The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeremy Price Talk

Gnickers87

I don't know much about this stuff, is this normal?

Yeah, it's normal. That's usually why prospects just coming out of college sign ATO's and not ELC's right away, because they have some unfinished business academically (Exams). I believe Cannata signed an ATO, went back to Merrimack to write exams, and then he signed his ELC sometime later.

• 1 month later...

So if Canucks can't sign him by June, does he become a UFA (a la Justin Schultz)?

Edit: Good read from Canucks Army about advanced statistics and the Chicago Wolves. The NHL has Behind the Net to monitor stats, but the AHL doesn't have such a site. Drance somehow got some #'s and showed up how each Canucks prospect was used. Link

Interesting that in 5 games, Price was used a shut down guy i.e. eating tough mins. It's a real small sample size, but really interesting cause the Wolves didn't really use Canucks prospects in tough roles (you know, cause they only like veterans). Bodes well for his future in Van if he can successfully handle tough mins in the AHL right after college (a la Tanev).

So if Canucks can't sign him by June, does he become a UFA (a la Justin Schultz)?

Edit: Good read from Canucks Army about advanced statistics and the Chicago Wolves. The NHL has Behind the Net to monitor stats, but the AHL doesn't have such a site. Drance somehow got some #'s and showed up how each Canucks prospect was used. Link

Interesting that in 5 games, Price was used a shut down guy i.e. eating tough mins. It's a real small sample size, but really interesting cause the Wolves didn't really use Canucks prospects in tough roles (you know, cause they only like veterans). Bodes well for his future in Van if he can successfully handle tough mins in the AHL right after college (a la Tanev).

Yep, we'd lose his rights and he could sign with any team (as could Honzik and Westerholm).

I didn't know that about Price - it is difficult, as you say, to find in-depth AHL statistics but that's encouraging to see. Especially when you consider he was only on a brief ATO out of college and playing in those situations. (Aside - the stats on Jensen pretty much confirm my suspicions - he was being played against tough competition with crappy linemates. Should partially explain his low production totals.)

Yep, we'd lose his rights and he could sign with any team (as could Honzik and Westerholm).

I didn't know that about Price - it is difficult, as you say, to find in-depth AHL statistics but that's encouraging to see. Especially when you consider he was only on a brief ATO out of college and playing in those situations. (Aside - the stats on Jensen pretty much confirm my suspicions - he was being played against tough competition with crappy linemates. Should partially explain his low production totals.)

Oh wow. So he could Schultz the Canucks. I'm guessing they didn't close that loophole in the new CBA. That would be pretty sad if they lost him to UFA. Hopefully they get him signed in the next few weeks.

Ya, the Jensen #'s are very interesting. When adjusting to the North American game, you'd think they'd shelter him a bit and play him with good linemates. But it's the Chicago Wolves, so they do the opposite. Idiots, good riddance.

What the heck. Only 3 weeks left to sign this kid, right? I have a good feeling about him. He better not Schultz us.

Our affiliate (don't know where that's going to be yet) defense looks pretty good right now, with Andersson, Corrado, Polasek, Sauve, Joslin, Mullen and of course the recently signed Tommernes. I think it could be the case that the Tommernes signing pushed Price out of a spot, despite our need for RHD.

Anyone know where we are in terms of contracts?

I have it at 48, with Malhotra, Rai, Gordon being the obvious expires. Throw in a Booth/Ballard buy out, and we're actually comfortable for contracts for a change. I guess we're ok to sign Price - get on that Gillis.

Our affiliate (don't know where that's going to be yet) defense looks pretty good right now, with Andersson, Corrado, Polasek, Sauve, Joslin, Mullen and of course the recently signed Tommernes. I think it could be the case that the Tommernes signing pushed Price out of a spot, despite our need for RHD.

A few of those guys are not even signed for next season; Sauve, Joslin, Mullen. We will likely have one or two vets brought in, but i don't think Sauve deserves another contract. Corrado may very well be with the Canucks.

Tommernes has played both the left and right side before, so there is enough flexibility to have both him and Price in the lineup. It would be a downright shame for Price to be pushed out of a spot. He didn't look out of place in his short stint. I think he is all but guaranteed a contract.

FYI: our reserve list is at 30 for next season, not 48. http://capgeek.com/c...t/?year_id=2013

A few of those guys are not even signed for next season; Sauve, Joslin, Mullen. We will likely have one or two vets brought in, but i don't think Sauve deserves another contract. Corrado may very well be with the Canucks.

Tommernes has played both the left and right side before, so there is enough flexibility to have both him and Price in the lineup. It would be a downright shame for Price to be pushed out of a spot. He didn't look out of place in his short stint. I think he is all but guaranteed a contract.

FYI: our reserve list is at 30 for next season, not 48. http://capgeek.com/c...t/?year_id=2013

I counted bringing back some vets in Joslin, Mullen, Vandermeer and I most certainly think Sauve gets another contract. Of that list for next year is another 11 RFAs of which guys like Schroeder, Sweatt, Archibald, Andersson and possibly Rodin get brought back. I'm not being argumentative, as I did state there is more contract flexibility for us next year, and it's definitely a conversation worth having.

In terms of the list you provided, I would have to add that guys like Ebbett, S. Schneider, and Desbiens will either walk or not be re-signed. With that said, that would put us at 35 contracts, 17 of which are NHLers. This doesn't count the inevitable holes that would need to be filled in the case of a Ballard/Booth buyout or a Luongo trade, in which both are necessary to get us under the cap.

In terms of contracts alone, that's about 18 players available for our AHL affiliate, including 2 goaltenders. This also includes guys like Tochkin and Anthony which likely won't even be ready for the AHL. So, we certainly need to sign as many as our prospects as possible, Price included. It would be worth targeting some AHL vets (never thought i'd say it) to boost our semi-weak prospect pool.

I counted bringing back some vets in Joslin, Mullen, Vandermeer and I most certainly think Sauve gets another contract. Of that list for next year is another 11 RFAs of which guys like Schroeder, Sweatt, Archibald, Andersson and possibly Rodin get brought back. I'm not being argumentative, as I did state there is more contract flexibility for us next year, and it's definitely a conversation worth having.

In terms of the list you provided, I would have to add that guys like Ebbett, S. Schneider, and Desbiens will either walk or not be re-signed. With that said, that would put us at 35 contracts, 17 of which are NHLers. This doesn't count the inevitable holes that would need to be filled in the case of a Ballard/Booth buyout or a Luongo trade, in which both are necessary to get us under the cap.

In terms of contracts alone, that's about 18 players available for our AHL affiliate, including 2 goaltenders. This also includes guys like Tochkin and Anthony which likely won't even be ready for the AHL. So, we certainly need to sign as many as our prospects as possible, Price included. It would be worth targeting some AHL vets (never thought i'd say it) to boost our semi-weak prospect pool.

How has Sauve earned a contract in your mind? He looked absolutely in over his head this season at the AHL level, quite the chicken with his head cut off. The Canucks asked him to simplify his game. He did the opposite, he forced plays continually and chased the play in his own zone. IMO, he has lost any progress he made under MacT, reemphasized that he has no NHL potential and is a dime a dozen player in the AHL. Joslin is significantly better than him, so if we are talking about bringing back someone, Joslin is a safer and better bet.

Price absolutely deserves a spot over Sauve. He looked good on the PP, which is more than we could say about any other guys this season. He walks the line well and has a good shot. On paper, he and Tommernes would be quite the pair on the PP points.

I am not too concerned with our contract situation. We have a lot of expiring RFA/UFA contracts that we can feel easy walking away from. A couple more prospect signings would surely be beneficial. I think Taker could replace what Sauve brings to the organization. Maybe Langlois to help bolster our C depth.

How has Sauve earned a contract in your mind? He looked absolutely in over his head this season at the AHL level, quite the chicken with his head cut off. The Canucks asked him to simplify his game. He did the opposite, he forced plays continually and chased the play in his own zone. IMO, he has lost any progress he made under MacT, reemphasized that he has no NHL potential and is a dime a dozen player in the AHL. Joslin is significantly better than him, so if we are talking about bringing back someone, Joslin is a safer and better bet.

There's no way they give up on a guy with Sauve's size and skating ability. Yes he's had a rough couple of seasons, but in no way is he a write off.

He was playing great in the ECHL this year, and looks like he's getting his confidence back. That's the biggest thing with him, it's his confidence. Getting sent back and forth from the AHL to the ECHL didn't help. But there was simply no room for him because the team decided to go with much more experienced D-men.

Now that the Canucks have their own farm team, he can be given the room to grow and make mistakes. He's got too much upside to just give up on. And Joslin has reached his potential, he'll never be an NHLer plain and simple. We're way better off going with a guy who still has a chance to turn it around.

There's no way they give up on a guy with Sauve's size and skating ability. Yes he's had a rough couple of seasons, but in no way is he a write off.

He was playing great in the ECHL this year, and looks like he's getting his confidence back. That's the biggest thing with him, it's his confidence. Getting sent back and forth from the AHL to the ECHL didn't help. But there was simply no room for him because the team decided to go with much more experienced D-men.

Now that the Canucks have their own farm team, he can be given the room to grow and make mistakes. He's got too much upside to just give up on. And Joslin has reached his potential, he'll never be an NHLer plain and simple. We're way better off going with a guy who still has a chance to turn it around.

The biggest thing with Sauve is not confidence. The biggest thing with Sauve is between his ears, has been for years, and it has become more and more evident that he does not think the game at an AHL level, much less at an NHL level.

He played well in the ECHL as a 23 year old. Great. You say he got his confidence back? He didn't show that at all when he was called back up by the Wolves in April. Instead, he continued his frightening play.

Sauve played consistently from October to November, played poorly at that. Enough time to claim his spot. Then lost his spot due to injury in addition to there being several better options than him.

What kind of growth are you hoping to see from him? He has been given plenty of chances to show he can take the next step, but he simply has not taken it. What is his potential? He is at best a 7-8 defender in the NHL if everything comes together. How much more time are we going to spend on him if that's the best we can hope for? A dime a dozen player that we can get at free agency for peanuts. We are better going with a vet D who can help provide stability for our young guys we are bringing in next season to the AHL.

Price should definitely be signed to an ELC. Our cupboard is among the barest in the NHL, and he is a good all-around d-man who has good leadership as well. I think unless something unusual occurs between player and team, he'll get inked.

With Sauve, it's just a matter of do we go in a different direction as it just hasn't worked out, or do we re-sign him and let him try to make his way back to the NHL in the next couple of years? He had an excellent season in the ECHL and should be in the AHL next year, whether it's with us or another team.

Archived