The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not going to comment on higher ranked players because it remains to be seen if the Canucks will acquire a higher pick. With the pick they currently have, I would love for them to draft Tomas Hertl from the Czech Republic. The Canucks really need a future potential #1 centre to replace Henrik Sedin and it is my opinion that the best kind of #1 centres are playmakers. Hertl is described as a playmaking forward whose best attributes are his ice awareness and, naturally, his ability to make plays. He's got pretty decent size as well, as he's currently 6'2" and 198 pounds. He played pretty well on the international stage, tying for the scoring lead for Team Czech Republic at the World Juniors (5 points in 6 games).

Alright, this is my final list of prospects I believe that we should draft if available to us (Hypothetical goalie trade scenarios included):

1a. Ryan Murray (If we get Columbus' Pick)

1b. Filip Forsberg (^)

2a. Alex Galchenyuk (^)

2b. Mikhail Grigorenko (^)

3. Morgan Rielly (If we get Tampa's Pick)

4. Griffin Reinhart (^)

5. Olli Maatta (^)

6. Ludvig Bystrom (With our own pick)

7. Dalton Thrower (^)

8a. Colton Sissons (^)

8b. Mark Jankowski (^)

9. Brady Skjei

10a. Tom Wilson

10b. Tim Bozon

10c. Scott Laughton

Edit: 1000th Post! I have no life! :frantic::frantic:B)

I disagree with the rankings, but not everyone is as educated about our prospects. we don't have a bunch of "big names" or "sure things" but we have a whole lot more potential than a lot of teams higher than us on each of those lists.

Well since the 2005 draft, the Canucks only hold onto the rights of two first round selections. Hard to build a prospect pool when you trade away your first round selections for immediate help. And that's understandable considering the circumstances and the limited window the Canucks to win a Cup. I don't think you can blame your scouts as they have done alright considering what was available.

It is important to remember that we have been, more or less, a winning team since 2001. A couple non playoff games in there over 11 or 12 years, but that means generally we have been picking late each year. There is a world of difference between a first overall pick and a 23rd overall pick.

Hardly surprised given how well the Canucks have been doing in the last few years. We have also had a few of our top prospects graduate in Cory Schneider and what was Cody Hodgson. Not really the scouts fault at all.

It is important to remember that we have been, more or less, a winning team since 2001. A couple non playoff games in there over 11 or 12 years, but that means generally we have been picking late each year. There is a world of difference between a first overall pick and a 23rd overall pick.

noboby panned out in the 2000 draft, 2002 draft, nobody left from the 2006 draft ( grabner traded), no-one panned from the 2007...

considering you get 2 players in the top 60, if not the top 100 in the world each year, you would think we could pull one hit out of 7 each year..

Chicago, Detroit, Rangers, are all in the top 16, Penguins and Flyers are 21 and 23...

The rankings are fair. They're looking for prospects with high ceilings. Generally, worse teams with higher picks have more bluechip talents in their system and that's what will get the organization a higher ranking. The Canucks don't really have many blue chippers in their system but at the same time many of their prospects stand a great chance at making some sort of impact at the NHL level. That's fine with me, until the team's core gets older and they're in need of a fresh dose of elite talent.

I really hate that Grabner got traded. Nonis got a lot of heat for that pick at first but he turned out to be a pretty dynamic player and would look so good in a Canucks uniform right now, especially because he was drafted and developed by the organization. He was starting to look really promising as Kesler's scoring RW.

The i

I disagree with the rankings, but not everyone is as educated about our prospects. we don't have a bunch of "big names" or "sure things" but we have a whole lot more potential than a lot of teams higher than us on each of those lists.

We have prospects that are going to develop over time while finishing their college degrees. We are a successful team and can afford to have our prospects go through that process instead of rushing them into our lineup. Some people may see this non-immediate impact as poor players when in reality, college players these days are getting better and better. I am excited to see Labate and McNally after they have finished their college degrees. Price could be an interesting player. We have underrated players as well in Friesen and Corrado who are solid prospects that many just don't know too much about. I also believe our goaltending prospect depth is quite possibly one of the best in the league.

I would definitely like to see the era when our Gillis-drafted prospects are developed enough to start making the Canucks.

Archived