The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do we have an official announcement on the Wolves yet? I know that it is "obvious" that the new affiliate will be the Wolves but if the official announcement has been delayed I wonder if something else might be in the works -- like Aquillini buying the now unaffiliated Portland team (which could be moved -- next year if not this year) or a last minute deal with Abbotsford. I admit it is all a longshot but I am really hoping for an alternative. As other threads have gone over the Wolves would be a much worse fit than the Moose and obviously it would great to have an affiliate close by. For one thing it would nice to be able to go to a few games to see Canuck prospects play. That would be possible with Abbotsford or a team in Seattle, Victoria, or the Okanagan or the Fraser Valley.

The Wolves just signed a 31 year old centersad.gifhttp://www.chicagowolves.com/releases/2624-wolves-bring-back-doell

God if they are are farm team i hope they give our prospects some decent ice time instead of going for the Cup. I miss the Moose

?

If you think any AHL team will dress a lineup solely consisting of their affiliates prospects you're crazy. All of them sign veteran players like that.

No doubt. I'd actually like to see them bring Krog & Haydar back (Haydar at the very least). Veteran offensive guys will only help our young offensive players.

Rodin-Krog-Haydar

Sweatt-Schroeder-Grenier

Archibald-Friesen-Desbien

Something like that...

Exactly, if it's done right, it can help out the prospects a lot. It's always good to have some competition for ice-time, but you don't want it to get out of hand. I think they'll have their few veteran offensive and role players which will help, and probably a veteran defenseman or two.

The extent to which veteran minor leaguers are used depends on whether the AHL team is independent and has winning (or putting fans in seats) as the primary objective or whether player development for the NHL affiliate is the primary objective. Those are different objectives and may sometimes conflict. The Moose were good. The Wolves would not be good on this dimension.

Young prospects will make more mistakes than veteran minor leaguers. They have more potential but when they improve and make fewer mistakes they get taken away.

I'm sure if the primary objective was to win, and say eff it to the prospects we won't partner up with them. I think you can have a medium there, of course you don't want our prospects sitting in the press box or being demoted to the ECHL just so a bunch of AHL contracts can go for a Calder Cup. There is a fine line, that you have to find, a mix of veterans that can teach the prospects. As veterans are veterans for a reason, like you said they'll have an easier time at first then the prospects.

I'm sure if the primary objective was to win, and say eff it to the prospects we won't partner up with them. I think you can have a medium there, of course you don't want our prospects sitting in the press box or being demoted to the ECHL just so a bunch of AHL contracts can go for a Calder Cup. There is a fine line, that you have to find, a mix of veterans that can teach the prospects. As veterans are veterans for a reason, like you said they'll have an easier time at first then the prospects.

Archived