Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

Speculation

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

Poll: Connauton or Granani (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Which defenceman has more upside,or do You think will be a more valuable Defenceman in the future ?

1. 22 yr old Connauton (167 votes [84.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.34%

2. 25 yr old Gragnani (31 votes [15.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1081 Honeydew

Honeydew

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

KCon younger has more time to develop.
Posted Image

#1082 Z. Kassian

Z. Kassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

It's hard to jump for joy when two of our "top 5" prospects (list is debatable) are goalies. We really lack blue chip defensive/offensive prospects other than Jensen. Although Jensen is most likely going to be a career 2nd line winger unless his development goes better than expected. Hopefully we can refill the cupboard this draft with pieces such as Raymond, Ballard, Luongo.
Posted Image

#1083 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,819 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Connauton's more of a shooter, while Gragnani has better playmaking ability. Both could turn out to be quite good, or just ok. It depends how their defensive game develops for how useful they are at the NHL level.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1084 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

with a 99MPH shot ill say KC

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#1085 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

I don't know, I really like them both, Grags is better right now but Connauton could be better in the future, then again so could Grags.

Too tough to chose, tie.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 03 May 2012 - 10:54 PM.

zackass.png

#1086 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

Connauton had 56 points over his first 2 seasons in the AHL whereas Granani had 103. Gragnani's last full year he had 60 points in 63 games and was +22. I'd have to go with Granani although Connauton has a higher ceiling due to his rocket of a slap shot and physical edge.
Sig too big.

#1087 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:32 PM

gragnani is very underrated i could see him being our top scoring defenseman next year if he plays up to his potential and gets 1st pp minutes. You dont get 50+point seasons in the AHL by accident as a defenseman.

Grags just needs to take that next step and become an everyday defenseman who can play 18-20minutes and not be a liability defensively he does everything else quite well. (size,speed,shot,passing)

#1088 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

Shea Weber!
that being said,
What did a 25 year old Gragnani do that was impressive while he was getting his RFA games in?

Tanev is far and away our best D prospect and he's going to be a very steady top 4 d-man for us in the future.

Edited by rawkdrummer, 03 May 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#1089 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Shea Weber

:lol:
I love how Weber's name somehow manages to enter almost every thread.

#1090 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

Shea Weber!
that being said,
What did a 25 year old Gragnani do that was impressive while he was getting his RFA games in?

Tanev is far and away our best D prospect and he's going to be a very steady top 4 d-man for us in the future.

tanev is good. glad he got the spot and hes shown that he earned it. grags is pretty bad right now... just look at the games he played while he was with us..

#1091 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

My feel is that Connauton is a tough competitor compared to most NHL'rs. This is not to say Gragnani is not, but that Connauton is significant in that way. I don't have a lot of faith in either of their defensive games, so that said I don't have much confidence in either of them. However, because I sense that Connauton can compete, I think he could dial in his focus and really contribute for this team.

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#1092 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

Don't sleep on MAG. He just got traded so he should be judged by next season, not the few games this year. I see him being a valuable guy next season.

#1093 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:03 AM

McNally is definitely in our top 5. Unfortunately there's not enough coverage on the guy, so people don't realize how good he is.

He's one of the best defenceman in collegiate hockey at the moment.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1094 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hmmm Schroeder ahead of Jensen? You have to admit, Jensen's first run with the Wolves was extremely impressive. To be honest, overall he did better then Hodgson and or Schroeder as rookies in the AHL and Jensen is younger.

I'm not really sold on Schroeder ever being a full time NHL player. He is smart, fast and crafty, but he's not even dominating enough to be even considered a to 6 player in the NHL, but as expected when we drafted him, he's a risky player, and I will not be surprised if he never makes the NHL.

It's hard to jump for joy when two of our "top 5" prospects (list is debatable) are goalies. We really lack blue chip defensive/offensive prospects other than Jensen. Although Jensen is most likely going to be a career 2nd line winger unless his development goes better than expected. Hopefully we can refill the cupboard this draft with pieces such as Raymond, Ballard, Luongo.

I think Zack Kassian is still considered a "prospect" Hockeysfuture has yet do a re rating on our players yet, but if they did, Zack Kassian will probably be number 2.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord, 04 May 2012 - 12:16 AM.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1095 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

POPULAR

Forget about Gragnani, the guy is going to be a career AHLer. The fact that Gillis asked for him to try and make the trade look more even was kind of pointless.

I would rather build up Connauton into all that he can be, instead of wasting minutes on a guy AV used to coach and that he thinks can be an all star.

No more fringe defencemen please.

Posted Image

#1096 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

gragnani.....if only we could put a choke chain on him

with some more nhl experience and video he should be quarterbacking the 2nd unit pp

connauton should be only be brought up for full time when he is ready to pop.....sign 8 nhl defensemen and then have connauton as the wild card, dont give him a spot on the team. you can never be 100% sure he is ready for the nhl so have 8 nhl defensemen as a back up

Edited by billabong, 04 May 2012 - 12:18 AM.

Posted Image

#1097 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,573 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

Connauton. I think Gragnani is a lost hope, and as some others has pointined, Career AHLer. Not saying the same might not happen to Connauton, but when I saw him play in pre season he looked real good. Not sure what happened to him, Gragnani was apparently very good in the 1st round against Philladelphia. Despite being a plus 10, hey was healthy scratch for a long time, and couldn't even crack Buffalo's top 6 defence. Now we know why he was scratched for such a long time. We can only hope, he develops his game, but it's not looking too good.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#1098 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Connauton. I think Gragnani is a lost hope, and as some others has pointined, Career AHLer. Not saying the same might not happen to Connauton, but when I saw him play in pre season he looked real good. Not sure what happened to him, Gragnani was apparently very good in the 1st round against Philladelphia. Despite being a plus 10, hey was healthy scratch for a long time, and couldn't even crack Buffalo's top 6 defence. Now we know why he was scratched for such a long time. We can only hope, he develops his game, but it's not looking too good.

The problem is he's not a prospect anymore, he's 25 years old. So hoping that he's all of a sudden going to be a top 6 powerplay quartebacking defenceman is like hoping Ryan Parent all of a sudden becomes a top pairing shutdown D-man. It's very unlikely to happen.

It's time to start promoting from within and giving guys like Connauton and Sauve some ice time. Even if they struggle, that's part of development. The idea that our prospects are going to come in and be 100% ready and not make any mistakes is the wrong way to think.

Posted Image

#1099 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,479 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

Gragnani should be called up to play wing for the Twins; he's always in position to play tap the puck behind the net with Hank!

:rolleyes:

More seriously; its gotta be up to pre-season & camp performance. I dont see both making the team as both are small, although KC is a tough nut, and we are small enough already. Will KC's puck handling & big shot prove a better chemistry than Grag's passing and roaming game? In different ways, both are compelling at the offensive end. Who will get to the puck & move it at the defensive end, prove that he can compete against the bigger forwards on the boards & in front of the net? Thats the bigger question; whomever wins that battle is the more likely winner.

My money would be on Connauton. As some have pointed out, at 21 he's more likely to see growth and physically mature. To me he plays a harder game, always influential with AV. But I could easily be wrong?

And an edge goes to Connauton if Salo retires, for playing the right side.

I have heard these are 2 promising offensive minded Defencemen

I have not seen either of these 2 play much
Maybe some of You have seen them play or have an Opinion?

For those who do
Which do You think may be the Better Defenceman in the Future?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 04 May 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#1100 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

I don't know, I really like them both, Grags is better right now but Connauton could be better in the future, then again so could Grags.

Too tough to chose, tie.

:picard:

#1101 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

I honestly hate both players because i choose reliability over high risk.

Gragnani is a smarter player, and has the tools to be a better defense man. He's very frustrating to watch because he avoids contact. Plus, who the hell wants a defense man playing forward? I sure as hell don't, i hope that gets fixed. Get in position and use the body please.

Kevin Connauton is different. He's a physical guy, and a hard worker. He's a guy you like, but might not have the hockey sense to be as good defensively, and will make brain farts and take stupid penalties. Kind of like Bieksa.

Chris Tanev and Frank Corrado are the type of defense mans i like.

Edited by Rey, 04 May 2012 - 03:22 AM.

#1102 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:36 AM

I sure hope Connauton will be better than Gragnani.. Otherwise, we'll have two defenseman who can't play defense very well....

Edited by Wheels22, 04 May 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#1103 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:49 AM

maybe connauton next next season.........but not next season
sign suter 3 yr 13mil
sign salo 2 yr 5mil
release rome
release alberts

2012-2013

edler-suter
bieksa-salo
ballard-gragnani
hamhuis-tanev

Edited by lappy40, 04 May 2012 - 07:51 AM.

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#1104 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

I think AV will stifle Gragnani (even tho AV coached him in juniors) and Connauton's growth. No room for error for young kids on AV's ship.

#1105 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

Shea Weber!
that being said,

Tanev is good but really he is not tough at all, he should not have played in the playoffs over Alberts who is a big man that can punish the opposition..se le vie cant look back....

Gragani was not impressed whats so ever we are lacking tuff defensemen right now...Our whole defense squad sucked the big one this year..very disappointin

#1106 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

"There, you still see some junior guys running around and chasing the puck a little bit too much."

Like when Jensen chased the puck into oblivion to end his brief AHL season?
Posted Image

#1107 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Considering the apparent 'big money' spent on our prospect play development, scouting etc., it's time that we start seeing some of it come to fruition.

These guys all look like long-shots to make the club next season. But at least Tanev graduated.

imo Kassian should be labelled a prospect at this point as well. His spot is far from secure. As well as Gragnani. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#1108 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Connauton has 3 years more of potential development. He has a rep of not being very goiod defensively, but surely he can't be much worse than Gragnani, who is basically clueless in his own end and lacks the physical presence needed to play defense.

#1109 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

gragnani is very underrated i could  see him being our top scoring defenseman next year if he plays up to his potential and gets 1st pp minutes. You dont get 50+point seasons in the AHL by accident as a defenseman.

Grags just needs to take that next step and become an everyday defenseman who can play 18-20minutes and not be a liability defensively he does everything else quite well. (size,speed,shot,passing)

You're either the world's biggest optimist or totally clueless. I'm going with the latter.

#1110 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

I honestly hate both players because i choose reliability over high risk.

Gragnani is a smarter player, and has the tools to be a better defense man. He's very frustrating to watch because he avoids contact. Plus, who the hell wants a defense man playing forward? I sure as hell don't, i hope that gets fixed. Get in position and use the body please.

Kevin Connauton is different. He's a physical guy, and a hard worker. He's a guy you like, but might not have the hockey sense to be as good defensively, and will make brain farts and take stupid penalties. Kind of like Bieksa.

Chris Tanev and Frank Corrado are the type of defense mans i like.

You can't have all stay at home dmen. A dman like Beiksa jumps up on the play and puts up points but he also has a really good guy backing him up in Hamhuis who understands that he has to play the stay at home role when Kevin ventures into the offensive zone. Similarily, Tanev plays a stay at home style and would be a good guy to back up a guy like Conn or Grags, he is going to have to get more experience before he is ready to do that though as well as bulk up a bit.
When an offensive dman jumps up, CDC jumps all over them if they get caught deep but really they should also be looking at that players partner for not fulfilling their role as a backup. If you want offense from the defense, that presents the problem of finding a reliable dman to pair with......if it works as well as Hamhuis/ Bieksa, I couldn't be happier.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.