The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

b3.

Connauton or Granani  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've liked everything I've seen from Jensen so far and think if guys like Henrique can explode from their rookie season, so can Jensen. Schroeder was even outplayed by Jensen last pre-season and even in the AHL, so I think it might be a bit of time before we see Schroeder in the NHL.

Here's what I hope to see at some point in the season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Jensen - Malhotra - Hansen

Kassian - Lapierre - Bitz

With say a Raymond injury. To start the season though, why not go with this:

Sedin - Sedin - Booth

Higgins - Lapierre - Burrows

Hansen - Schroeder - Raymond

Kassian - Malhotra - Bitz

Guest Dasein

I've liked everything I've seen from Jensen so far and think if guys like Henrique can explode from their rookie season, so can Jensen. Schroeder was even outplayed by Jensen last pre-season and even in the AHL, so I think it might be a bit of time before we see Schroeder in the NHL.

No Schroeder. The guy is a long way from being NHL ready. He is too small to be of any value on a checking line, and he simply doesn't have the skill set to be on one of our scoring lines. 44 points in 76 games in the AHL for a purely offensive player shows that he would not be able to handle the tougher competition in the NHL yet.

No Schroeder. The guy is a long way from being NHL ready. He is too small to be of any value on a checking line, and he simply doesn't have the skill set to be on one of our scoring lines. 44 points in 76 games in the AHL for a purely offensive player shows that he would not be able to handle the tougher competition in the NHL yet.

Please don't just judge someone's play on stats.

Schroeder is ready for an NHL role, it's just a question of we should keep him down there for more experience.

I watched him quite a bit this year and he was a threat almost every night. It's really his linemates that wouldn't capitalize.

Schroeder is ready for an NHL role, it's just a question of we should keep him down there for more experience.

I watched him quite a bit this year and he was a threat almost every night. It's really his linemates that wouldn't capitalize.

I watched him too, and even though he may make the team soon, he is nowhere near ready to be on the Canucks. His defensive play is suspect, and his offensive skills need a little more work. Add that on to the fact he is so small, and I can't imagine him having any real success for the Canucks next year.

His size is small, but his work ethic is bugger than most. At the start of the season he struggled, but then he worked with MacT and he turned him around. Schreoder was questioned about his play not for his skill, but for the lack of trying.

I remember reading somewhere that the game was a bore for him because he thought it was to easy, and like I said you have to give credit to MacT for turning that around.

At the half way point he was a ppg player, and consistently the Wolves best all around forward.

He's great on the forecheck and in his own zone.

give schroeder a shot on the second at the beginning of the season. his game suits the second line and having solid linemates would help him along. once kesler returns, i see schroeder in chicago again. best bet for the spots that are open now will be free agent signings.

also it's been a known fact for awhile jensen wont be eligible for AHL next season, so just stop. look for him to get a couple games only after a strong training camp and a spot opens up from injury or roster juggling.

The jump from the AHL is extremely difficult for smaller players. Small forwards regularly dominate in the AHL, such as Chris Bourque, Jason Krog, Keith Aucoin, etc. and almost always find that their success in the AHL does not transfer into the NHL. All 3 of those players play a similar style to Schroeder, have tremendous work ethic, and are more skilled than Schroeder is right now, and none of them can keep a full-time NHL job. Typically they come up, and just cannot handle the increased size and strength of the players, and it kills their ability to forecheck and defend, taking away a huge portion of their game. Even if he does play in the NHL for any period of time this year, I doubt he will play well enough to stay and will be sent back down.

Schroeder is nothing like the Chris Bourques and Keith Aucoins of the world. They might be a little more skilled than him but at least he has a well-rounded 2-way game, something that the other AHL stars don't, and that already gives him a leg up on them. Then when they get called up they find they can't score as much and they have no defensive game to speak of to fall back on, hence they get sent back down. Schroeder's defensive play could already earn him trust from AV that Mancari never got for this reason. Just because they have failed doesn't mean that all undersized skill forwards are destined to be career AHL'ers.

Comparing the two is silly. One is a highly skilled playmaker who played well in the juniors, captained a World Junior Team (although they didn't win, and had little hope to begin with) and the other is a decently skilled grinder who had little development oppurtunity before being thrust into an NHL role. Two quality, young players with greatly differing experiences.

I've seen a few mock drafts that have Slater Koekkoek still around when we pick due to his injury. I would love it if we were to take him with our first round pick. I don't think he'll still be available but if he is, I seriously hope we take advantage.

Schroeder's defensive play is suspect? Credibility gone.

Watching 70+ Wolves games this season, there is in no way you can come to this conclusion. You want to bring previous years into this and want to ignore his progression this season, that's fine. It's your choice. But where he was at the end of his season with the Moose and where he is now with the Wolves are completely different.

His defensive game is very good, his zone coverage and support for his D and wingers are the key. He back-checks hard, and if AHL had advanced stats, he'd definitely be on the positive side of the takeaway-giveaway stat. He was used on the 2nd PK throughout the year and did well there. He often won the foot races to those pucks and got the clear. Also, on the PK, he is used as the high forward to forecheck and more than a few times, he pressured the puck so well, he played keep away with defenders to kill the clock.

If you want to fault him for anything, its not his defensive game or even his size. It's being more assertive with the puck in the off zone and his faceoffs, which did get better, but i still think it's below average for the NHL.

http://www.chicagowo...ing-back-davies

The Chicago Wolves have re-signed forward Michael Davies.

DAVIES tallied 11 goals, 12 assists, and 23 points in 53 games with the Wolves last season during his second professional campaign. He also ranked second on the squad with a +13 plus/minus rating and was a plus or even rating in 46 of his 53 tilts.

The 25-year-old forward also skated in all five of Chicago’s 2012 Calder Cup playoff contests, posting one assist.

The Chesterfield, Mo., native has appeared in 102 games with the Wolves since turning pro in 2010 and has amassed 19 goals, 24 assists and 43 points. He also skated in eight games with the ECHL’s Gwinnett Gladiators in 2010-11, recording seven points (2G, 5A).

DAVIES made his American Hockey League debut in three playoff games with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers during the 2010 Calder Cup playoffs, following the conclusion of his senior campaign with the University of Wisconsin (WCHA). He registered 54 goals, 69 assists, 123 points, and 122 penalty minutes in 155 games with the Badgers spanning four seasons (2006-10).

In accordance with team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Archived