The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeremy Price Talk

Gnickers87

I wonder if it has something to do with tanev because I read on a different post we only have 1 roster spot available but I don't know how that works with prospect and AHL signings

i think it has something to do with tanev, but not because of contract spots.

<p>we've been thinking we have negotiating rights for him til mid august; but i can't seem to find any sort of supporting facts that this guy hasn't been an FA since May.  He doesn't fall into any true FA group, was never tendered a QO, and never had a ELC.  Tomorrow marks the day qualifying offers expire.  there is a ton about the CBA i don't understand, but information about a player in price's situation is few and far between.  Per the new CBA, its like he is just a guy off the street with no affiliation, not a UFA or RFA.  so, if someone could point me in the right direction of exceptions to the free agency rules i'd appreciate it.  i've seen people here and on a couple other message boards referring to the 'schultz' rule and price doesn't qualify and blah blah, but nothing offical.  where is the actual rule?

Any player who either chose not to sign or wasn't offered a contract, is four years removed from his draft day, and is no longer a bona fide college student by Aug. 15 becomes a UFA." found my answer today on canucks army.  thought i'd update if anyone was interested.

How can we even sign him? Aren't we close to our contract limit and still have 3 D-men to sign?

I'm thinking they may just let him walk.

well there will be a few contracts that will slide, so there will be a bit more room. But the signings of tommernes, blain, and biega lead me to believe price is the odd man out. pretty weird to have been able to monitor this guys play for 4 years and not see him signed. i guess that is the nature of drafting college bound players, and this was always a possibility.

I suppose it could be that price is the very last item gillis wants to address. Perhaps he wants a more clear picture of the contracts he will have, and maybe get something done after some cuts at training camp. In this scenario, I see price getting a PTO (he would have to in order to participate at camp; i've seen no evidence that he has been our property at all this summer.) and then possibly a contract if he can be fit in. this seems like a way to work it out, though highly unlikely.

Looks like they prefer what they saw in Jeremie Blain.

I know very little about either of these guys but that Blain kid stood out in the prospect scrimmages a few times. He made me check the lineup card to see who he was. Nothing major but he won a few good puck battles and got at least one big smart hit that separated the guy from the puck, he also chased down a guy in the neutral zone that looked like he was getting away on an odd man rush so he might have some pretty good wheels.

edit. he was #73

Blain talenst according to HF

Talent Analysis

Blain's calling cards are his physicality, his effort level, and a nice set of offensive tools. He has good size and uses it well, and is a leader on his junior team. There are areas to improve upon, mostly when it comes to mobility and defensive awareness and positioning, however he has a lot of nice tools to work with.

Future

Blain has much of the skill set of a tough, top four, offensive minded blueliner. He already delivers on both the power play and even strength from a scoring standpoint, is a willing combatant, and loves getting his nose dirty. If he's able to pick his skating and defensive play up by a couple notches, he could well be a quality 2nd pairing rearguard who can contribute with the man advantage. Failing that and he may not be more than a depth defenseman when all is said and done.

Not sure why they didn't offer him a contract. I think it's a mistake esp considering they have very few righty d-men in their system. Ugh.

Jeremie Blain essentially grabbed his spot. Blain is a little bigger, is two years younger, is quite a bit more physical, and is also a righty. He has continued to improve every year, and has played against better comp. He also seems to have outplayed Price at the development camp.

In short, the Price was wrong. I personally like Gillis' new found willingness to walk away from draft picks that haven't developed. Kellen Tochkin doesn't need company in Independence.

The strange part of the Blain story is why did Edmonton walk away from the kid ? they need defensemen

Edmonton was up against the 50-man reserve list limit ran out of contracts to give out. Plus, as someone else already mentioned, they had lots of blue-line prospects ahead of Blain.

Edmonton was up against the 50-man reserve list limit ran out of contracts to give out. Plus, as someone else already mentioned, they had lots of blue-line prospects ahead of Blain.

The suggestion is Edmonton who are desperate for defense is deeper at that position than Vcr........that's not a nice picture you're painting. He can't make it with the Oilers but can with the Canucks :sick:

Actually, the suggestion is that Edmonton has more depth at the prospect level, but much less quality at the NHL level. that's why our defence is better than theirs.

But I'm a little surprised Price was let go. He wasn't the greatest prospect but appeared to have some potential so I thought they'd give him a full year of AHL play to decide if he was worthwhile or not.

I actually saw more of Blain playing though, and he did look pretty good, so I can understand if that was the decision with the limited contract space we have left.

Archived