1057 replies to this topic

#931 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

I thought burial at sea was acceptable??

What happens to those muslims that die at sea then??

What? No towels in heaven?!

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#932 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:44 PM

I thought burial at sea was acceptable??

What happens to those muslims that die at sea then??

What? No towels in heaven?!

I think there might be an issue with the requirement of being buried with the head facing Mecca.

Muslim clerics said Monday that Osama bin Laden's burial at sea was a violation of Islamic tradition that may further provoke militant calls for revenge attacks against American targets.

Although there appears to be some room for debate over the burial as with many issues within the faith a wide range of senior Islamic scholars interpreted it as a humiliating disregard for the standard Muslim practice of placing the body in a grave with the head pointed toward the holy city of Mecca.

Sea burials can be allowed, they said, but only in special cases where the death occurred aboard a ship.

Bin Laden's burial at sea "runs contrary to the principles of Islamic laws, religious values and humanitarian customs," said Sheik Ahmed al-Tayeb, the grand Imam of Cairo's al-Azhar mosque, Sunni Islam's highest seat of learning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_bin_laden_sea_burial
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#933 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,284 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

I think his rights for a proper muslim burial went out the window when thousands of americans were unceremoniously buried in the rubble of world trade center.

What about their right for a proper burial, or to even live out the rest of their natural lives?

Nope, their argument doesn't hold water in the slightest. They are just looking for any excuse to "retaliate", and I say them. Extremists of any religion can just sod off.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 10 May 2011 - 02:07 PM.
Swear filter bypass removed

#934 JAH

JAH

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

That's the way the cookie crumbles, Omar. I think it's safe to say that regardless of which direction his head is facing, he didn't go to paradise anyhow.
'It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.' - Muhammad Ali

#935 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:13 PM

Bin Laden's burial at sea "runs contrary to the principles of Islamic laws, religious values and humanitarian customs," said Sheik Ahmed al-Tayeb, the grand Imam of Cairo's al-Azhar mosque, Sunni Islam's highest seat of learning.

Should "bin Laden" and "humanitarian" ever be mentioned in the same sentence?

#936 Wild#9

Wild#9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

I think his rights for a proper muslim burial went out the window when thousands of americans were unceremoniously buried in the rubble of world trade center.

What about their right for a proper burial, or to even live out the rest of their natural lives?

Nope, their argument doesn't hold water in the slightest. They are just looking for any excuse to "retaliate", and I say them. Extremists of any religion can just sod off.

Agree completely. And, "proper burial" or not, the guy's in hell now where he belongs.
Posted Image
RIP Boogaard, Rypien, Belak and the victims of the Yaroslavl plane crash.

#937 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

That argument has the same lack of validity as saying murders give up their rights when they murder and the state can murder them as punishment.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#938 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

I think there might be an issue with the requirement of being buried with the head facing Mecca.

Muslim clerics said Monday that Osama bin Laden's burial at sea was a violation of Islamic tradition that may further provoke militant calls for revenge attacks against American targets.

Although there appears to be some room for debate over the burial as with many issues within the faith a wide range of senior Islamic scholars interpreted it as a humiliating disregard for the standard Muslim practice of placing the body in a grave with the head pointed toward the holy city of Mecca.

Sea burials can be allowed, they said, but only in special cases where the death occurred aboard a ship.

http://news.yahoo.co...aden_sea_burial

Does a gunship count? Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#939 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,638 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

True but I don't think HIS rights are why they did it. It's a show for Muslims all over that the US is not against Muslims. Obama even said this in his address to release the information of OBLs death.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#940 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:18 PM

<br />That argument has the same lack of validity as saying murders give up their rights when they murder and the state can murder them as punishment.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

That is what happened in the old west. String them up without a trial.

Home come the Nazis who killed millions were given the Nuremburg Trials? Yet Bin Laden was shot like a dog?

And were the Nazis who were executed dropped in the nearest body of water.

#941 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:56 PM

<br /><br /><br />

That is what happened in the old west. String them up without a trial.

Home come the Nazis who killed millions were given the Nuremburg Trials? Yet Bin Laden was shot like a dog?

And were the Nazis who were executed dropped in the nearest body of water.

Probably because they were actual soldiers in an actual army that belonged to an actual country.

OBL was in a different legal classification than Nazi's. Enemy of the State or Enemy combatant....or something like that.

Many Nazi's were excecuted by Allied soldiers as well, actually and weren't given any proper burials. Some were dumped in a mass grave, others cremated in a large piles, and other ways of disposal. Comparing the Nazi's and OBL's treatment is quite the fallacy of false equivocation.

#942 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

Bin Laden went down shooting. They gave him a chance to surrender and he didn't.
Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#943 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

Bin Laden went down shooting. They gave him a chance to surrender and he didn't.

Well, actually he didn't actually fire back or even have a weapon....he made a 'resisting motion' or something along those line.....either way...dead or alive means dead or alive.....and it's better(for a whole host of reasons) that they just killed him.

#944 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

Well he was living in an armed compound and his hired knuckle draggers
Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#945 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:14 PM

Well, actually he didn't actually fire back or even have a weapon....he made a 'resisting motion' or something along those line.....either way...dead or alive means dead or alive.....and it's better(for a whole host of reasons) that they just killed him.

Intel and the media could have squeezed out more info out of him alive.

As it is, the US Forces raided his compound and everything they found is strictly under wraps by them. I would have much preferred for him to spill the beans about everyone and everything for all the world to hear.

Edited by Buggernut, 10 May 2011 - 10:31 PM.

#946 Super19

Super19

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,438 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

"and these are some of my favourite things"!

http://www.thedailyb...lleries/2886/1/
Posted Image

#947 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

Intel and the media could have squeezed out more info out of him alive.

As it is, the US Forces raided his compound and everything they found is strictly under wraps by them. I would have much preferred for him to spill the beans about everyone and everything for all the world to hear.

Why?

#948 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

Why?

Because there may be more baddies involved than the US wants you to know.

#949 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

Because there may be more baddies involved than the US wants you to know.

There always will be.

But they seemed to have gotten a tonne of info from his compound as well. I'm sure more headshots are on the way.

#950 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

Still talking about shark poop that lies on the ocean floor eh :lol:

#951 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

There always will be.

But they seemed to have gotten a tonne of info from his compound as well. I'm sure more headshots are on the way.

What's more, public making him admit that he drank Pepsi might have made him lose some credibility with his supporters.

#952 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

What's more, public making him admit that he drank Pepsi might have made him lose some credibility with his supporters.

PsyOps perhaps?

Now that they've killed him, it's time to kill his image and his following. Seems pretty logical and tactically astute.

I've got no problem with burying him at sea and tossing his reputation overboard alongside him.

#953 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

Finally, information comes out as to who was actually the leader of Al-Qeada.

Posted Image

#954 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:19 PM

PsyOps perhaps?

Now that they've killed him, it's time to kill his image and his following. Seems pretty logical and tactically astute.

I've got no problem with burying him at sea and tossing his reputation overboard alongside him.

Actually, discrediting him is good, so that they don't make a martyr out of him.

#955 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:10 PM

Actually, discrediting him is good, so that they don't make a martyr out of him.

I'm sure he'll stay a martyr to some, but if it discourages any to pick up his cause after his death, then it's a well worth venture to undertake.

#956 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

I just tried that new Osama Bin Laden drink at the bar, it sure is good.

Two shots and a splash of water.

#957 Champ Kind

Champ Kind

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

BBC: Bin Laden sons protest to US over 'arbitrary killing'

Posted Image

Omar bin Laden kinda looks like...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#958 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

BBC: Bin Laden sons protest to US over 'arbitrary killing'

Posted Image

Omar bin Laden kinda looks like...

Posted Image

Now if only we could dress him up like a Samsquansh and let him loose in the Trailer Park...... Problem solved.

#959 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:43 AM

Osama a micro manager? Are his underlings really that upset? Like any employee, I'm sure some secretly harboured desires to do the job themselves!

From Propublica:

During his final years, Osama bin Laden expressed interest in everything from killing President Obama to his deputies' personalities to an article in an extremist magazine that he didn't like, according to two U.S. officials familiar with material seized during the raid that killed bin Laden.

A trove of digital communications and hand-written notes show how bin Laden ran his weakened network from his solitary hideout in a garrison town in Pakistan. He was especially engaged in decisions about leadership posts and developing plots, the officials said.

Bin Laden's writings discuss his strategic goal of carrying out attacks that would prevent President Obama from being re-elected, though he also wrote that "the alternative could be worse," a U.S. counterterror official said.
"He talks about targeting priorities," the counterterror official said. "He says the president is of course the top target if you could get a shot at him. Also the military chiefs like the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the defense secretary, top military people. There is a note indicating that the vice president is not an important target because that position has less weight."

The passage was less a discussion of concrete assassination plots than strategic musings, the counterterror official said. Another U.S official said it was part of a message intended for a deputy. It is not always clear if the messages were actually delivered. The material has been translated from Arabic and culled from computers, discs, thumb drives and bin Laden's handwritten notes, said the officials, who spoke to ProPublica on condition of anonymity.
Bin Laden clearly played a role in al Qaeda's operational, tactical and strategic planning, the officials said. That contrasts with assertions by officials in Pakistan and the West over the years that he was dead, in another country or cut off from his network.

"You could describe him as a micro-manager," a U.S. official said. "The cumbersome process he had to follow for security reasons did not prevent him from playing a role...He was down in the weeds as far as best operatives, best targets, best timing."

Bin Laden was bent on inflicting mass-casualty attacks on the West, the U.S. official said. At the same time, however, he criticized an online propaganda magazine edited by a young American in Yemen, saying the bloodthirsty tone of an article could harm al Qaeda's image among Muslims, according to the U.S. counterterror official.

The magazine, called Inspire, "apparently discussed using a tractor or farm vehicle in an attack outfitted with blades or swords as a fearsome killing machine," the official said. "Bin Laden said this is something he did not endorse. He seems taken aback. He complains that this tactical proposal promotes indiscriminate slaughter. He says he rejects this and it is not something that reflects what al Qaeda does."

The sentiment apparently evokes bin Laden's concern -- previously expressed in al Qaeda letters intercepted in 2004 -- about backlash among Muslims who feel the network has gone to violent extremes, especially in Iraq, and killed many Muslims in the process.

A clandestine courier system enabled bin Laden to send strategic directives to the network's core in Pakistan and its affiliates overseas, but he was hampered by the lack of phone and Internet access in his compound -- a measure to avoid detection.

"In a sense what we have here is internal discussion," the counterterror official said. "And also you have a leader alone, writing down his thoughts... It's kind of like the old concept in the Navy when captains thought they might lose visual contact. They needed to know the commander's intent in the contingency of having to make decisions on their own. When bin Laden writes to his deputies, he is reinforcing their knowledge of the commander's intent."
Bin Laden communicated with deputies such as Mustafa Abu-Yazid, a veteran Egyptian boss who was al Qaeda's operations chief until he was killed in a U.S. missile strike last year, according to the official. Yazid, based in the northwest tribal areas of Pakistan, sent outgoing orders to commanders in Pakistan or affiliates in other countries, and relayed their messages to bin Laden's hideout in Abbottabad near Pakistan's capital.
The courier system also permitted bin Laden to communicate directly with other deputies, the U.S. official said.

One exchange shows Ayman al Zawahiri, the Egyptian ideologue regarded as the number two chief of al Qaeda, communicating with bin Laden through Yazid, who most Western counterterror officials saw as number three in the hierarchy.

The leaders discussed the personality of an up-and-coming Libyan leader named Atiyah Abd-al-Rehman, known widely as Atiyah, the officials said.

"Bin laden tells Yazid that other leaders have told him that Atiyah is seen as a bit undiplomatic and heavy-handed in his dealings with others in the group," the counterterror official said. "Bin laden's language indicates that he likes Atiyah, but he is mentioning the discussions about Atiyah that he has heard from others in AQ."

Despite his perceived charm deficiency, Atiyah's star has risen. After Yazid was killed, bin Laden appointed Atiyah as operations chief, according to Western counterterror officials. Last month, German police arrested three suspected Moroccan militants in Dusseldorf accused of preparing a bomb attack on a transportation target. The suspects were in contact with Atiyah and Younus the Mauritanian, a chief in Pakistan who has been leading operations against foreign targets, officials say.
Bin Laden ordered Atiyah and Younus to concentrate on attacking Europe and the United States, the officials said.
Evidence in a pending court trial in Chicago reveals that "the elders," whom court papers identify as the top al Qaeda leadership, were eager to execute a plot against a Danish newspaper that had published caricatures of the Prophet Mohamed. That plot was aborted in late 2009.
The Associated Press reported tonight that some of bin Laden's writings show him musing over how many Americans he would have to kill to force the U.S. to withdraw from the Arab world and concluding that the body count would have to be in the thousands.
Bin Laden also managed to retain authority over al Qaeda's affiliates in Yemen, North Africa and Iraq, the U.S. official said.

"It was not the same degree of detailed involvement, but he played a huge role in leadership," the U.S. official said.
The materials seized during the May 1 raid in Abbottabad indicate that Bin Laden communicated with the network's most active and dangerous wing, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, through his operations deputy in Pakistan, who forwarded directives through emails and couriers to the affiliate's leaders in Yemen, the counterterror official said.
Intelligence gathered months before the raid revealed a tell-tale exchange with the al Qaeda leader in Yemen. The leader, a Yemeni, wrote to bin Laden with a surprising proposal: He suggested that he step down as chief of the affiliate in favor of Anwar al-Awlaki, a Yemeni-American ideologue. Awlaki's influence has been revealed in a string of recent plots against the U.S., including the attempted Christmas bombing on a Detroit-bound flight in 2009.

The leader explained that naming Awlaki as his replacement would be a propaganda coup. It would take advantage of the cleric's popularity among Westerners, especially Americans, and have a strong impact on recruitment, according to the counterterror official.
The leader in Pakistan rejected the proposal, however, according to the official. "Bin laden's message was essentially, I know you. I trust you. Let's keep things the way they are."

Awlaki has eluded a number of U.S. missile strikes on his suspected refuge in Yemen.

The U.S. task force that is poring over the intelligence haul from the raid has three priorities: detecting imminent plots, tracking other al Qaeda leaders and investigating bin Laden's support network in Pakistan. The last task confronts a delicate question: whether Pakistani security forces were involved in protecting bin Laden, who spent at least five years in the compound near a military academy.

Edited by Lonny Bohonos, 12 May 2011 - 05:47 AM.

Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#960 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,840 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Now if only we could dress him up like a Samsquansh and let him loose in the Trailer Park...... Problem solved.

Samsquansh? I hate those co******rs!

According to what I've heard and read, OBL always said that he'd never be taken alive, so the SEALS just taking him out might have saved some unnecessary loss of life.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.