lose in a 70% empty cavernous stadium. Eventually owners may decide they just won't be able to get the investment return they have been for the last 10 years and they sell the team.

Hopefully they'd be local with deep pockets.  Hmmm...wonder who that could be? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

This is what I've been saying for a long time. It doesn't matter who the manager is or what his "plan" is, but a small market budget is a small market budget. Problem is the rest of the league is leaving the Caps behind. 

I've actually been thinking more and more about where this all might be heading down the road. After a decade of little success, attendance starts to plummet because who wants to go see this team lose in a 70% empty cavernous stadium. Eventually owners may decide they just won't be able to get the investment return they have been for the last 10 years and they sell the team.

Hopefully they'd be local with deep pockets.  Hmmm...wonder who that could be? 

well that is really not how the financial incentives and rewards of mls work

the real money is not made on ticket sales

caps need to field a team to be entitled to the other perks

-money brought in by mls marketing efforts

-share of mls expansion fees

-transfer fee profits from developing players

-increase in the value of the club

the team player budget is kept low to minimize this expense

with minimal regard to fans

but with regard to fulfilling ownership obligations to field an mls team (barely)

so these other pots of money can be continually accessed

that is what this mls whitecap team is really all about

• Upvote 1

caps signed ricketts , who played for toronto and team canada :(  

well we coulda had iceland striker, who is very good, but he choose to decline coming here cause of bc place turf , if we wanna bring in ex Barcelona type players, than we need natural turf, not this artificial BS

• Upvote 3

On 8/7/2019 at 10:59 PM, coastal.view said:

but with regard to fulfilling ownership obligations to field an mls team (barely)

well put, and so unfortunate.... such passionate fans the whitecaps have in the Southside section every game I go to is full of energy people standing

Here's a link to the MLS 2019 Team Guaranteed Salaries:

https://www.spotrac.com/mls/cap/

Guess who's last on the list (disregarding Nashville who don't begin playing until 2020)?

By way of comparison,  there are three teams who spend more on their forwards than the Caps do on their entire team.

I realize it's easy to demand that the owners should spend their money on the team.  And I don't expect them to spend as much as Toronto.  But last?  C'mon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

good that we were all told

that the money received for alfonzo

was going to be spent on operating the team and development

and that mls monitors this sort of thing

but there really is little need for them to do so

as we can all clearly see how that money is(n't) being used

Edited by coastal.view

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, coastal.view said:

I agree with you actually. I don't think they'll be sold anytime soon, simply because some of these large revenue streams, especially from expansion. Unfortunately means that we'll continue to see a team who's mandate is not to win it all, but to win just enough to keep fans coming to games.

Not sure how sustainable this "vision" quite honestly. There needs to be changes at the highest levels of this team, including ownership, for things to change. Otherwise what we've seen for a decade now is what we'll continue to get. 

When expansion teams are passing you by, you'd think this ownership group might notice. 

6 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

When expansion teams are passing you by, you'd think this ownership group might notice.

At this point I'm assuming they'll stick around until the league stops expanding, then sell. Minimum work for maximum profit. The only hope is that they sell to someone who actually gives a damn.

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

At this point I'm assuming they'll stick around until the league stops expanding, then sell. Minimum work for maximum profit. The only hope is that they sell to someone who actually gives a damn.

But who is rich enough locally to buy the team?  

The Aquilini's aren't really much richer.  

Vancouver's best hope is if some crazy rich guy or some huge conglomerate wishes to win for ego and will spend like it's going out of fashion.  

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2019/08/16/whitecaps-fc-hire-sporting-director-global-search-underway

VANCOUVER, BC – Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday that the club has opened an extensive global search to hire a sporting director who will lead the technical direction of the club at all levels. The sporting director will report to ownership, eliminating the role of president from the club structure.

“These are exciting times in MLS with the league growing at an unprecedented rate both on and off the pitch,” said Jeff Mallett, Whitecaps FC co-owner. “We are committed to taking the 'Caps to the next level, to being championship contenders. We’ve invested heavily in our soccer operations, from facilities to coast-to-coast soccer programming for boys and girls. Bringing in a sporting director is the next step to take the club forward.”

The sporting director will be a proven leader who brings exceptional soccer expertise to the club. The individual will have a vast understanding and knowledge of scouting and recruitment in the global market, maximize the advantages of a sport performance model, and embrace youth development.

With the change in club structure, president Bob Lenarduzzi will transition to a new role as club liaison. Building on his 45 years of experience with the club, Lenarduzzi will work closely with ownership and club executives to represent the club locally, nationally, and internationally.

“Whitecaps FC would not be Whitecaps FC without Bob Lenarduzzi,” added Mallett. “His knowledge, relationships, and history with this club is unparalleled and will be invaluable as we enter our next chapter.”

“For me, I’m incredibly passionate about representing this club and brand here at home,” said Lenarduzzi. “With the league growing the way it is, now is the right time to inject new leadership into the soccer side of our organization. I am proud to have been with the club every step of the way, and I’m very excited to continue working with our partners at home and abroad as we look toward to the biggest milestone in Canada’s soccer history in 2026.”

About Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Originally established in 1974, Vancouver Whitecaps FC are one of the oldest and most decorated professional soccer clubs in North America. Whitecaps FC are fully integrated across Canada, operating soccer development programs nationwide from grassroots to the professional level for both boys and girls, as well as a core commitment to the community. Since 2011, the club has played in Major League Soccer, the top tier of professional soccer in the United States and Canada. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

So Bobby is fired. But really they just eliminated his position.

But does anyone believe that they will be able to entice anyone of the ilk they are suggesting?  I'd think that someone that has "a vast understanding and knowledge of scouting and recruitment in the global market, maximize the advantages of a sport performance model, and embraces youth development" might be able to pick and choose their next job location. The reality will likely be someone with considerably less of all of this.

Just more words from Mallett. Kind of reminds me of when the Whitecaps kept talking about becoming just like Ajax FC in terms of philosophy, youth development...etc.  

21 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

So Bobby is fired. But really they just eliminated his position.

But does anyone believe that they will be able to entice anyone of the ilk they are suggesting?  I'd think that someone that has "a vast understanding and knowledge of scouting and recruitment in the global market, maximize the advantages of a sport performance model, and embraces youth development" might be able to pick and choose their next job location. The reality will likely be someone with considerably less of all of this.

Just more words from Mallett. Kind of reminds me of when the Whitecaps kept talking about becoming just like Ajax FC in terms of philosophy, youth development...etc.  

Bobby seems to be the Whitecaps version of Paul Holmgren in Philly. His title maybe different but his pull and presence in the organization is very much still alive. Fired is what most fans would be happy about, I bolded what Mallett said about bobby. Sounds like the man is joined to the hip with this franchise no matter what he does rightly or wrongly. 

16 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Bobby seems to be the Whitecaps version of Paul Holmgren in Philly. His title maybe different but his pull and presence in the organization is very much still alive. Fired is what most fans would be happy about, I bolded what Mallett said about bobby. Sounds like the man is joined to the hip with this franchise no matter what he does rightly or wrongly. 

Bingo. This is a title change at best. He's still in the organization (as are multiple other Lenarduzzi's), and Anderson and Lewis are still in charge. Nothing has significantly changed whatsoever, but they'll pretend this is a 'fresh start'.

Can't wait to see their bargain-basement pick for 'sporting director'.

Again, this is a team that just now decided "Oh, I guess we need some scouts".

• Cheers 1

Don Taylor was on this morn saying the fans need to do their research on what Bob did for soccer approximately 1.5mil years ago. 

And you all should have respect! Then his 'inbox' lit up with fire and he started mumbling an acknowledgement of the warranted criticism.

Don leads complaints against the nepotism that eastern media submits too , yet here he is defending his friend and telling all the actual fans they wrong.

No fans = No team, smarty pants. 

• Like 1

I could basically cut and paste my most recent post in the BC Lions thread, 90% of it would be applicable.

Need a better stadium as this one is too big, so the atmosphere isn't great; though it is better than Lions games. I don't know if the Caps get revenue from the concessions, I know the Lions don't.

With both organizations there seems to be no press about an up and coming younger guy that will be pushing for a front line job.

Need a grass field, but the Feds and Province shut down the Waterfront proposal. 

Need a new voice/person in charge that people will know and respect.

Need to spend more, and spend it smarter.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, StealthNuck said:

Bingo. This is a title change at best. He's still in the organization (as are multiple other Lenarduzzi's), and Anderson and Lewis are still in charge. Nothing has significantly changed whatsoever, but they'll pretend this is a 'fresh start'.

Can't wait to see their bargain-basement pick for 'sporting director'.

Again, this is a team that just now decided "Oh, I guess we need some scouts".

In soccer what is the equivalent of a hockey GM, and who is that guy with the Caps?