Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

Speculation

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

Poll: Connauton or Granani (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Which defenceman has more upside,or do You think will be a more valuable Defenceman in the future ?

1. 22 yr old Connauton (167 votes [84.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.34%

2. 25 yr old Gragnani (31 votes [15.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1051 Grags2Kass

Grags2Kass

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Why is dalton thrower ranked so poorly? I figured he would be ranked 10-20, what's wrong with his game?
Posted Image

#1052 Nuckswillwinitall

Nuckswillwinitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Jensen, Lack as backup, and MacT as coach

#1053 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:56 AM

Depends how much work our prospects put in this summer.

Tanev will stick with the team.
Kassian & Shroeder too, if they have a good camp.

Jensen might surprise (I think he gets 9, then sent down)

#1054 Cannucker

Cannucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Tanev will stick with the team but he is not ready for top 4 minutes. Biggest need is a top four defenceman. I know Wideman is on a few people's wishlists but no, this guy is a floater and watching the caps games he makes some poor decisions.

#1055 Nuckswillwinitall

Nuckswillwinitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Shroeder I like, but the guy is way too small. We need bigger and stronger with fast and skill.

#1056 S N Y P E R S 7

S N Y P E R S 7

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

Why is dalton thrower ranked so poorly? I figured he would be ranked 10-20, what's wrong with his game?

There is competition to think about. Much "Bigger" media attractions, and Thrower kinda goes under the radar compared to them. Hell, I don't even think Dalty has a youtube compilation!

logo.jpg

#1057 krazykyle19

krazykyle19

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

Nashville works off an internal cap hit and if I am correct has to sign suter and rinne this offseason. While technically yes they can match, logically they won't be able to match just anything if they value suter more. This would certainly be a telltale sign though. On one hand you give weber an offer sheet with big numbers Nashville matches and cannot afford suter then gillis signs suter. I'd be ok with that too.

Rinne is under contract until 2019 and they have 32 million in cap space next year...... they can pretty much match anything and still sign suter.

#1058 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

No Lappy? No Kassian?

I think, barring a huge offseason, Kassian starts with the Wolves. Outside of his first 2-3 games with the Canucks, he looked out of place and not NHL-ready. But we'll see if he comes out flying in preseason.

zuhwS.gif

#1059 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

For the casual fan, #5 may be a surprise but I have been incredibly high on this guy for a couple of years. I agree with the entire list.
From Angus:
Delivering the Sauce: Top-10 Canucks Prospects (Part I)

angus_j
May 03 2012 07:33AM

Posted Image

The majority of Vancouver’s top prospects have wrapped up their 2011- 12 campaigns. The organizational depth in goal is stronger than it has been at any point in franchise history, and there are some intriguing names both on defense and at forward too. How does the Canucks prospect group stack up heading in to the offseason? In Part one of this two part look at the organization’s best, I’ll reveal my top five.
To clarify, my cut-off for prospects is 50 NHL games of experience for skaters, and 25 games of NHL experience for goaltenders. I took many factors into consideration – risk and reward, the estimated time of arrival, potential fit on the 2012-13 roster, and more.
5. Joe Cannata
  • Position: G
  • 2011-12: Merrimack (NCAA)
  • Upside: Starting goaltender
  • ETA: 2015-16
Cannata helped put the Merrimack hockey program on the map all by himself. He’s likely going to follow a similar developmental path of fellow college goalie Cory Schneider, and the similarities don’t end there. Like Schneider, Cannata is known for his mental toughness and technical proficiency between the pipes. He will most likely back up Lack, or a veteran AHL tender, in Chicago next year, and he may never even suit up for the Canucks in a regular season game, as the talent ahead of him on the depth chart is tremendous. However, he is one of the better goalie prospects in the league, and is well-deserving of the fifth spot on the organizational depth chart.
4. Kevin Connauton
  • Position: D
  • 2011-12: Chicago (AHL)
  • Upside: Second-pairing defenseman
  • ETA: 2013-14
Connauton’s defensive game is still a work in progress, but he has improved dramatically in his play away from the puck since turning professional two seasons ago. His game has improved in particular under Craig MacTavish. MacTavish has encouraged Connauton to employ his strengths (skating and shooting) while shoring up his weaknesses. The Canucks have several offensive prospects on the back end (including college standout Patrick McNally, recent OHL Defenseman of the Year finalist Frank Corrado), but Connauton is the closest to NHL action.
3. Jordan Schroeder
  • Position: C
  • 2011-12: Chicago (AHL)
  • Upside: Second Line Centre
  • ETA: First call up in 2012-13
The skilled American pivot has been tried unsuccessfully on the wing. If he makes it as an NHLer, it will be up the middle or not at all. His numbers improved considerably in his sophomore AHL campaign – 10 goals to 21, and 28 points to 44, but he still has yet to ‘dominate’ at the AHL level, something that the Canucks were hoping for. Schroeder's play both with and without the puck has improved considerably.
I wrote a piece on Schroeder back in February, and my thought process remains the same – he is NHL ready.
2. Nicklas Jensen
  • Position: RW
  • 2011-12: Oshawa (OHL)
  • Upside: Top-line Playmaker
  • ETA:2013-2014
Jensen’s strong preseason and training camp last fall were a bit of a surprise to many. I guess Canucks fans have gotten used to the team's prospects disappointing each fall. But Jensen didn’t look out of place against NHL competition, using his size, strength, and vision to create several offensive opportunities.
The Canucks aren’t in a position where they need to rush him, but he may force their hand with another strong training camp. Jensen thrived in the AHL after getting the call up for the end of the season (including a hat trick in the final regular season game). Why?

“It's a different, it's quicker and it's more grown up professional hockey than you see in the OHL. There, you still see some junior guys running around and chasing the puck a little bit too much. Over here, it's more system. I like this style; it suits me a little better.”

With a strong camp, he could push for a roster spot this fall. It is more likely that he spends another year in the OHL before making the jump to the pro game, though.
1. Eddie Lack
  • Position: G
  • 2011-12: Chicago
  • Upside: Starting goaltender
  • ETA: 2013-14 (as a backup)
The Canucks signed the 6,7 Lack as a free agent out of Sweden, and his adjustment to the North American game has been exceptionally quick. For the past two seasons, he has been one of the best goaltenders in the AHL. He is big and mobile, and his weaknesses are few. There are mixed opinions on how ready Lack is. Chicago GM Wendell Young thinks he could be in the NHL as early as 2012-13. Chicago captain Nolan Baumgartner, on the other hand, has a different opinion:

““He’s probably a year or possibly two away. He still has some learning to do and there’s no better place than the AHL. To go and back up somebody, I think it would be detrimental for him to be sitting on the bench most of the year and not get in games.”

Who knows… in six or seven years we could be kicking Cory Schneider off to replace a 40-year-old Roberto Luongo in Tampa Bay, clearing space for Lack to come in and start. Kidding aside, Lack is going to be a very good NHL goaltender in the not-too-distant future.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#1060 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

POPULAR

I think Jensen will make the team before Schroeder.

#1061 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

I doubt Schroeder will ever make the NHL full-time playing for the Canucks.

Connauton is still more than a few seasons removed from being NHL ready.

While I believe Jensen is fully capable of making the NHL next season I think he might also benefit from a full season playing with the Wolves. That said, if a player as useless as Kassian was last season is NHL ready than Jensen should be our number one contender for making the top 6 out of training camp.

Lack is more than NHL ready, but I think the situation has more to do with if the team can sort out the Luongo-Schneider issue.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 03 May 2012 - 10:21 AM.

#1062 Grags2Kass

Grags2Kass

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

I doubt Schroeder will ever make the NHL full-time playing for the Canucks.

What makes you think that?
Posted Image

#1063 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

What makes you think that?

Where does he play? 3rd line Centre?..... No. Top six winger? Definitely not

#1064 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

Where does he play? 3rd line Centre?..... No. Top six winger? Definitely not

If you follow the wolves you would know that Mac T uses Schroeder on the wing now.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#1065 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,794 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

If you follow the wolves you would know that Mac T uses Schroeder on the wing now.

then the OP got it wrong too

Play Clash on Clans on your phone? Join the CDC Clan "happycanuck".

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#1066 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

The author says that Schroeder has yet to dominate at the AHL level and can only play centre and then in his closing statement, he says that Schroeder is NHL ready?
It sounds more like wishful thinking than fact.

#1067 bronski beat

bronski beat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

wow kassian is not on the list?

#1068 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Stefan Matteau

Thomas Wilson

Colton Sissons

Scott Kosmachuk
Posted Image

#1069 I am Score

I am Score

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:51 PM

He's in the NHL, not really a prospect
http://www.evgenimalkin.net/gallery/evgeni-malkin-wallpaper-6.jpg

#1070 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

I hate these list because there's just no way to categorize any of these players. Are they ranked based on NHL potential or NHL readiness? cause i like Corrado and McNally way more than Kevin Connauton in terms with potential. I never liked Kevin Connauton. Though, admittedly, I didn't like Subban before he was in the NHL, and he's doing just fine.

Edited by Rey, 03 May 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#1071 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Posted Image

:lol:

Posted Image

#1072 kesler'sselke

kesler'sselke

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

so two of our top five are goalies and we got 2 number 1 goalies in the NHL right now.. our goalie tending will be great for years to come but we really lack some game controlling defense prospect and game changing forward prospect ( Jensen is a great forward prospect but he is not a game changer)

#1073 VAN_FAN_MATT

VAN_FAN_MATT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

He's in the NHL, not really a prospect

Kassian is a 20 year old first year pro, he's still a prospect.

#1074 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

kassian was crap last year :sick:
didn't do anything but throw huge sh!t at people :picard:

Edited by lappy40, 03 May 2012 - 04:13 PM.

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#1075 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

If you follow the Wolves, you'll see that Jensen, a rookie to the AHL, had four goals in his first six AHL games, then followed that up with 2 more in his first two AHL playoff games. With Jensen's size and NHL style of play, he will be a top six player on the Canucks before Schroeder or Kassian. Schroeder will have to get past all of Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, and Raymond on skill - it ain't happening - he has not yet done in the AHL in terms of production, what they have done in the NHL. Jensen brings an element only one of the other top six Canuck forwards brings - size, grit and skill. All you had to do was look at how Jensen played with other NHL players in spring training this past season - he thinks like an NHLer on offence. You can't teach goal scoring, size, or grit - all of which he has in abundance - you can teach defence. If Schroeder gets a shot, it will only be to showcase him.

#1076 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Kassian is a 20 year old first year pro, he's still a prospect.

But does he make the top five list? I don't see how.

#1077 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

If you follow the Wolves, you'll see that Jensen, a rookie to the AHL, had four goals in his first six AHL games, then followed that up with 2 more in his first two AHL playoff games. With Jensen's size and NHL style of play, he will be a top six player on the Canucks before Schroeder or Kassian. Schroeder will have to get past all of Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Hansen, and Raymond on skill - it ain't happening - he has not yet done in the AHL in terms of production, what they have done in the NHL. Jensen brings an element only one of the other top six Canuck forwards brings - size, grit and skill. All you had to do was look at how Jensen played with other NHL players in spring training this past season - he thinks like an NHLer on offence. You can't teach goal scoring, size, or grit - all of which he has in abundance - you can teach defence. If Schroeder gets a shot, it will only be to showcase him.

If you notice, Schroeder had 9 points in 11 games in his first year with the Moose and 3g 3a in 6 games in the playoffs.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#1078 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

So Schroeder will play 4th line wing? I don't think so.

#1079 DJ Kreuzberg

DJ Kreuzberg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Absolutely incorrect. I watched 70+ games of the Wolves this season. I count only a handful times where he was on the wing and i could even tell you those games as i write down the lines every game. It was when he was placed with Mancari at center, which ended up as a very unsuccessful experiment for both players. And that was in October/November. He was placed at center after that and has never changed back, firstly because he just plays better there and the Wolves lacked centerman as time wore on due to injuries.

He played center and thats his strength.

Edited by DJ Kreuzberg, 03 May 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#1080 ba;;isticsports

ba;;isticsports

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:32 PM

I have heard these are 2 promising offensive minded Defencemen

I have not seen either of these 2 play much
Maybe some of You have seen them play or have an Opinion?

For those who do
Which do You think may be the Better Defenceman in the Future?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.