The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's hard to jump for joy when two of our "top 5" prospects (list is debatable) are goalies. We really lack blue chip defensive/offensive prospects other than Jensen. Although Jensen is most likely going to be a career 2nd line winger unless his development goes better than expected. Hopefully we can refill the cupboard this draft with pieces such as Raymond, Ballard, Luongo.

Connauton's more of a shooter, while Gragnani has better playmaking ability. Both could turn out to be quite good, or just ok. It depends how their defensive game develops for how useful they are at the NHL level.

Connauton had 56 points over his first 2 seasons in the AHL whereas Granani had 103. Gragnani's last full year he had 60 points in 63 games and was +22. I'd have to go with Granani although Connauton has a higher ceiling due to his rocket of a slap shot and physical edge.

gragnani is very underrated i could see him being our top scoring defenseman next year if he plays up to his potential and gets 1st pp minutes. You dont get 50+point seasons in the AHL by accident as a defenseman.

Grags just needs to take that next step and become an everyday defenseman who can play 18-20minutes and not be a liability defensively he does everything else quite well. (size,speed,shot,passing)

Shea Weber!

that being said,

What did a 25 year old Gragnani do that was impressive while he was getting his RFA games in?

Tanev is far and away our best D prospect and he's going to be a very steady top 4 d-man for us in the future.

Shea Weber!

that being said,

What did a 25 year old Gragnani do that was impressive while he was getting his RFA games in?

Tanev is far and away our best D prospect and he's going to be a very steady top 4 d-man for us in the future.

My feel is that Connauton is a tough competitor compared to most NHL'rs. This is not to say Gragnani is not, but that Connauton is significant in that way. I don't have a lot of faith in either of their defensive games, so that said I don't have much confidence in either of them. However, because I sense that Connauton can compete, I think he could dial in his focus and really contribute for this team.

Hmmm Schroeder ahead of Jensen? You have to admit, Jensen's first run with the Wolves was extremely impressive. To be honest, overall he did better then Hodgson and or Schroeder as rookies in the AHL and Jensen is younger.

I'm not really sold on Schroeder ever being a full time NHL player. He is smart, fast and crafty, but he's not even dominating enough to be even considered a to 6 player in the NHL, but as expected when we drafted him, he's a risky player, and I will not be surprised if he never makes the NHL.

It's hard to jump for joy when two of our "top 5" prospects (list is debatable) are goalies. We really lack blue chip defensive/offensive prospects other than Jensen. Although Jensen is most likely going to be a career 2nd line winger unless his development goes better than expected. Hopefully we can refill the cupboard this draft with pieces such as Raymond, Ballard, Luongo.

Forget about Gragnani, the guy is going to be a career AHLer. The fact that Gillis asked for him to try and make the trade look more even was kind of pointless.

I would rather build up Connauton into all that he can be, instead of wasting minutes on a guy AV used to coach and that he thinks can be an all star.

No more fringe defencemen please.

gragnani.....if only we could put a choke chain on him

with some more nhl experience and video he should be quarterbacking the 2nd unit pp

connauton should be only be brought up for full time when he is ready to pop.....sign 8 nhl defensemen and then have connauton as the wild card, dont give him a spot on the team. you can never be 100% sure he is ready for the nhl so have 8 nhl defensemen as a back up

Connauton. I think Gragnani is a lost hope, and as some others has pointined, Career AHLer. Not saying the same might not happen to Connauton, but when I saw him play in pre season he looked real good. Not sure what happened to him, Gragnani was apparently very good in the 1st round against Philladelphia. Despite being a plus 10, hey was healthy scratch for a long time, and couldn't even crack Buffalo's top 6 defence. Now we know why he was scratched for such a long time. We can only hope, he develops his game, but it's not looking too good.

Connauton. I think Gragnani is a lost hope, and as some others has pointined, Career AHLer. Not saying the same might not happen to Connauton, but when I saw him play in pre season he looked real good. Not sure what happened to him, Gragnani was apparently very good in the 1st round against Philladelphia. Despite being a plus 10, hey was healthy scratch for a long time, and couldn't even crack Buffalo's top 6 defence. Now we know why he was scratched for such a long time. We can only hope, he develops his game, but it's not looking too good.

Gragnani should be called up to play wing for the Twins; he's always in position to play tap the puck behind the net with Hank!

:rolleyes:

More seriously; its gotta be up to pre-season & camp performance. I dont see both making the team as both are small, although KC is a tough nut, and we are small enough already. Will KC's puck handling & big shot prove a better chemistry than Grag's passing and roaming game? In different ways, both are compelling at the offensive end. Who will get to the puck & move it at the defensive end, prove that he can compete against the bigger forwards on the boards & in front of the net? Thats the bigger question; whomever wins that battle is the more likely winner.

My money would be on Connauton. As some have pointed out, at 21 he's more likely to see growth and physically mature. To me he plays a harder game, always influential with AV. But I could easily be wrong?

And an edge goes to Connauton if Salo retires, for playing the right side.

I have heard these are 2 promising offensive minded Defencemen

I have not seen either of these 2 play much

Maybe some of You have seen them play or have an Opinion?

For those who do

Which do You think may be the Better Defenceman in the Future?

Archived