Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

The 2011-12 Chicago Wolves Thread

Speculation

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

Poll: Connauton or Granani (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Which defenceman has more upside,or do You think will be a more valuable Defenceman in the future ?

1. 22 yr old Connauton (167 votes [84.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.34%

2. 25 yr old Gragnani (31 votes [15.66%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.66%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 WolfKeeper

WolfKeeper

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

Haydar has a multiyear contract with the Wolves. Krog is headed to Europe as of right now.

I thought Desbiens contract was done with Vancouver. Any indication he'll be back?
I like beer. And hockey.

#92 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,533 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

No doubt. I'd actually like to see them bring Krog & Haydar back (Haydar at the very least). Veteran offensive guys will only help our young offensive players.

Rodin-Krog-Haydar
Sweatt-Schroeder-Grenier
Archibald-Friesen-Desbien

Something like that...

Exactly, if it's done right, it can help out the prospects a lot. It's always good to have some competition for ice-time, but you don't want it to get out of hand. I think they'll have their few veteran offensive and role players which will help, and probably a veteran defenseman or two.
Posted Image

#93 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Haydar has a multiyear contract with the Wolves. Krog is headed to Europe as of right now.

I thought Desbiens contract was done with Vancouver. Any indication he'll be back?

Glad to hear Haydar will at least be there. Who else is coming back?

You are indeed correct about Desbiens but I included him because I know nothing of the Wolves tougher power forward types and Desbiens is a pretty decent AHL player for Archie & Grenier to learn from.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#94 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,533 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:15 PM

The extent to which veteran minor leaguers are used depends on whether the AHL team is independent and has winning (or putting fans in seats) as the primary objective or whether player development for the NHL affiliate is the primary objective. Those are different objectives and may sometimes conflict. The Moose were good. The Wolves would not be good on this dimension.

Young prospects will make more mistakes than veteran minor leaguers. They have more potential but when they improve and make fewer mistakes they get taken away.

I'm sure if the primary objective was to win, and say eff it to the prospects we won't partner up with them. I think you can have a medium there, of course you don't want our prospects sitting in the press box or being demoted to the ECHL just so a bunch of AHL contracts can go for a Calder Cup. There is a fine line, that you have to find, a mix of veterans that can teach the prospects. As veterans are veterans for a reason, like you said they'll have an easier time at first then the prospects.
Posted Image

#95 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Welcome to CDC Wolfkeeper! We're on the same team now! Go Wolves!
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#96 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

I'm sure if the primary objective was to win, and say eff it to the prospects we won't partner up with them. I think you can have a medium there, of course you don't want our prospects sitting in the press box or being demoted to the ECHL just so a bunch of AHL contracts can go for a Calder Cup. There is a fine line, that you have to find, a mix of veterans that can teach the prospects. As veterans are veterans for a reason, like you said they'll have an easier time at first then the prospects.

Learning on the job in a winning atmosphere is also a major part of development and, like you said, there is nothing wrong with fierce but healthy competition for ice time especially since that will be the exact scenario they'll be facing when they get to the NHL level.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#97 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:26 PM

Interesting...

Edited by Canvoucer Vanuck, 26 June 2011 - 12:27 PM.

RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#98 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Mark Flood is Newfoundland bound, and all the other REAL moose.

The baby canucks will now be playing with the Wolves veterans.

This seriously shakes up your roster...

...and Seabrooke is a Flame who was on loan.

#99 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Glad to hear Haydar will at least be there. Who else is coming back?

Matheson

#100 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,533 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:53 PM

Interesting...

Lots of rumors with Kirk Muller, apparently he was going to be named the head coach of the predators farm team sometime this week.
Posted Image

#101 SpartyOn

SpartyOn

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

<br /><a href='http://www.chicagono...s-official.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Interesting...</a><br />

<br /><br /><br />

Ted is a regular on Wolfkeeper...if he says it, it's true.
Is it tripping or diving??? Never understood how it could be both.

#102 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Would be pretty neat if the Chicago Express ended up being the ECHL affiliates of our club as well. Very easy for our scouts to go watch our prospects developing. Would be easier if we had the Heat and if the Salmon Kings wouldn't have folded up.

Exciting stuff at the least, gonna miss the Moose tremendously however.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#103 Canuckitty

Canuckitty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:52 PM

As has already been stated, Keith Seabrook belongs to Calgary and will likely be playing in Abbotsford. On the other hand, we get to see what Mac Sharp has been doing. Unless something has changed, he's still a Canucks signee, temporarily swapped for Seabrook last season.

#104 Samk

Samk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

I don't think this is official and i'm still hoping it doesn't happen. I think Mike Gillis was hoping Kirk Muller would go to the Wolves but he's going to Nashvilles farm team, so that might mess things up with the wolves.

#105 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

Well according to the link provided by a poster on the General discussion forum,

http://www.presshera...2011-06-25.html

I think 99% Wolves it is. I already made my account on http://www.wolfkeepe...ewforum.php?f=1

They look like knowledgeable and welcoming fans. I look forward discussing our prospects with them. My account name there is Ox. :frantic:

#106 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

All-State Arena. This is where they'll play.

Edited by Ox., 26 June 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#107 Jake's_Dad

Jake's_Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

No doubt. I'd actually like to see them bring Krog & Haydar back (Haydar at the very least). Veteran offensive guys will only help our young offensive players.

Rodin-Krog-Haydar
Sweatt-Schroeder-Grenier
Archibald-Friesen-Desbien

Something like that...

isnt Grenier only 19 and going back for a 20 year old overage chl season?

the mooseheads just traded for him expecting him to???...........
-formerly known as macvic24

#108 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

I've heard that the Chicago Wolves are an organization that likes to stock up on veteran talent and gun for the cup, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out if they do end up as our affiliate. At the very least, I'm sure Gillis wouldn't affiliate with an AHL team if he wasn't confident it could help our prospects develop.But then again, I don't know how many options he's got..

Either way, the team starts off with a fresh slate. It'll be interesting to see how things play out for us.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#109 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:40 PM

isnt Grenier only 19 and going back for a 20 year old overage chl season?

Well he turns 20 before the AHL season starts, so I assume he can play in the AHL. Not really sure what the rules are on when a player has to turn 20 to be eligible though.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 June 2011 - 10:40 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#110 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,413 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

I've heard that the Chicago Wolves are an organization that likes to stock up on veteran talent and gun for the cup, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out if they do end up as our affiliate. At the very least, I'm sure Gillis wouldn't affiliate with an AHL team if he wasn't confident it could help our prospects develop.But then again, I don't know how many options he's got..

Either way, the team starts off with a fresh slate. It'll be interesting to see how things play out for us.

I think Krog is going to play in Europe, and my guess would be that Machacek makes the Jets roster this season.

Other than Haydar, I think guys like Sweatt, Rodin, and Schroeder are better, and should find spots on the roster. As for some of the other guys like Archibald, Friesen, Anthony, and Grenier, I think they're going to have to earn their spots.

The good thing is that the Wolves didn't even make the playoffs, so there's no doubt that they're going to want to shake things up.

Edited by DeNiro, 26 June 2011 - 10:47 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#111 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• 26,533 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

I think Krog is going to play in Europe, and my guess would be that Machacek makes the Jets roster this season.

Other than Haydar, I think guys like Sweatt, Rodin, and Schroeder are better, and should find spots on the roster. As for some of the other guys like Archibald, Friesen, Anthony, and Grenier, I think they're going to have to earn their spots.

The good thing is that the Wolves didn't even make the playoffs, so there's no doubt that they're going to want to shake things up.

Yes, Krog signed a one year deal to go play for HV71 in Sweden. I was just scrolling through EP, and according to them they [Chicago Wolves] only have two players under contract for the 11/12 season so far, them being C Kevin Doell and D Mark Matheson.
Posted Image

#112 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,521 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:54 PM

Even the Griffins have a dozen AHL vets on their roster.

How else are kids going to learn unless there are some vets around to learn from?

A guy like Mike Keane for example.

I think it's a good thing the affiliate is a team that wants to win every year. Not much different from the Moose, actually.
Posted Image

#113 Guest_Voucer_*

Guest_Voucer_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

http://www.chicagono...s-official.html

Press conference at 10 AM Chicago time tomorrow. Wolves are going to make the announcement, so we can put to rest any speculation and change the title of this section.

"Canucks Prospects & Chicago Wolves" :frantic:

ChicagoNow is a blog owned by one of the Chicago Tribune's subsidiaries. I'm pretty sure it's reliable.

Wolves and Canucks Official
Ted Gruber on 06.24.11 at 9:46 PM |

With much news coming from around the hockey news feed this afternoon regarding the Chicago Wolves, I can confirm through multiple sources the team is linking up with the Vancouver Canucks for 2011-2012 season.

The team has scheduled a press conference on Monday at 10AM regarding their affiliation and a possible coaching announcement could happen as well.

Regarding the coaching subject it seems that Don Lever is exiting that position after year and a half. He took over for Don Granato who was fired after a dismal start. Below are Lever's coaching stats with the Wolves.

-------------------------G---------W-----------L--------OTL------------%

2009-10-------------74---------48----------19---------7------------0.696

2010-11-------------80---------39----------30---------11-----------0.556

According to Hockey Inside Out, the site posted that Dany Dube from CKAC (Montreal Radio) said Kurt Muller accepted a job with the Wolves to become their head coach.

Nothing has been confirmed about the head coaching job by either the Wolves or the Canucks but I'm sure after the announcement things will quickly follow.

There has been a lot of discussion on whether the Wolves would indeed team up with a Chicago nemesis and indeed it has happened. Now before fans of the Wolves and Blackhawks along with the Canucks start marking days on the calendar to fight, don't be quick to judge the pairing.

The Wolves have a great location and are close to two major airports that are easily accessible for players to move from the Canucks to the Wolves and vice-versa. I have said in my past blogs the Wolves are a business first and with Don Levin and Co. leading the charge they are looking for the best fit as well as solidifying their AHL reputation.

With the Thrashers and the Wolves, they were on a hand shake agreement and I'm sure if Atlanta didn't get moved the Wolves would still be with a new affiliate this year. I think it really came down to Atlanta management not sure on what to do with their prospects and development.

Now before people run away with this information one thing I can confirm again the Wolves are the new minor league affiliate for the Canucks and that is probably the big announcement happening on Monday.

I will be at the presser and will be doing video as well as hoping to get interviews with General Manager Wendell Young.

This is a great fit for both parties involved and throwing out all fan feelings the Wolves will be a great team this upcoming year and hope to put the last few average years in the rear view mirror.

Edited by Quaker Oats, 27 June 2011 - 12:17 AM.

#114 nmuwildcat

nmuwildcat

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:36 AM

I accept that they will sign veterans but i just hope the first two lines aren't just made up of them. Players like Haydar, Garbutt and Deveaux where all wolves signings and all 3 of them where in top 10 for scoring, with few actual prospects being in there with them.

That's because the Wolves signed players were the only ones who cared. The ATL prospects were coasting around sulking that they weren't in the big show. The problem with the Atlanta Organization wasn't in the handling or development of it's prospects, it's that the NHL operated in a complete 180 from how they wanted their farm clubs run. ATL prospects had no problems playing and winning in Gwinnett. Had no problem when they first got to the Wolves playing and winning. It's after they got sent back and found out that even in the worst team in the NHL they still weren't "good enough" corrupted them. Another reason that Wolves signings were scoring leaders is that the ATL prospects were getting hurt and missed games. "Fans" watching the farm club via boxscores would sit and pout wondering why the Wolves players were getting more playing time.

I've heard that the Chicago Wolves are an organization that likes to stock up on veteran talent and gun for the cup, so it'll be interesting to see how things play out if they do end up as our affiliate.

I used to hear the exact same things about the Moose. That seemed to have worked out okay didn't it? And if I'm not mistaken, didn't the Moose pay for Krog's one year NHL deal just so they could have him?

Yes, Krog signed a one year deal to go play for HV71 in Sweden. I was just scrolling through EP, and according to them they [Chicago Wolves] only have two players under contract for the 11/12 season so far, them being C Kevin Doell and D Mark Matheson.

Matheson, Haydar, and Doell are the only signings so far. I expect Miller and Davies to be signed and assigned to the ECHL just as roster filler for when the Canucks start taking their prospects up and down.

#115 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,848 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

Well he turns 20 before the AHL season starts, so I assume he can play in the AHL. Not really sure what the rules are on when a player has to turn 20 to be eligible though.

if he's 20 before December 31st he can be sent to play in the AHL (and most teams will do this since it's more like the NHL than the CHL.

#116 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,848 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

I used to hear the exact same things about the Moose. That seemed to have worked out okay didn't it? And if I'm not mistaken, didn't the Moose pay for Krog's one year NHL deal just so they could have him?

The Moose would stock their team with prospects that were sent down and then fill the remaining positions with AHL talent. they would sigh a lot of AHL talent pre-season and then release anyone they didn't need/who didn't fit).

And you are mistaken about Krog, as the Canucks paid Krog's contract and gave him a fair tryout to make the team, which he failed miserably in. The Canucks genuinely wanted to see if Krog to turn his AHL leading scorer prowess into an NHL level talent if given a proper chance, but Krog failed to impress, looked out of his league, and was quickly sent down.

If the Canucks genuinely are using the Wolves, expect it to be on a short-term, try-out, basis. They will have a short leash, and if Gillis doesn't like what he see's expect the agreement to be terminated at it's soonest opportunity. The problem with the Wolves is their corporate culture, it's not focused around prospect devlopment like it was on the Moose. They will need to force an organizational culture change, the complete switchover of talent is just the start, they need to swap out coaches and management too in order to full change that culture, or at least a good chunk (whoever is stuck in the old culture and refuses to change). The problem is that the owner wants a winner, and that's how they market, so it's going to take a top down approach (from the owner down) and I just don't see that happening. Corporate culture is very hard to change, we'll see how it goes. mad props to them if they are able to do it, it's not easy to accomplish.

#117 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:09 AM

It's official now. 2 year deal!

#118 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,848 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:11 AM

It's a try out deal, lets see who they get as a coach.

#119 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,848 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

I guess this thread can officially be re-named the 2011-12 Chicago wolves thread, and the forum renamed to Canucks Prospects & Chicago Wolves

#120 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,587 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

saw this on CBC
the deal expires in 2013, so it sounds like this is just a short term thing tell the Canucks find a home elsewhere (hopefully in BC)
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Speculation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.