The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

predator fan to the canucks

pred303guy

i've been a hockey fan since my father took me to a minor league game in Nashville in 1966. have been an nhl fan since the mid 70's cemented by watching gretzky's scoring streak unfold. have owned season tickets to every predator home game ever played. part owner of the suite next to carrie underwood (lol, knew that might get some of you guys attention).

in other words i'm anything but a new fan. and in all these years i never remember being for the team that just put my team out of the playoffs. too much emotion and built up hatred you know.

but, wanted you guys to know that because of how classy so many of your canuck posters were on the main predator board i cann't be against you (in these playoffs, lol). and therefore for the little it's worth, will be cheering for you (and was in game 1).

you guys are better than this shark team. like you, we beat them 3 of 4 this year as well. their defense will give the sedin's too much time and space. the sedins, and burrows will take advantage of that in this series. your defense is far better than theirs. your depth is better than theirs. your goaltending is better than theirs. i see no way they can hold you guys to less than 3 goals per game on average, and i'm fairly sure you can hold them below that. i also think you will benefit from having played our defensive oriented, hard working team in the previous series and that will help you against a team like the sharks that rely more on top line skill.

anyway, best of luck from a former opponent.

you guys are better than this shark team. their defense will give the sedin's too much time and space. the sedins, and burrows will take advantage of that in this series. your defense is far better than theirs. your depth is better than theirs. your goaltending is better than theirs. i see no way they can hold you guys to less than 3 goals per game on average, and i'm fairly sure you can hold them below that. i also think you will benefit from having played our defensive oriented, hard working team in the previous series and that will help you against a team like the sharks that rely more on top line skill.

anyway, best of luck from a former opponent.

^^^

Preds guy knows his stuff. I remember reading this thread and I agreed with everything you said.

My take on it is.....the way the Preds played us, it was like taking a swing with a bat with a weight on it. Now the weights off, swing away!!!

Hope you are enjoying this series.

<br />i've been a hockey fan since my father took me to a minor league game in Nashville in 1966. have been an nhl fan since the mid 70's cemented by watching gretzky's scoring streak unfold. have owned season tickets to every predator home game ever played. part owner of the suite next to carrie underwood (lol, knew that might get some of you guys attention). <br /><br />in other words i'm anything but a new fan. and in all these years i never remember being for the team that just put my team out of the playoffs. too much emotion and built up hatred you know.<br /><br />but, wanted you guys to know that because of how classy so many of your canuck posters were on the main predator board i cann't be against you (in these playoffs, lol). and therefore for the little it's worth, will be cheering for you (and was in game 1).<br /><br />you guys are better than this shark team. like you, we beat them 3 of 4 this year as well. their defense will give the sedin's too much time and space. the sedins, and burrows will take advantage of that in this series. your defense is far better than theirs. your depth is better than theirs. your goaltending is better than theirs. i see no way they can hold you guys to less than 3 goals per game on average, and i'm fairly sure you can hold them below that. i also think you will benefit from having played our defensive oriented, hard working team in the previous series and that will help you against a team like the sharks that rely more on top line skill.<br /><br />anyway, best of luck from a former opponent.<br />

I liked how the media picked up on the college-like atmosphere and displayed what Preds hockey is all about. Super classy organization and fans that you can't hate even if you try. Just watch the handshaking after the series was over. Tons of mutual respect for each other especially when compared to the Chicago series.

Preds are nominated for best coach, best goalie and best defenceman. For the last couple of years, they're not looked at as underdogs but the dark horse. I think they'll accomplish bigger things.

Classy organization all-around.

I was particularly impressed with the fans in Nashville giving their team a standing ovation and cheering loudly after being eliminated in game 6. Absolutely top-notch.

When you can get guys to buy into a system so well, you know Trotz is a great coach. The Preds have a great blueline, they're just a few forwards away from going really deep in the playoffs.

A top-line centre and a couple of highly-skilled scoring forwards and that team should be good for years to come, as long as you guys lock up Shea Weber haha.

really appreciate the warm welcome and kind words..

glad you guys got to see the atmosphere in nashville. it's actually been like that for the last several years, but unfortunately we've never gotten to play a Canadian team in the playoffs before so many up your way have never been able to see what it was like thanks to the awful tv scheduling..

for those that 'hate' the defensive style of hockey nashville plays against you guys, i completely understand, but you're not getting to see the entire picture of predator hockey. trotz knows the only way for us to have a chance against a team like the canucks is to play things very close to the vest and shorten the game, hoping that the more skilled teams like vancouver will make mistakes trying to force things. we have to play that way against the canucks and wings of the west, but against other teams we can open things up a little more. note that we actually scored goals against the ducks in the series prior, lol. i know this is hard to believe, but take the last 20 games of the season, and we actually scored quite a few more goals than the canucks did their last 20 games.

but of course i agree, to move from a good team to a great team, the preds have to add some top line offensive talent. tough for a team on a very tight budget to do. i know the way poile has built the team, from the net out, is the hockey smart way though. budget troubles cost us hamhuis, would have been the ideal 3rd dman on our team, but poile simply couldn't afford his 3 mil+ and re-sign both suter and weber. i've been to many arenas over the years, and nashville has one of the best atmospheres you'll ever see. the reason is simple. it's like older franchises used to be before they went 'corporate'. once tickets get so high, teams at some point sell primarily to corporate suits. who typically care or even know much about hockey honestly. while most teams are roughly 70/30 corporate to hard core fan, nashville is still at about 30/70. makes for an atmosphere like it 'used to be' in most places. if you get a chance you should come to a game here someday.

won't take up any more of your time, because i know you guys are focused on looking ahead, as you should be. you guys easily have the best, deepest team left among these four. you should win this thing. i'll certainly be pulling for you as will many nashville people i'm sure. the last two times before you guys, we've been put out by the eventual stanley cup champs, so we should know what it takes,lol. and your team has 'it', they just have to want it enough and get a little puck luck. now go out and represent the west.

best of luck to a group of dedicated fans, maybe we see you guys again next year in the finals.

well, the first two games were just like i thought they'd be. well maybe except the sharks defensive coverage was even worse than i dreamed it might be against your top line guys.

it's not over of course, you guys know that better than anyone. the sharks will come out very hard tomorrow night. and their building is one of the loudest in the league. they'll get energy from their crowd. they're better than what they've shown these first two games, don't forget that.

however. what an opportunity you guys have. go in their place and take this first one in SJ now and they're yours. the sharks are an emotionally fragile team right now, obviously after the way you've gotten them these first two.

jump out ahead early tomorrow, and their wheels just might fall off.

they simply don't have the defensive ability to stop your top guys to be honest. hopefully, your series against us, where you had to work so hard for every goal, is making your team feel like they're playing pond hockey offensively against this group now.

best of luck tomorrow, go out and whip these guys.

well, the first two games were just like i thought they'd be. well maybe except the sharks defensive coverage was even worse than i dreamed it might be against your top line guys.

it's not over of course, you guys know that better than anyone. the sharks will come out very hard tomorrow night. and their building is one of the loudest in the league. they'll get energy from their crowd. they're better than what they've shown these first two games, don't forget that.

however. what an opportunity you guys have. go in their place and take this first one in SJ now and they're yours. the sharks are an emotionally fragile team right now, obviously after the way you've gotten them these first two.

jump out ahead early tomorrow, and their wheels just might fall off.

they simply don't have the defensive ability to stop your top guys to be honest. hopefully, your series against us, where you had to work so hard for every goal, is making your team feel like they're playing pond hockey offensively against this group now.

best of luck tomorrow, go out and whip these guys.

Mr. Pimm, you seem like a very nice person. I've been to Nashville -- it's one of my all time favorite places. It's too bad your team didn't win, but they did pretty well and they'll be back. There certainly wasn't ever the same level of feelings between the Preds and Canucks that I think we're going to see between the Sharks and Canucks. I'm not sure which is better or worse. But one thing is for sure, because of the way the Preds play we never got to see this:

Archived