The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeremy Price Talk

Gnickers87

• 3 weeks later...

Price had a Goal, 3 shots and was even in Colgates 5-4 win over Dartmouth. his goal sparked a 3rd period comeback win and he was instumental on and off the ice in motivating the team.

Box Score

HAMILTON – Senior Robbie Bourdon scored his third goal of the night with three seconds remaining in the game to lead the Colgate men's hockey team to a gutsy 5-4 win over 12th-ranked Dartmouth on Friday night.

Colgate (5-6-1, 1-3-1 ECAC) erased a 4-1 deficit in the third period with four goals in the final frame. Bourdon had two of the four to earn his first career hat trick, while Jeremy Price and Joe Wilson netted the other two. Kurtis Bartliff had a great night as well with three points, all coming as the assist variety. Wilson also added two assists for three points. Spencer Finney got the win after relieving Mihalik. He made three saves, while Mihalik recorded 22 saves.

“It was a gutsy effort by our guys tonight,” said head coach Don Vaughan. “When you're down that much against a team like Dartmouth, a lot of teams might mail it in, but I thought we really responded.”

Vaughan also gave credit to his senior leadership, not only on the ice, but also on the bench as the team did not give up after being down 4-1 in the third.

“I got to give credit to our two senior captains in the lineup tonight, both Jeremy Price and Thomas Larkin,” said Vaughan. “Price was great tonight and not only on the ice, but on the bench as well. He kept a lot of guys focused and both captains did an exceptional job stepping up tonight.”

Dartmouth (5-1-1, 4-1-0 ECAC) suffered its first defeat of the season and was the last remaining unbeaten team in the country coming into the game. The Big Green got goals from four different players and its leading scorer was Eric Robinson with a goal and an assist. Cab Morris came up with some big saves in the third period, but couldn't stop the Raiders in the end. He made a total of 26 stops.

In the first period, Colgate had a pair of great chances with one hitting the post, while the second was stopped by Morris. Bourdon had an opportunity down the right side and rang it off the post to keep it scoreless. On the first power play of the night for the Raiders, Kyle Baun was on the doorstep in front of the crease, but Morris turned aside his shot that came with 10 seconds left on the man advantage late in the period.

Mihalik matched Morris with a great save on a 2-on-1 for the Big Green midway through the period. Brett Patterson received a pass across the goal mouth to the far post and tried to stuff it home, but Mihalik stretched out the pad to make the stop.

The Big Green opened up a 3-0 lead late in the second period with three goals in a three minute span. Dustin Walsh got the first goal of the game with 5:13 left in the frame with assists to Rick Pinkston and Andy Simpson. Then 27 seconds later, Brad Schierhorn gave the visitors a 2-0 lead with his second of the year from Jack Barre. The third goal of the period, which came on the power play, was given to Tyler Sikura for his fifth of the season with another assist from Robinson. Sikura won the face off back to Robinson and he took a shot that Mihalik stopped, but Sikura was there to stuff home the rebound on a second try.

Colgate cut the deficit down to 3-1 with a shorthanded goal from Bourdon for his first of the night. Bartliff intercepted the puck at center ice and found Bourdon down the right side. The senior winger fired a shot that beat Morris glove side.

Dartmouth increased its lead to 4-1 just 1:11 into the final period with Robinson scoring his team-leading eighth of the year. The goal came unassisted as he scooped up a loose puck in the neutral zone and beat Mihalik on a breakaway.

With 11:21 remaining in the third period, the flood gates opened for the Raiders with Price rifling a wrister from the left circle, past Morris and under the bar to cut the deficit down to 4-2. Tylor Spink was awarded an assist for a nice cross-ice pass to set up Price. The momentum continued with Bourdon scoring his second of the night with 8:24 left. Wilson worked the puck out of the corner to Bartliff, who shifted the puck to Bourdon for the one-timer.

The Raiders got within one at the 2:13 mark of the final frame on a great effort by Wilson. Ryan Johnston slipped the puck down to Wilson in the corner and the sophomore worked the puck around to Bartliff. He got it back and wrapped it around and surprised Morris to tie the game at 4-4.

Then Bourdon picked a great time for his first career hat trick with a diving rebound shot with three seconds left to give Colgate the 5-4 win. Bartliff took a shot from the blueline on a rush up ice with seven seconds left. The shot got blocked, but Wilson handled it, put it on net and Morris pushed it aside. The rebound came free and Bourdon dove at the far post to score.

“We made an adjustment on one of the lines and it seemed to light a fire under Wilson,” said Vaughan. “When he is skating like it's hard for team's to contain him and he did a great job controlling the play in the offensive zone.”

The change to the lines was Wilson jumped onto the line with Bartliff and Mike Borkowski, while Bourdon was paired with John Lidgett and Darcy Murphy.

“Robbie is just a goal scorer, that's what he does,” said Vaughan when talking about the performance of his senior winger. “and tonight that was huge for us and hopefully we carry this momentum into tomorrow night against a tough Harvard team.”

Colgate outshot the Big Green, 31-29, and went scoreless on two power play chances. Dartmouth tallied one of its four goals on the power play.

The Raiders will be back on the ice at Starr Rink tomorrow night at 7 p.m. against 17th-ranked Harvard.

http://www.gocolgate...1116120057.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

No leadership cost with Price as Colgate captain

By Richard Murray

December 12th, 2012

Jeremy Price has come on strong, and he has developed into one of the top offensive threats of any ECAC defensive contingent.

The Vancouver Canucks prospect has continued to show statistical improvement since his freshman season. He had 19 points in his freshman season, 19 the next, and 23 points last season. So far in his senior season, Price is off to a strong start with four goals and six assists.

“His progression has been really good,” Colgate coach Don Vaughan said.

“He is a quiet guy, but he goes about his business. He has always seen solid minutes, but I think he is playing with a new-found confidence. He is winning a lot of puck battles, which is really important in the defensive end. I think the last few games he has been playing his best few games ever. He is taking charge of the puck, and he is lugging it up the ice more than he had. He is in a good place.”

Although Price's stats may have been a little bit lower to start, that could also be because Colgate held him back a bit due to his importance to the team’s defensive play.

“We kind of held Jeremy back a little bit at the beginning,” Vaughan said. “We were really trying to get him to hone his defensive side because we knew his offensive abilities were already there.”

Now that Price has developed his defensive side he has become an important asset in the Raiders defensive end, especially on the penalty kill.

“Being on the penalty kill is a large responsibility, but I enjoy being out there with a man down because of all the pressure that is on you,” Price said. “I like to get the guys pumped up on the bench when I fire the puck down the ice.”

Price is often relied upon to run the Raiders power-play, so special teams is a very important role that he plays.

“The power-play is a huge responsibility as it can often win or lose a game [for us],” Price said. “Personally, I try and control things from up top, create some plays for other guys from moving along the line and take the shot when the lane is there. I enjoy skating the puck up on the breakout and ensuring we get a solid entry.”

The Colgate captain does a lot more for his team than would meet the eye because of the way he can inspire his teammates. His leadership abilities have helped Colgate fight back in the times when things don’t look so good.

“He is a quiet leader for us, but over the past month or so he is starting to get a lot more vocal out,” Vaughan said. “When we were down, 4-1, against Dartmouth, he was the guy on the bench that helped inspire us to come back and win, 5-4. He gave us the energy to do it, and it was really all him.”

As a Canucks prospect, Price has also had the opportunity to compete in Vancouver’s summer development camps, which has helped his progression. In addition to helping Price progress, his coach has seen a new found confidence in him when he returns to Colgate from the camps.

“I think not only for Jeremy, but every kid that goes to those camps is great for the player and us,” Vaughan said.

“I think it is wonderful some of our guys get the opportunity to do that because it helps them develop and improve. He has absolutely come back with more confidence because players can sort of gauge themselves against some of the top prospects that are high draft picks. It can only do one thing and that is make them more confident about their own game.”

As a senior, Price will have the opportunity to make the jump to the professional level. Although that may not be too far away, he has to remain focused on the goal at hand now.

“It is hard not think about [turning pro], but as of right now I am trying to just take it one game at a time,” Price said. “I can’t be worrying about going pro right now.”

As long as Price continues to grow like he has in college, he should have a very successful career at the professional level.

Follow Richard Murray on twitter via @Richie_Murray

Price has always sort of been a forgotten prospect by alot of fans. Even though he has been steadily improving over his 4 years in college.

We may really need him to pan out now with the uncertainty surrounding McNally. Hopefully they both pan out for us, because other than Tanev and Corrado, we haven't really had a whole lot of high end talent amongst our D prospects. Connauton is still a wait and see IMO.

The writing's gotten better on these HF articles...

Price has always sort of been a forgotten prospect by alot of fans. Even though he has been steadily improving over his 4 years in college.

We may really need him to pan out now with the uncertainty surrounding McNally. Hopefully they both pan out for us, because other than Tanev and Corrado, we haven't really had a whole lot of high end talent amongst our D prospects. Connauton is still a wait and see IMO.

It's good to know that Corrado and Price will be with the farm next year, whether that's the Wolves or some other team. Possibly McNally and Tommernes too. Good times.

If I were the canucks, I'd buy an affiliate to ensure it's focusing on developing players for me.

not sure if your being sarcastic but I agree with your statement. that way the canucks brass might have more say in ice times pairings and line combos. maybe even get a little closer location wise to help us with gameday call UPS too.

not sure if your being sarcastic but I agree with your statement. that way the canucks brass might have more say in ice times pairings and line combos. maybe even get a little closer location wise to help us with gameday call UPS too.

serious as a cancer treatment. the wolves are a great organization for what they are, an AHL team, but their history of actually developing players for the NHL is... lackluster.

I agree as well. I know some people mention Abbotsford as a location for the farm team, but I think Seattle would be another location they could explore. They're getting a new arena - with no pro hockey market to compete with (other than the Canucks). Plus the players playing on the farm would get familiar to the time changes that the Canucks deal with.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy is not talked about much, but there are definitely some things i like about his play. Simply put, he is solid in all areas, master of none. He has enough upside and i like his play enough to expect him signed after this final season in the NCAA.

Enjoy.

You can see why he's the captain. Really good control of the play.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived