The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

mynhldraft.com has us taking scott laughton at 26th. id love MG if we could get thrower (24), but sissons (28) and samuelsson (29) even look pretty good. MND has derrick pouliot down at 23rd, i wonder if we could steal him. looking at projected 2nd rounders, di giuseppe (31) frk (34), and pearson (39) look pretty good too, hell maybe even MG's nephew adam pelech (41)

Craig MacTavish departs Chicago Wolves organization

Monday, 11.06.2012 / 12:01 PM / News

Vancouver Canucks

mact_sm.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that Craig MacTavish will leave his role as Head Coach of the Canucks American Hockey League affiliate, the Chicago Wolves to pursue other opportunities.

“Craig brought a tremendous amount of experience and expertise as Head Coach of the Wolves this past season,” said Mike Gillis. “We were pleased to have him as a member of our organization and wish him continued success in the future.”

MacTavish, 53, was the eighth Head Coach in Wolves franchise history and helped lead the club to a 42-27-4 record and a fourth Midwest Division Championship since joining the AHL.

When Gillis came aboard he talked and talked about our drafting, everyone thought Ron Delorme should have been fired, but wait!!!

Hold the presses

Not only did he not fire Ron Delorme, he kept him as chief scout and the mismanagement of draft picks continued!!!!

We drafted Yann Sauve in the second round!!!

He will never be more than a fringe NHLer if that!

Etem Emerson was not even on our radar, we traded the pick for Ballard- holy crap!! Etem Emerson is scoring at a rate of 2PPG!!!!

David Honzik- what a bust!!!

He keeps trading picks!

Dong trade picks idiot, because then you can't draft!

Was Paulsson really worth2 4th rounders, we played like 20 games for us and you font intend on resigning him!!!

Tips:

Hold on to your picks

Get a new chief scout, get ANA chris scout, triple his salary and bring him over

Fire Delorme, even if he has pictures of you with hookers

Rant done

I'm out

AV stays and so does Schneider.

Luongo and his big contract go to Florida or TB (where his family still lives) giving us cap space to sign BC boy Weber to a big inflated contract for 5 years.

Eddie Lack becomes our back up and makes league minimum for two years.

Huge Luongo supporter, always have been. Very sad at the prospect of him leaving but with Schneider and Lack the goalie tandem gets younger and way less expensive.

Too early to grade on how Gillis' drafting, but I'd say he's done pretty well so far...even though he was traded, Hodgson was a good pick and will be a solid player, Jensen looks like a solid pick, Schroeder is looking good for a mid 20 overall pick...But facing the facts the Canucks have never had very much drafting success. There have been good players, can't overlook that. Kesler, Sedins, Ohlund, Edler, Schneider, etc, but as a whole, drafting has never worked well for Vancouver.

I don't understand why Delorme is still here...I really don't. You look at what teams like Detroit and Montreal have done in later rounds and you see that it is very possible to draft better. I don't have an inside track on what goes on in the scouting meetings so I can't really say Delorme should go or not, but from the surface..from the outside...it doesn't look great.

Patrick Sieloff is a rather undervalued defenseman playing with the USNTDP and committed to Miami(Ohio) that I would love to snag in the second round. I hope the focus is on OHL and college bound players, not because I have a preference there, but because our scouting seems strongest in those areas.

http://hockey.dobber...tley&Itemid=117

With a nickname like “Boo” you would think people might have second thoughts about you. Well that is definitely not the case for Cristoval Nieves. A nickname that his parents gave him as a youth, this young hockey prodigy has been drawing NHL scouts over the hills and to the woods of New England rinks for the last two seasons.

The Baldwinsville, NY native has been honing his game under the watchful eye of former NHLer and Michigan Wolverine alum, Matt Herr, at the Kent School (CT). Nieves is set to embark on his collegiate career this fall in Ann Arbor under legendary coach Red Berenson (the same coach Herr played for in the mid-late ‘90s and won two NCAA national titles).

There have been questions if Nieves made the proper decision for his career by returning to 25-game schedule of his prep school. But the decision paid off, as Nieves jumped up four positions on the Central Scouting Services (CSS) rankings from the mid-term point in January to their final grades in April. Nieves was originally slotted in at 31st but impressed enough scouts to find himself inside the top 30 for North American skaters (he was ranked 27th). This may be a bit of a surprise after a sub-par season by Nieves’ standards – he scored just four goals in 18 games, along with 25 assists.

All along Nieves knew going back to Kent for his senior year would pay dividends, as Herr followed the same path in his own career at the Hotchkiss School (CT), and of course at Michigan. Nieves has remarked that Kent would take his game to the next level with superior coaching.

What scouts and coaches are drawn to in his game is his skating ability. Standing at 6-3 and 185 pounds, Nieves still has that explosiveness in his stride along with being very agile and balanced. He plays a strong and physical game along the boards which is something he has developed in his tenure at Kent. The vision, playmaking, creativity, and hockey sense are aspects that have been there since the younger days with the Syracuse Stars.

Nieves made a good choice in joining the Indiana Ice of the United States Hockey League (USHL) back in March for a few weeks to please scouts. In a league which is considered a step up from the New England prep circuit, Nieves managed to post respectable numbers in 13 games played – two goals and 10 points.

Knowing that Yost Arena would be his home in the fall, Nieves went back to Kent to finish out his schooling to be on track for graduation.

Some have compared his game to Joe Thornton, while Nieves himself prides himself on the play of current New Jersey Devil star, Zach Parise. If Nieves continues on his current path of hard-nosed style, utilizing his quickness in skating and shot release, “Boo” may find himself playing for Lord Stanley someday too.

That's the difference between a good scouting team and a bad one. Look at Anaheim in the last five years with their low 1st rounders and later rounds. Etem, Tangardi, Smith-Pelly, Palmieri, Jake Gardiner, Justin Schultz. Those guys are putting better numbers than the many of the players drafted in the top 15 in their respected year. The core of your team relies on drafted good in the later rounds since you really only get a first round pick a year.... Look at our core for next year based on 2004 draft: Schiender (late first), Edler (3rd round), Hansen (9th round) .

^ they would probably be ranked around where we are if they didn't trade away Charlie Coyle. The other 1st round pick they had in the last 5 years is Logan Couture and he's not a prospect anymore. They did pick up Freddie Hamilton in the 3rd round who is putting better numbers up any of our current prospects in the CHL.

Would like to see Sweatt get a few more games this year, and I think Sauve might be able to take Alberts' job already if I didn't think he'd be better served developing in the AHL.

Schroeder will definitely get his shot, but after Kesler returns who knows if he'll be sent down? it all depends on whether we acquire a 3C this offseason.

It is important to remember that we have been, more or less, a winning team since 2001. A couple non playoff games in there over 11 or 12 years, but that means generally we have been picking late each year. There is a world of difference between a first overall pick and a 23rd overall pick.

Archived