The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

• 2 months later...

For those of us who were Vancouver Whitecaps fans in 1979, Tony Waiters will always be remembered.

RIP Tony.

image.jpeg.6381c75bb1d5ebb81f438616dfd1adec.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Congratulations to the Columbus Crew on winning the MLS Cup, beating Seattle 3-0.

This is Columbus' second MLS Cup.

And while the Sounders lost this time, they too have won two MLS Cups and have made the playoffs every year they've been in the league.

Nice to see some MLS franchises know what they're doing.

• 2 months later...

So, want to make a quick $6600?  Just bet a $100 on the Whitecaps to win this season's MLS Cup.

(Or  maybe just lose a $100).

******************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/03/09/2021-mls-cup-odds-see-where-your-club-ranks-preseason-gets-underway?utm_source=TWIM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=TwimStory3&utm_campaign=MLSTWIM20210311_NoSchedule_Dynamic

The 2021 MLS season is scheduled to begin on April 17. Teams are currently in preseason camp and preparing for the league’s 26th campaign.

Ranking Club Odds
1 LAFC +500
2 Seattle Sounders +800
3 Columbus Crew SC +900
4 New York City FC +1000
T-5 Philadelphia Union +1200
T-5 Toronto FC +1200
7 Sporting Kansas City +1600
8 Orlando City SC +1800
T-9 Atlanta United +2000
T-9 Portland Timbers +2000
T-11 New York Red Bulls +2200
T-11 Inter Miami CF +2200
T-13 LA Galaxy +2500
T-13 New England Revolution +2500
T-13 Minnesota United FC +2500
T-16 FC Dallas +3300
T-16 Chicago Fire FC +3300
T-18 CF Montréal +5000
T-18 Colorado Rapids +5000
T-18 Nashville SC +5000
T-21 Real Salt Lake +6600
T-21 San Jose Earthquakes +6600
T-21 Vancouver Whitecaps FC +6600
T-21 Austin FC +6600
T-25 FC Cincinnati +10000
T-25 D.C. United +10000
T-25 Houston Dynamo FC +10000

Maybe it's due to Covid, myself in a different stage in life, or the current state of the franchise... but the Whitecaps almost feel non-existent to me now.  

I have to more or less remind myself (and my wife) that we used to be season ticket holders for a few years.  

For those, like myself, who haven't been paying too much attention to the Whitecaps offseason activities, a nice recap from the MLS website:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2021/02/04/mls-western-conference-roster-build-status-armchair-analyst?utm_source=TWIM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=TwimStory1&utm_campaign=MLSTWIM20210318_NoSchedule_Dynamic

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

The Offseason So Far: They've been moving slowly, mostly trimming the edges of the roster. The only regular contributor from 2020 who looks like he's not coming back in 2021 is veteran center forward Fredy Montero -- an understandable decision given that's an area of depth for the 'Caps.

One of the reasons it's an area of depth is the arrival of first-round SuperDraft pick David Egbo, who went ninth overall. Egbo's not expected to play a ton in 2021, but he'll be useful when Lucas Cavallini and Tosaint Ricketts are on international duty with Canada.

Deiber Caicedo is, at this point, the only other official arrival, and he is expected to play a ton. The 20-year-old Colombian youth international already has around 4000 first-team minutes, which means he's not purely a young prospect: he's got to contribute.

They really don't need to make any other signings. Except for one.

What's Next: Vancouver need their own Lucas Zelarayan or Bebelo Reynoso. This team is dying for a DP No. 10, and they have been linked to both Porto's Otavio and Benfica's Chiquinho. Sign either one of those guys and this offseason's a success.

That said, they'd still be a little light on the wings. Caicedo shouldn't be the only incoming winger, and I doubt he will be.

March 17 Update: Vancouver went HAM over the past month, getting right back Bruno Gaspar -- a likely starter -- on loan from Sporting CP in Lisbon, and then pilfering 22-year-old Brazilian central midfielder Caio Alexandre from cash-strapped Botafogo.

Both of those look, on the face of it, like shrewd moves for starting-caliber players on a budget. Local podcasts have begun calling it the Nikos Overheul Effect after the newly hired director off recruiting.

Overheul -- or someone else in the front office -- still needs to find this team a DP No. 10. Once they check that box, this team will actually look quite good.

Vancouver%20March%202021.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

This team needs better ownership, and management. They should be looking at the Sounders as a team they need to emulate. 

To be honest I'm not very happy with MLS as well. I don't like that the league owns the teams and players, and theres's just investor-operators. 

I'm concerned it's turning into NASL with expansion, after expansion. Only to collapse without the better development of North American players. 

Caps doesn't seem to be developing local talent (with obvious exceptions).

With every round of expansion, it just seems less and less likely Vancouver will see a title. 

Disillusioned I guess is the best way to describe it. 

• RoughGame 1

Absolutely horrible advertising about that game,imo.

I saw and heard nothing on radio, what little t.v. I watch, or on the web.

Wonder what the team would look like now if they had managed to get that Waterfront stadium approved.

I'd guess more income, so in theory better players.

43 minutes ago, gurn said:

Absolutely horrible advertising about that game,imo.

I saw and heard nothing on radio, what little t.v. I watch, or on the web.

Wonder what the team would look like now if they had managed to get that Waterfront stadium approved.

I'd guess more income, so in theory better players.

I found it only because I saw other teams playing and assumed the 'Caps must be playing as well. After scanning the TV lineup on Saturday and not finding the Caps listed, I did the same on Sunday and found the match listed at 7:00 pm on TSN.

However, your initial sentence is correct. If I hadn't gone looking (and if I hadn't seen the Toronto - Montreal listing on Saturday) I'd have had no idea this match was on....

In regards to the match itself, it's great to win the opener, but there was some luck involved. An offside on Jimmy Chara negated an early Timbers' goal and a couple of poor finishing efforts by Portland  negated others. Yes, the 'Caps had one called back as well (on a phantom offisde) but it was against the run of play.

We really need Godoy and Adnan back in the fold..(and maybe Cornelius) The Caps' defenders (especially Gutierrez) were collapsing far too much on set pieces and gave up too many opportunities to score.The defense actually did a good job of recovering from their poor marking (Gutierrez made a goal saving block after allowing a Timbers player to get in behind him) but they were playing reactive, rather than proactive football.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Aaaargh!   I thought they were going to win it!

Only two games in but this team may have potential.

Horrible luck to give up the late equalizer on an attempted clearance that bounces off your own player, right to Jonathan Osorio....

Still, if you had told me before the season that the 'Caps would have 4 points after playing Portland and TFC, I'd have been happy.

• Cheers 1

Yet another game I did not know about.

Yes I could copy the schedule, and keep better track, but I'm not that devoted a soccer fan; so if they want me, and others, to watch; I suggest they do a much better job of addvertising.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, gurn said:

Yet another game I did not know about.

Yes I could copy the schedule, and keep better track, but I'm not that devoted a soccer fan; so if they want me, and others, to watch; I suggest they do a much better job of addvertising.

Just so you know, they've got a game today against Colorado.  7pm on TSN1.  Y'er welcome.   ::D

• Thanks 1